Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-08-2017, 05:04 PM   #1

Closet Rod Centre Support Fix

BamaBob posted a photo some time ago of a fix to the problem of the centre support of the closet rod coming loose. I think he said that FR installed a plate to fix the problem.

I can't find that thread, so I'll post a new one with my solution, which might be easier for some people to implement.

I attach two photos of the fix.

Part of the problem with the original design is that the factory support is cantilevered, which places a lot of load on the screw nearest the rod. The other part of the problem is that the support is just screwed into the 1/4" plywood that is in the roof of the closet, and it isn't very strong.

So, my solution was to get a plated piece of angle rod, which had a length equal to the width of the closet ceiling. I folded the ends of the rod down so that I could screw the ends into the walls, if necessary.

I also drilled and threaded the factory supplied support bracket so that I could attach it to my angle rod.

This allowed me to attach the rod to various points in the ceiling. I expected that the strongest points would be near the walls at the end of the rod. But, I managed to luck out and found that I had installed the rod right below a wooden roof support, and I was able to screw into it with a #12 by 2 1/2" wood screw. I did check that the screw didn't go through the roof above!

Overall, this is very solid and has endured a lot of bouncing around when I had a pogo stick ride.

–Gordon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0566.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	237.5 KB
ID:	134169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0567.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	231.2 KB
ID:	134170  
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #2
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
I was able to screw into it with a #12 by 2 1/2" wood screw. I did check that the screw didn't go through the roof above!
Oh man, you've got bigger ones than I do...... That's a big screw!