Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #1

Completed oil change on 390bh

So no one would have to wade through 3 pages on the previous thread...
I changed the oil. It took 18 quarts; 16 of oil and 2 of Lucas oil treatment. I inflated the coach's air bags and had enough room to work. I used a Rubbermaid 30 quart storage box to drain into. It slid right under. I used Mobil Delvav 15w40 diesel oil. The spout is great because it telescopes out to form a tight seal against the filler neck. I could squeeze the bottle to empty it quickly and there was very little spillage. I used an old rubbermaid pitcher and funnel to get the used oil from the pan back into the oil jugs for disposal. It took about 2 hours
Tah Dah!!
Will
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #2

Good job Will! Not too big of deal right and the next time you go to do it it will cut your time in half now that you have done it once already.

James
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 03:30 PM   #3

Will did you lube it at the same time? Changing the oil is not a issue for me but all the grease zerts would be tough. I looked at a Lincoln 18 volt grease gun and think I will order one. They are a little pricey but last forever. Let me know what you did.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #4

Will,
do you have the 360 hp engine? My 340 only takes 16 quarts of oil. You add 2 quarts of Lucas along with the 16 quarts of oil. Just wondering.

Also, I need to get yearly state inspections of my coach here in New York. I have it done at a truck center and have them do a lube job at the same time. They charge about $50 to do the lube. Well worth it to me considering all of the fittings that need to be done.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 09:40 PM   #5

I have the 350. For 2010 that was the engine with the Allison 3000 and 10k towing. When I refilled the oil jugs I retrieved 18 quarts and the dip stick said "full".

I have no info on the chasis lube points or procedures. What is the normal service interval? I have a lube gun for one of my old cars.

I'm learning as I go.
Will
Old 07-06-2013, 01:57 AM   #6

thanks for writing about this.

did you change the 2 fuel filters while you were at it?
ex 2007 Jayco Greyhawk 31SS
Himcules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #7

I looked at the fuel filter and separator but wasn't sure how to procede. It seems that it will be a messy job with lots of spilled diesel fuel. Both devices are full of fuel and reinstall calls for refilling new filter and separator. I would like it if someone who has done this would walk us through it.
Will
Old 07-06-2013, 10:17 AM   #8

I bought a complete new fuel/water separator (and the amber bottom) and fuel filter. Which ever one I am doing first, I pre-fill with fuel and stand it in an empty small coffee can in a drain pan. Remove the old filter and install the new one- quickly- because the fuel will continue to run out as long as the filter is off. I repeat the same procedure for the other filter. Remove the amber bowl from the old fuel/water separator and save for the next time. Not hard but, as you say, it can be messy.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote