Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-22-2014, 12:24 AM   #21

I have a problem giving people money for something I can do myself.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:45 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post

Amen......
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 10:46 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
I've traditionally done most of the oil changes on my trucks myself, but with my current one I take it to the dealer. It is a very valuable sales tool when I get ready to sell (usually sell things myself) to be able to get a report printed proving all maintenance was done properly and on schedule. Granted, I'm talking about a $39 oil change which includes a quick inspection. For $175 an hour you can bet I'd be doing it myself.
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:05 AM   #24

I used to refuse to pay someone to do the work, but with age I've found that I was willing to trade cash to avoid all the muscle ache's, scrapes, etc.

I sure wish I had the energy that I used to have.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 11:17 PM   #25

x2 plus I'm still trying to earn a living and raising 3 grandchildren, 13 year old twins and a 10 year old. After the kids, homework, dogs, house, work, etc. I pay to have just about anything done to the motorhome or anything else for that matter.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 08:40 AM   #26

With regards to the subject of this thread, namely Cost of Service; whether you do it your self or pay; my question to you all is "Does everyone do everything called out by the Freightliner maintenance schedules"?

I attached some of the schedules. For instance, do you change the axle rear oil and power steering fluid?

Of course, the less done the cheaper it should be and more easy if you do it yourself!

So, what do you all do?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Maintenance Schedule.pdf (79.2 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf 24 Month Service.pdf (59.1 KB, 44 views)
I-RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 09:17 AM   #27

When I did my 12 month service at a Freightliner service center, I had them print those attachments out and ensured they did the correct inspection.

Jason
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2014, 01:35 PM   #28

I just changed oils and filters in the genny and engine. I changed the fuel filters also. I will bring mine to someone to do all the rest.
Old 12-06-2014, 05:13 PM   #29

For those who want to know what is performed at the 24 month service interval, I had my MH serviced yetsteday at the Freightliner Service center in Gaffney SC. Attached is a copy of the invoice defining all that was done and the cost associated with each. They did things I did not know existed or how to service them. I also had my defective alternator changed under warranty. I hope this helps understanding the expenses of MH ownership and what needs to be done periodically. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1417904004.716649.jpg
Views:	323
Size:	909.3 KB
ID:	67210

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:06 PM   #30

Marty,
I didn't see a chassis lubrication (grease job) on the list. They don't do that as part of the service?
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:23 PM   #31
2014 360 QL

I called my FL dealer in Odessa Texas and they said that they did not have time to do any kind of service on a motor home ,,, and also they would not do any warranty work on it ,,, they are so overloaded with the oil field they just don't have time.
po 185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:17 PM   #32

Tom
I don't know if they did a lube job. It might be included in the service list. I left it up to them as what to do for 24 months.

Old 12-07-2014, 08:40 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mmnsc View Post
Tom
I don't know if they did a lube job. It might be included in the service list. I left it up to them as what to do for 24 months.

I had my 24 month service done at the Freightliner Oasis in Gaffney and have my invoice and maintenance list in front of me.

From my experience, they gave me a two page recommended maintenance list to me before the service and I had the opportunity edit the recommendations beforehand. After the service was done, I received an invoice such as what you displayed and the original maintenance list. The list was initial by the technician for every check/inspect/lubricate/change item. The invoice does not detail every item; it merely shows the material and total labor charges.

I did get surprised for the $164 Air Dryer Kit and $80 Air Filter. I could have however deleted them from the list beforehand if I I was aware.

Hank
Old 12-07-2014, 08:44 AM   #34

Oh, yes, they did a lube job and every item lubricated was listed separately on the maintenance list.

I attached the list earlier in this thread.

Hank
Old 12-07-2014, 11:15 AM   #35

Hank
That is true they gave me the list to edit. I looked at it and told them to do all recommended services. I looked at the list the technician initialed, but just wanted to share the expenses since there was so much chatter as to what needed to be done and what the various service centers charge.
Marty

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-12-2015, 03:21 PM   #36

Does not seem excessive to me given the cost and complexity of these units. I'm still researching the power steering filter issue just to make sure I'm prepared.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:25 PM   #37

I will be doing my own as well. Just recorded all the filter numbers and will order a couple as spares. Chassis lube is such a pain with the low chassis height, that is a good one for the local dealer from time to time. Gen and Engine in a year old when you take delivery by the time the chassis sits on a lot, and manufacturing process. So I changed by gen and engine oil and filter to begin with. Filters and oil, less than $100. Pretty simple.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #38

While at the Tampa show tmmar and I stopped by the Freightliner exhibit specifically to find out about the power steering filter. On our 390bh 360 the power steering filter is mounted in the canister in the upper right corner of the engine access (where you would check the engine oil level). The whole top of the canister unscrews and the filter is in the middle. The tech said the filter should be changed every 2 years or so. There are several different filters so you need FL to look up the model number based on the VIN. Surprisingly FL did not have the filters available at the show but you can order them directly from FL

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 02-18-2015, 09:09 PM   #39

Can anyone recommend a place in Chicago/Kenosha for 2014 400BH 360? Spoke to a FL dealer in Oak Creek and they had no clue - they were guestimating at 6+ hours at well over $100/hour.
AlexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:06 PM   #40

You should look into an Oasis Freightliner Dealer in your area. They know more about Motorhomes then non-Oasis dealers. Find one at.............

Oasis Network

Hank

Tags
service