Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2016, 11:13 AM   #1

Condensation in corners of bed slide

Last night while sleeping moved my had to the corner and noticed it was damp on the wall. I was puzzled. Woke up and noticed a band from top to bottom on both corners of bed slide out Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1483028012.680381.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	127290of condensation. I also noticed the gap behind the bed had condensation on the wall as well. Question: is this normal? Has this happen to you? Any suggestions. It did not rain last night. We are complete level. BerkBH380XL
AlmondFarmer_Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondFarmer_Ca View Post
Question: is this normal?
Yep, normal. Crack a window or open a vent. It did so at areas with the least insulation like a corner that has an aluminum stud.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:25 AM   #3

Ok thank you. Yeah actually all corners on slides are like this. Just checked all interior corners. Thanks love this site
AlmondFarmer_Ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 11:33 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmondFarmer_Ca View Post
Ok thank you. Yeah actually all corners on slides are like this. Just checked all interior corners. Thanks love this site

Don't mention it

You might want to crack open the cabinet doors a little also. When I get condensation in the areas you mention I usually find it also on the walls inside the cabinets. Its all about ventilation and having 3 hybrid's along with late fall, early spring camping gave me a lot of trial and error experience. In addition to opening a window or vent a small fan on a counter or the dinette, and an electric space heater with coils, also helps to reduce it.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 12:20 PM   #5

Humans (us) aspirate a lot of moisture all the time but especially when we sleep. In the summer you don't notice it because the ac is running and pulling off moisture but when it's cooler out the moisture collects and condenses on cooler surfaces plus, your cook top and oven are pumping in water vapor as well.

I always keep my roof vent open and the fan on low when using my unit in cool weather... and usually a window cracked as well.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #6
Site Team

You can also add a pool noodle along the wall between mattres and wall to keep the mattress away from the wall allowing some heat to get in and moisture to get out. If you are getting condensation there, you may be getting it elsewhere. Depending on what is under the bed ( unheated storage or open ) you may have condensation between the bottom of the mattress and the bed frame. This is especially a concern if you have an inexpensive foam mattress as the moisture from your body will penetrate and condense on the cold bed frame surface.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:44 PM   #7

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
We have the moisture condensation in the cabinets in our slides and the base of our bedroom slide on colder nights. I tried the calcium chloride system,,,,but it only kept a very small area dry, and it was precarious emptying the salty bowl when it filled up. If you spilt it on your leather furniture, it's ruined. SO,,,,,I went to Target and bought 4 Vornado Flippi fans for $15 a piece. They're small and compact for later storage. Problem solved,,,,,I went to get a 5th one a couple weeks ago for my "point" on my Windjammer,,,,this year they cost $20. Still worth it. I also leave the doors open to the cabinets at night,,,,,,,that wasn't enough by itself. Now in the mornings when it's at least down into the 40's our cabinets, etc are dry. It works well for us.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 01:58 PM   #8

I put in a fan that circulates air through the spaces under the bed and through the cabinets.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:18 PM   #9

Why not go with Dehumidifiers ?

Pardon my ignorance, we are waiting for our first 5er, and had been considering purchasing a couple of small dehumidifiers to solve this type of issue.

But I note that no one, yet, has recommended them as a solution here. Are they just not going to work like I expect, or using air circulation just the better option period ?

Thanks,
DLoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:24 PM   #10

No ignorance noted...

Opening a vent and fans work better. Remember, a dehumidifier is really an air conditioner. The condenser is condensing the moisture out of the ambient air but, being an ac, it relies on warm ambient air. The air inside the rv will be cooler than in the summer and drier so circulation works much better...plus it's a whole lot cheaper to use..... (fan and vent).
Old 12-29-2016, 11:34 PM   #11

dloree,,,,sidecar has hit the nail on the head. Sweating cold walls are better addressed by the fans we're talking about than a dehumidifier.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:20 AM   #12

And, dehumidifiers are a power hog.
johnbryanpeters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:21 AM   #13

i had the same problem. bought a 30 pint dehumidifier. it pulled about half gallon of water a night. temp in mid 20s. still wiping down cabinets and closets every morning. dont waste the money imho.
gametaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:37 PM   #14

Thanks everyone re: the dehumidifiers.
DLoree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:45 PM   #15

One thing to always keep in mind is that, that condensation is also in spots you cannot see so it's real imperative to have the air circulation and not postpone it because that condensation can cause mild and rot to start to happen under the walls.

With my unit in storage, inside my equipment barn, I keep the vents open all the time and a window cracked to allow circulation.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:46 PM   #16
Ret E-9 Anchor-clanker

I agree with a ceiling vent cracked open. However when condensation is forming in one area there will be other areas. I found light mold in between the cushions and the slider walls. My cushions have a rubber side. To help prevent this during high humidity and running a ceramic heater, I will run a large dehumidifier. Power usage is worth it. An ounce of prevention is worth it? The whole house have a larger bucket (still needs dumped daily)and I have often thanked my stars for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sunpentown SD 65E Dehumidifier.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	127346  
donanddona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:44 PM   #17

Rule of thumb is... The more occupants (that includes pets) the more aspiration of body moisture there is, the more air movement there needs to be...
Old 12-30-2016, 06:51 PM   #18

Consider this,,,,,,when you have a glass of Ice Tea on a hot summer day,,,,,what appears on the outside of the glass? Same thing with a warm interior and a wall,,,,(the glass), and very cold temps outside,,,,,,,(the ice tea). A dehumidifier is too labor intensive for me,,,,fans right at the area blowing through the cabinets with the doors open take care of the situation with perfect results. I was in the AC business for 40+ years,,,,,,that's my thinking. Do what you think is best, but listen to the experiences on this posting and act accordingly.
Old 01-02-2017, 11:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLoree View Post
Pardon my ignorance, we are waiting for our first 5er, and had been considering purchasing a couple of small dehumidifiers to solve this type of issue.

But I note that no one, yet, has recommended them as a solution here. Are they just not going to work like I expect, or using air circulation just the better option period ?

Thanks,
We use them all the time - and love them! Not the big ones that you have to empty the water container but these babies:

https://smile.amazon.com/Eva-dry-E-3...ds=eva+dry+500

We have used them in our 5th wheel and now in our Motorhome - keep one in the washer when not in use and 3 others scattered around the coach. Every Saturday morning I will "recharge" them - takes about a hour or so.

In the Summer, when it is really humid, I put 2 in the basement to control humidity there. Since they are perpetually rechargeable (unlike dampRid) it is a economical way to keep our coach 'dry'
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, slide