Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #1

Creaking and Popping noises at night in Berkshire 390

I have a 2013 Berkshire 390bh that I purchased in Dec '12. It's about to go back to the dealer for the 4th time due to an undiagnosed creaking and popping noise that occurs throughout the nights at all 4 corners of the coach. I finally experienced the leveling jacks punching through the jack pads last trip and Equalizer is sending the upgraded pads. However, even after the jacks punched through and I put the leveler pistons on wood blocks, I still had the creaking and popping sounds throughout the night so I know the pistons working through the pads is not the cause of the noises as some others have suggested. So, I'm at a loss as to what else to have the dealer try and it's starting to head towards a lemon law case if unresolved. The only thing that Equalizer has authorized the dealer to do in previous visits is to change out the hydraulic fluid in the reservoir for synthetic fluid. They did not flush the entire system as I had suggested. They have had the coach up on the jacks for a week and claim there is no drop in the coach and no change in the hydraulic fluid level which indicates there are no leaks. Even though I am convinced the noises are related to the leveling system, Equalizer is suggesting that it could be something else like the airbags. I don't believe this for a second.
Anyone have any other thoughts as this one issue is preventing me from getting a good night's sleep while I'm camping and that's unacceptable when we drop this kind of money on a RV?
bborder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 09:39 AM   #2

This appears to be pretty common with the hydraulic levelers and has been discussed on this forum before. There may be a fix, however.

Search for this thread "Popping/creaking" noise

There is apparently an additive for the hydraulic fluid that will fix issue.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:01 AM   #3

I thought I've hit all the previous posts and never came across anything mentioning an "additive". Do you by chance have more info on this?
Old 10-19-2013, 10:37 AM   #4

Try this link:
Here's the link: Cat Parts: Parts › Machine Fluids › Oils › Additives › Hydraulic Oil Additive
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 10:47 AM   #5
Director, FROG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborder View Post
I thought I've hit all the previous posts and never came across anything mentioning an "additive". Do you by chance have more info on this?
Try this link to another thread on the FRF:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ise-44579.html

I think you'll find some helpful information there.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 11:20 AM   #6

We sat in a single spot for 3 months in FL last winter and our levelers popped regularly (seemed like just the front, though) and we never changed from level. So, while it is annoying, it doesn't seem harmful.

Bill

Life is a journey, not a destination.
2005 Georgetown 359ts
Bill & Virginia, Kentucky
Nights camped in 2011...78 , 2012...73,
Nights camped in 2013...123, 2014 ...101
bend302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:31 PM   #7

So this fluid additive procedure is published by Lippert?

Are Lippert and Equalizer Systems one and the same??

If not will the Lippert procedure be OK to use for us with EQ Sys Jacks??

My jacks will sometimes pop but I've not noticed a pattern of when they do and when they don't.

I DO have to re-level my coach periodically when the coach "drifts" down enough to notice it rocking a bit; I do tend to be in a parking spot for long periods (two weeks to 3-4 months sometimes).

I've not noticed any leakage around the jack pads however; nor anywhere else for that matter.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:23 PM   #8

First trip after the Cat additive. Thought we were finally free from the popping noises as we had 2 nights of quiet BUT on night 3 and 4 the dreaded popping noises returned. Already been to dealer 4 times for this issue and also involved the FR factory reps. Lemon law time.

Tags
berkshire