Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-29-2016, 07:34 PM   #1

Crazy Traffic in PA, NC, SC

Traveling south on 81 in PA and 95 in NC/SC on the way to Florida. In each state rolling along at 64 mph then run into stop&go traffic for miles with absolutely nothing to justify it. Almost seems purposefully done. When we crossed into Georgia everything cleared up. All the delays cost me 3 hours more travel time. Anyone experiencing this? Any explanation?
Also had issue 3 times where a tractor/trailer passed my rig only to dive in front (causing a hard braking on my part) to make a now close exit! No idea why they couldn't simply stay behind me to take the exit. Seems like some truckers have a case against RV,s or something. Any ideas?

RKC02
Old 12-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #2

Yep, they don't like RVs!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:20 PM   #3

An accident or lane temporary lane closure, for whatever reason, could cause a 3-4 mile back up. Of course, by the time you get to the spot everything could have been cleared. I have been driving this road for over 35 years. Just on it a week and a half ago. Nothing you can do but sit back and enjoy the ride. As for trucks? Unfortunately bad road manners are not limited to cars.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:22 PM   #4

I'm heading down 81 from Carlisle, PA on Monday and was wondering where you picked up 95 at. I'm heading 81 to Knoxville, 75 to Chattanooga and the back way (27) around Atlanta and picking up 75 again at Griffin to Valdosta.

2015 GMC Canyon
thundrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinceU View Post
Yep, they don't like RVs!

I take offense to that comment. I'm a commercial driver and a safety and compliance officer for a large private carrier.

I have nothing against RV drivers excepting that I'd like to see the majority of them take a defensive driving course.

I drive an RV as well so I wear the pants in both seats.
SidecarFlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:16 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to B and B
I would say that no mater what people drive to do the pass and cut you off. Happens with the Truck and no Trailer. Just poor drivers.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundrr1 View Post
I'm heading down 81 from Carlisle, PA on Monday and was wondering where you picked up 95 at. I'm heading 81 to Knoxville, 75 to Chattanooga and the back way (27) around Atlanta and picking up 75 again at Griffin to Valdosta.
Are you towing? I am probably heading out on Monday also but our camper is already just south of Valdosta at near Lake Park. My route is I81 to I77 to I85 to exit 129. There I pick up route 53 to Rt. 11 to Rt. 83 to I75. I have already cleared this route but if you are towing the only drawback is Fancy Gap mountain on I77. That is about a 8 mile downhill run but I don't remember what the grade slope is. I have an exhaust brake and only tapped my brakes twice going south.
2005 Victory Vegas
Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:02 PM   #8

I'll be towing, yep. I'll check it out though.

2015 GMC Canyon
thundrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:57 PM   #9
Dragonship Captain

There's nasty drivers in all kinds of vehicles.

Many, many RV operators are doing a fine job. There are also people operating RV's that shouldn't, or at least should get some serious training. I see them on the road, and I watch the show when they maneuver around the gas stations/campgrounds. (Quite entertaining, but a little scary nonetheless.) They certainly have no clue about the limitations that affect a large truck or it's operator.

There are a lot of good truckers and then there are some not so nice "professionals." They may have had a negative encounter with the less skilled RV'ers described above or they may just be haters. I will say that the general level of the over the road drivers is not what it used to be. Turnover is huge, and especially the less desirable employers are pretty much forced to take anyone with a CDL that can pass a drug test.

The fifth wheel we just sold was 45 feet, with a 20 foot truck in front of it. Just for giggles and to meet the letter of PA law I went out and got a class A CDL. (A non commercial class A would have sufficed, but what the heck). I got a good look at the students going through the program and I can honestly say that some of them plain scared me.
Old 12-29-2016, 11:00 PM   #10

Just a note about I81 through the middle of PA. Many sections of this roadway has heavy fog. Please take note... Many many fatal accidents (almost weekly) as a result.

2015 Coachmen Apex 288BHS
2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7L CrewMax

Old 12-29-2016, 11:55 PM   #11

I drive I-81 every day in the Wilkes Barre/Scranton area and have family an hour south, so I'm well versed on this road. Best way to I-95 if you're heading south to VA, NC, and beyond: 81S into VA, then I-66E toward Washington DC, then US-17S. This dumps you out onto I-95 just south of D.C...you miss all of Philly, Wilmington, Baltimore, and D.C. traffic. It's about 40 miles longer, but totally worth it for your sanity, especially if you're towing a trailer.
2019 Honda CRV (camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 01:32 AM   #12

Long ago I drove an 18 wheeler on weekends for extra money. It was not a fun job. For over 42 years I've pulled an RV except for 2 years we had a class A. Could it be more regulations designed for safety put more pressure for more miles in fewer road hours? The majority are still doing a great job but that majority seems to be dwindling over the past 15 years. I had that discussion with a long haul driver last year while stopped in traffic due to a wreck far up the interstate. I got out of my truck and he dropped from his~ I offered a soda and he offer to make sandwiches since we would be there a while. He said he used to shake his head at drivers of passenger vehicles in the past but now it was almost 50/50 with semi drivers.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 04:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
He said he used to shake his head at drivers of passenger vehicles in the past but now it was almost 50/50 with semi drivers.

I agree. I have been driving an average of at least 60K miles a year for work since about 1990 here in western PA on I79, I70, I80, the Pa Turnpike etc. I have witnessed how semi drivers, who back in 90 seemed to be the most courteous drivers on the highway in most cases, have over time went to what you get now. Just drivers in general really. I will not go into the reasons why, you probably already know, and I get myself into enough trouble as it is.

OP- Have you considered that maybe the Christmas / New years week traffic is at play here? Another option for avoiding 95 is go a little west and pick up 77 to US 321 in Columbia and then hit 95 in Savannah. Not a hell of a lot further mileage wise but often way less aggravating.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:16 AM   #14

Most of the interstates have gotten a lot busier at least in the western Virginia areas. Not uncommon for a 3 to 7 mile backup in the Roanoke VA to Christiansburg VA area due to fender benders ( It happens almost daily). I77 has alot of truck traffic and the Fancy Gap Mountain area (Virginia MM 0 to 10 near the NC line) has dense fog at times and it is common to see a 3 to 100 vehicle pile ups there during the fog.

I'll catch flack for this but I find many more discourteous camper drivers that I do truck drivers.

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 06:41 AM   #15
World Wide Wanderer

Unfortunately we cater to the lowest common denominator when it comes to issuing drivers' licenses. And in most cases once you manage to obtain one you never have to retest or take another course.

I-95 is notoriously bad, especially on or near holiday weekends. I-81 is marginally better. I travel both of them on a very regular basis. I avoid the DC area, I will drive an hour out of my way to avoid it.

In many cases these interstates were built 30-50 years ago when traffic levels were much lower. The number of vehicles on the roads has continued to increase, but the size of the interstates in many areas haven't. If you think I-95 is bad you should see the I-5 in CA.

I do everything in my power to avoid traveling on holiday weekends, be it driving or flying. When we do travel I allow extra time and try to have alternate routes planned out to avoid problem areas. Google maps with the traffic feature turned on is a godsend.

Aaron

2016 Coachmen Concord 300DS
2015 Fusion Hybrid following along
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:09 AM   #16

Thanks for all of the replies and opinions. Yes I did assume this week would come with heavy traffic but with no lights, choke points, or other factors apparent, it boggles the mind to figure why traffic comes to a complete stop. Oh well, as stated we just chill and soldier on.
We travel from NJ and go 80 west to 81 south to 64east then pickup 95 at Richmond, VA. All to avoid Philly, Baltimore and Washington on the way to Florida. I was told that 77 can get icy and foggy this time of year.

RKC02
Old 12-30-2016, 08:21 AM   #17

Just because someone has a driver's license does not mean they know how to drive.

Love my Wildcat 295RSX!

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:29 AM   #18

Roads in SC are really bad. Also overcrowded. During any holiday period the 4 lanes of I-95 in SC turn into a giant accordion. Southbound at the start of the period and northbound at the end as people go to and from Florida. Go for a ways and then stop for a while. If you are southbound it continues and gets worse as traffic flows in from side roads until you get to the bridge at the Georgia line and it becomes all 6 lanes through Georgia to central Florida (almost.)
Georgia roads are the best and they recognized the need to 6 lane I-95 and I-75 many years before Florida. We have a long way to go to catch up and by then they should have been 8 lanes instead. South Carolina apparently believes someone else should build and maintain their roads. Their economy has been on fire for years and the population growing but they haven't seen the need to work on their roads except right around Columbia, Greenville, Spartenburg and Aiken.
We take back roads and avoid Interstates where practical and always in SC.

2010 Lexington 255 GTS

2000 Jeep Cherokee Toad
dontay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 08:31 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
I'll catch flack for this but I find many more discourteous camper drivers that I do truck drivers.

No flack but the 'worst' of most camper drivers I've found is not keeping up with traffic flow. However, the semi drivers want to be called 'professionals' and are more experienced. Just a growing number do not act like professionals of days gone by.
Old 12-30-2016, 08:40 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontay View Post
Roads in SC are really bad. Also overcrowded. During any holiday period the 4 lanes of I-95 in SC turn into a giant accordion. Southbound at the start of the period and northbound at the end as people go to and from Florida. Go for a ways and then stop for a while. If you are southbound it continues and gets worse as traffic flows in from side roads until you get to the bridge at the Georgia line and it becomes all 6 lanes through Georgia to central Florida (almost.)
Georgia roads are the best and they recognized the need to 6 lane I-95 and I-75 many years before Florida. We have a long way to go to catch up and by then they should have been 8 lanes instead. South Carolina apparently believes someone else should build and maintain their roads. Their economy has been on fire for years and the population growing but they haven't seen the need to work on their roads except right around Columbia, Greenville, Spartenburg and Aiken.
We take back roads and avoid Interstates where practical and always in SC.
Agree 100% on SC roads. I live on the NC/SC border and travel to FL, GA, LA and all south. SC politicians say it is because their gas tax is so low. Currently, 16 cents lower than NC but today fuel prices are lower in NC? SC has low property taxes (3 levels by the way for every parcel) and high sales tax as they do expect tourists to pay for everything! I95 in SC is bad, but the right lane in FL can really be a PIA, literally.