Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-10-2022, 05:54 PM   #1

Ceiling and Water Heater - 2016 Berkshire XLT 43B

Hello Berkshire Crew -

I have been lifting for a while and believe I have read every thread on Berkshires here and on irv2.

Wondering if anyone can help her. I had a 2016 XLT 43B inspected today and there were two issues of concern.

1. No hot water. It appears that the Atwood has already been swapped for the Truma Aquago. Where the RV was located there was no city water hookup so the inspector was using water that was in the freshwater tank.

2. Sagging ceiling. Something in the front of the coach is pushing down on the padded ceiling. It appears to be directly under the forward ac unit although the inspector noted there was no signs of water intrusion.

Has anyone removed a section of the padded ceiling?

Thank you for any insight you can provide!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	i129.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	161.4 KB
ID:	268728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220210_175140.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	216.7 KB
ID:	268729  
jwbunton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 06:34 PM   #2

With the Truma should be a black round control that plugs into the right side (looks like a telephone jack). It should either be mounted somewhere in the coach area-probably inside close to the water heater; or maybe in a drawer as lots of folks elect not to install it. If it’s plugged in sometimes you need to reset or mess with it. If not plugged in make sure the filter is clean and seated. If it’s air locked or it has a sail switch for water flow and propane before it’ll fire. If the coach hasn’t been used recently and it was winterized I’d also make sure that the bypass valves are correct.
Sorry I can’t help with the other issue, but encouraging no water intrusion. I’ve heard that the glue can sometimes lose it’s poop but that looks like a sharper bend than I would think.
Old 02-10-2022, 07:01 PM   #3

Thanks. I will dig into the Truma further. I was thinking there was probably a few things to verify before assuming it was bad.

There is definitely something that came loose in the ceiling and is pressing down on the padded vinyl.

Unfortunately the previous owner is passed away so tough to get a lot of history on the coach.

Coleman 300TQ Toy Hauler
2 adults, 4 kids, 5 dirt bikes
Old 02-11-2022, 04:19 AM   #4

The truma is a great unit- could be a setting. also it put into clean- the burners will not run for about an hour no matter what you do. There should be a dial in side. If you tun it clock wise you will put it into clean. Nothing you can do but wait it out.

That sag look like water to me, But fixable- depending on the price if the coach. I would look at the tv antenna, roof to front cap and being in line with the 2 ac duct possible duct sweating.

If it was on a dealers lot they would poke a small hole in the head liner and shoot some glue in there and roll it out. And you would never know.
Old 02-11-2022, 08:21 AM   #5

Thanks for your reply @dave-g

It is nice to hear all of the good things about the Truma and I am fairly confident it works and was a setting issue.

Coleman 300TQ Toy Hauler
2 adults, 4 kids, 5 dirt bikes
Old 02-11-2022, 08:48 AM   #6
Commercial Member

I would check the roof seals and also the a/c units as well. Loos like moisture may have gotten in by the air vents. The TRUMA is a great unit. Like others have said i would check the controller. Here is a pic of the dial/controller
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRUMA CONTROL DIAL .jpg
Views:	58
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	268738  
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 12:15 PM   #7

sagging ceiling

My ceiling looked like that 2 years after purchasing my FR Surveyor. Turned out the kitchen vent had leaked into it and $800.00 later, had the leak fixed and the ceiling damaged replaced...
SLU2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2022, 11:01 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU2 View Post
My ceiling looked like that 2 years after purchasing my FR Surveyor. Turned out the kitchen vent had leaked into it and $800.00 later, had the leak fixed and the ceiling damaged replaced...
Did you repair the ceiling yourself or take it to a shop? $800 seems very reasonable.
Old 02-15-2022, 12:31 PM   #9

We installed a Truma in Jan. 2019 and it was a great decision. If you go on Truma's website, there is a simple procedure to get it out of the clean mode if you did it accidently. It only takes about 15 minutes.
I have also called them once or twice and they are excellent to deal with any issues on the phone.
lander
Lander is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, heater, water, water heater