Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 12:57 PM   #1

Changing Fuel Filter

Anyone changed their own on either the 340 or 360 Cummins??

I want to do my own since I have free access to a "drive over" pit.

I'm concerned about the priming of the new filter after install.

I know you need to fill the new filter with fuel before screwing it on, but what else might need to be done??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 01:16 PM   #2

Boo,
If you pre-fill the filter you should have very little problem starting the engine after you change it. Also, the same for the fuel/water separator. You should buy a second bowl (clear amber bowl) that screws onto the fuel/water separator. It is not cheap, probably about $30, and install it on the fuel/water separator filter. When you take either of the filters off, be aware that the fuel will continue to flow out as they are also gravity fed. If you are not quick in installing the new filter, as I said, fuel will continue to flow out (ask me why I know that!! (LOL!) All in all, an easy job. Like changing the oil filter, they just screw on.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 02:01 PM   #3

Boo
I haven't done it yet, but I do know from my Freightliner course, to pre-fill the filters. The filters should be filled on the inlet portion, so that your diesel is filterered. I am not sure whether the center or edge is the inlet side. The Freightliner course suggested carrying a spare set of filters always and a gallon of diesel. This is for emergencies where a bad load of diesel caused the engine to sputter and is for changing on the road.

2012 Berkshire 390BH
Old 03-22-2015, 03:43 PM   #4

Hi Boo,

Camp Freightliner recommends doing one at a time and starting the engine between each change. It helps to eliminate vapor lock. Plug the center hole, I use my thumb and pre fill through outside rings. When starting if engines spits put your foot into the accelerator until it runs smooth. I have done it twice. They are on the passenger side and can be gotten to easily. Do not need a pit.

Part numbers are if interested for my 2008
Fuel Filter Primary Fleetguard FF 5632
Fuel Water Separator Alliance ABP-N122 R50419
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 06:46 PM   #5

There is also a manual priming pump near the filters. Mine has a plastic cover on it. It takes some effort and if filters are dry it takes quite a while.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
NV245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 01:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV245 View Post
There is also a manual priming pump near the filters. Mine has a plastic cover on it. It takes some effort and if filters are dry it takes quite a while.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Thanks to all that responded..... I' feeling better about it!!!!
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Boo,
If you pre-fill the filter you should have very little problem starting the engine after you change it. Also, the same for the fuel/water separator. You should buy a second bowl (clear amber bowl) that screws onto the fuel/water separator. It is not cheap, probably about $30, and install it on the fuel/water separator filter. When you take either of the filters off, be aware that the fuel will continue to flow out as they are also gravity fed. If you are not quick in installing the new filter, as I said, fuel will continue to flow out (ask me why I know that!! (LOL!) All in all, an easy job. Like changing the oil filter, they just screw on.
Did you find a part number for the bowl? I am looking to buy a spare one and have not been able to find a number on-line as yet.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #8

Here is a pic of the separator. You can see on the top of it is a red cover. That is the primer knob. Move red cover over and you have to press it down. Hope that helps. 
Name:   ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1436745536.335279.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  53.4 KB

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 12:05 AM   #9
Live to Travel!

With a drive over pit, I would say absolutely - do on your own. I have changed mine without a pit but always end up getting diesel on my clothes. If you don't mind a little diesel fuel smell and crawling around a bit, it isn't a difficult task.

2014 Berkshire 390BH
MightyOaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:20 AM   #10

I would love to see a shut off valve installed in the fuel line pre filter. That would eliminate a huge mess.