Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2015, 05:04 PM   #1

Coolant leak from generator

Got back from the Richmond race Sunday and the generator ran for about 50 hours straight (not my longest straight run, I've ran it for almost 100 hours) and I noticed today a small spot under it. Checked it out and it's antifreeze. Anyone else ever had this issue? It's still under the factory warranty for the generator and I also have a extended warranty until 2020 so that's not an issue. Just wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen. I dry camp quite a bit at NASCAR races and since new (July 2014) , I've put about 700 hours on the generator and it's never done this.

Thank you

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 05:35 PM   #2

Jason,
If it is a 2014, it is still under warranty. 700 hours in a year, that's a lot of generator time but it should not be leaking anti-freeze. Mine only has about 65 hours on it in 2 years. Don't dry camp much so only run the generator occasionally.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 07:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Jason,
If it is a 2014, it is still under warranty. 700 hours in a year, that's a lot of generator time but it should not be leaking anti-freeze. Mine only has about 65 hours on it in 2 years. Don't dry camp much so only run the generator occasionally.

Sorry, meant to say took deliver July of 2013 but it is a 2014. We run ours quite a bit because everything I read states use it or they break. We use ours about 90% while traveling and almost 100% when dry camping. Explains the 700 hours in 2 years. It is under warranty but I read online that the overflow reservoir is known to crack and wasn't sure if anyone else has seen this. Everyone with the issue runs theirs just fine for 100's of hours with no issues even though it's cracked. Mine goes in tomorrow to get repaired but still was curious if this is something I may see again once out of warranty.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:57 PM   #4

Not sure on your 2014 but there has been issues with the coolant tanks on the 7500/8000 watt Onan gensets. The tanks are known to crack near the top due to their design. If you google it I am sure you'll find further info. Not saying this is your issue but could be. I have seen them do this but not detrimental to operating and can still be run with no issues. Tank replacement is apparently not to troublesome. A friend of mine changed his on his own with no issues. All the best
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:53 PM   #5

I have around 500 hours on my 2014 390BH and no problems yet. My races are IMSA/ALMS - cars that have to turn left and right (enough petty stuff). Good luck on a fix.

Greg Spencer
2014 Berkshire 390BH-60
"Scout"

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Toad: 2014 Subaru WRX
gspencer4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, leak