Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2011, 09:59 PM   #1

Unhappy Check Engine Light

Hi,
Took in my 2011 Forest River Berkshire diesel pusher with a Cummins ISB6.7 engine into Camping World for its first oil change at 4,000 miles. I like to make the first oil change early to remove any metallic particles or other debris from the lubricating system. The oil filter and oil was changed and the oil levels were dipped and proved to be normal, right at the full mark.

The drive from Camping World to the storage lot (6 miles) was uneventful and oil pressre was at 50 psi (30 psi is the minimum) and no warning lights on. This last weekend on a short drive from the storage yard to my home (2 miles) to do some cleaning and prepping for our 5 week vacation, I noticed the check engine light came on when the engine rpm went down to idle with oil pressure at still at 50 psi. When engine rpm increased (pressure still at 50 psi) the light went out. I re dipped the oil and it was at the full mark. The same thing happened again on the way back to the storage yard.

The owners manual indicates that the light on indicated the need for service. I cannot figure out what is happening with this and any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

Fred
Grid_Control is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #2

There are many things that can trigger the check engine light to come on, probably coincidence that it happened just after the oil change.

You can go to most parts stores and they can read the codes, or you can take it to the dealer, sounds like your rig is new so if you take it to the dealer they can address the issue as they read the codes. A lot of the time they involve cam sensors which can be pricey to replace (mostly labor) but if it's under warranty you are in luck.
flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Fred, we always take any chassis or engine issues to our local Freightliner dealer. They know what to do and how to do it.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #4

Check to be sure the fuel fill caps are on tight! Don't ask me how I know to check that.
donn is offline   Reply With Quote