Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-11-2017, 10:10 PM   #1

Considering a Tiffin Bunkhouse

All,

The Wife and I went down tire kicking a Tiffin Phateon bunkhouse today. Were considering giving up the Berk just do to the layout and the excellent service and sales we have at our local dealership. However, we also like the layout of the Monoco Diplomat bunkhouse. But, I'm concerned about one large slide down one side over the quad slide. Support and also under storage is a major concern.

Does anybody have any input that could help sway us? I don't want to leave the Berk family, but we don't have any reputable dealers in our area and the ol' girl is getting up there in age.

Any feedback is appreciated!
randyf74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #2

I to have a 2008. It is currently in like new condition and we use it about three months every year. On a DP you should be able to get easily 200000 out of the engine and drive train. Not much inside that any dealer cannot fix as everyone uses the same parts.

Have you thought of joining an RV group. You can get support from members on items you might need help with. I am with 30 miles of you. If interested in an RV group PM me.

BTW - I know of no good dealer around us for RV repair of any brand so beware of promises. Sales will say anything but are separate from service.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 12:11 PM   #3
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Do a lot of research before you jump into a Tiffin. Join and read the Tiffin Rv Network forum and see if you can handle the issues that seem to be prevalent in the Tiffins. It seems that many, if not most, who own a Tiffin have to make the pilgrimage to Mecca (otherwise known as Red Bay, AL) for service. I have read on their forum about people spending as much as 112 days there getting service. To be blunt that is just not acceptable for any brand of anything.
Old 03-12-2017, 01:07 PM   #4

That will not go on much longer. Din't I read a couple of weeks ago that the Tiffin will no longer work on motorhomes over four years old?
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:52 AM   #5

So why did I buy a used Berkshire? Support from factory.

A 1 day old Tiffin has no warranty to 2nd owner. And I read the same thing about 4 year old units. They are doing that because the factory is overwhelmed with work.

Also living NJ -getting to AL would not be an easy drive. But I guess I would no have to worry- they would not work on a 2012!
dave-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #6

I should clarify we are basing this decision on a bunkhouse model for our family sanity during our vacations and long weekends. Don't get me wrong we love the Berk and the chassis. Just the layout is no longer working.

The Tiffin choice is do to the proximity of a dealer, our excellent experiences with them, and the amenities in the Berkshire XLT. I really would like to get out of the need for propane and a Tiffin Phaeton is one way to do that while making the move to a bunkhouse.
Old 03-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #7

Randy,

I have heard rumors that a future edition of one of the Coaches from the Diesel Division will be full-on electric -- actually this is a foregone conclusion if the Diesel Division wants to remain competitive -- even within Forest River! (Dynamax is now equipped with AquaHot)

I would love to have a AquaHot installed in the propane bay in our coach if it would fit, but I bet the conversion would break the bank!!

Having said that though, why exactly do you want to ditch propane? If it is for safety concerns and driving restrictions (e.g. Tunnels), I understand completely! That's my desire as well.

If it is for usage, we have been pleasantly surprised that, with the use of the heated floors and fireplace and the excellent performance of the Truma tankless HWH, we are seeing 4-6 weeks of use between refills (we refill when we are at a 1/4 tank). Propane usage includes dish washing & 2 showers daily, and 5-7 loads of laundry a week .
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 06:12 PM   #8

Randy,

Why don't you look at an XL 40 BH? We have a 2017 with the ISL 9 380 hp and we love it. Our 6 year old child loves his bunk bed and the layout works well for us. We just finished a 8000 miles cross country trip without a single problem. The service from the Diesel division is excellent. We bought ours 2500 miles from home and we have never been to local dealer, they are not interest in us since we did not buy our coach from them.
Randy Houser recommended a local shop that handles warranty for FR and we are very pleased with their service..
Don't pick another RV brand based on the local dealer performance, there are a lot of good independant shops out there that will outperform the dealers in price and service.
If you like Your Berk, check out the BH, you will not be disappointed.

2017 Berkshire XL40BH-380
Chessie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:41 AM   #9

We saw the new Tiffin Phaeton Bunkhouse this fall and it is a sharp unit. 3 a/c's, aqua hot, etc.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:14 AM   #10

After a few long trips last year, Many of which at State campgrounds I spent quite a bit of time looking and filling propane. Its a hassle I could do without. Fall camping especially used alot. Plus the heated floors would be great for spring and fall camping!
Old 03-25-2017, 05:38 AM   #11

+1 on the heated floors. If connected to a aqua hot. Some floors are electric.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyf74 View Post
After a few long trips last year, Many of which at State campgrounds I spent quite a bit of time looking and filling propane. Its a hassle I could do without. Fall camping especially used alot. Plus the heated floors would be great for spring and fall camping!

Who do you go through so much LP? Do you run the furnace that much? I don't have a Berkshire but my Bounder I fell 3 or 4 times a year and we full time.
zuckerburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #13

Quote:
We find that with the propane only being used for the hot water that we can go about 6 weeks-ish before having to worry about propane
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:04 PM   #14

Last year I was averaging 4-6 weeks between fillups. This was for the furnace, hot water, ref and cooking. With the 4 of us I didn't think that was bad. Just a hassle to get filled. I defrayed with the Genny when I could.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:50 AM   #15

Take a look at the new Berk XL40C. Bunkhouse with a lot of nice changes (from our '15 Berk XL40 Bunkhouse)
Old 03-31-2017, 11:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxers-rule View Post
Take a look at the new Berk XL40C. Bunkhouse with a lot of nice changes (from our '15 Berk XL40 Bunkhouse)

I wish they would add the 3rd a/c on the XL unit.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:54 PM   #17

Quote:
All,

The Wife and I went down tire kicking a Tiffin Phateon bunkhouse today. Were considering giving up the Berk just do to the layout and the excellent service and sales we have at our local dealership. However, we also like the layout of the Monoco Diplomat bunkhouse. But, I'm concerned about one large slide down one side over the quad slide. Support and also under storage is a major concern.

Does anybody have any input that could help sway us? I don't want to leave the Berk family, but we don't have any reputable dealers in our area and the ol' girl is getting up there in age.

Any feedback is appreciated!
We have the Berkshire 38A: Bunks, Bath & 1/2, Fireplace (works great for heat so no need to use the furnace), and and induction hot plate. Propane lasts us a LONG time!
If you think bunks makes life with a family more peaceful, try a bath & 1/2!!!!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 12:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
We have the Berkshire 38A: Bunks, Bath & 1/2, Fireplace (works great for heat so no need to use the furnace), and and induction hot plate. Propane lasts us a LONG time!
If you think bunks makes life with a family more peaceful, try a bath & 1/2!!!!
I definitely went to the Berkshire's first. Like the layout of the 38A and the idea of a extra bathroom. However the tow rating wasn't 10K and I would like a little more HP under my right foot.

We do a lot of State campgrounds and I am attempting to avoid a tag axle with additional footage.

Can you tell me if the midship TV is accessible/able to be watched when travelling down the road?
Old 04-17-2017, 11:52 AM   #19

We saw the Tiffin bunkhouse this past weekend at North Trail - beautiful coach! I have had a Berk since 2012 and there is no comparison between the two. Three air conditioners w/ heat pumps, Aqua Hot, heated floors, multi-plex wiring, etc.

The only downside we saw was the bathroom door is tight to open when the coach is closed up in a travel situation. When I did some research, this is a common concern which has been dealt with removing the bunk doors (something we did in our Berk - only b/c I liked the open space.)
Old 04-17-2017, 12:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJM4 View Post
We saw the Tiffin bunkhouse this past weekend at North Trail - beautiful coach! I have had a Berk since 2012 and there is no comparison between the two. Three air conditioners w/ heat pumps, Aqua Hot, heated floors, multi-plex wiring, etc.

The only downside we saw was the bathroom door is tight to open when the coach is closed up in a travel situation. When I did some research, this is a common concern which has been dealt with removing the bunk doors (something we did in our Berk - only b/c I liked the open space.)
Thank you for the reply. It means a lot coming from a current Berk owner. But I am right with you after walking through a non bunk Phaeton. This is a tough decision. I'm heading down to personally check out Red Bay and the new Phaeton's next week.

Tags
bunk, bunkhouse