Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2015, 09:22 PM   #1

Cummins disappointment

I hope this thread does not become a long story;

We are overnighting at a Cummins service center in Grand Junction, CO due to a lot of top end noise that developed on I70 enroute eastbound from I15. The coach was performing fine and there were no indications from the cockpit that there was anything wrong. But when the DW went to the back she informed me that there was a lot of racket coming from the motor...she was right.

Let me tell you how we got to this point as far as service;

I called Coach-Net and they deemed the coach operable because there were no indications, but I told them I didn't want it to get to that condition by continuing. So they located the Cummins service center here and said I could stay at there lot and wait till Monday when they open. Warranty would not cover emergency weekend service if it is not an emergency. So I called my Good Sam friends and asked them since the warranty won't cover the weekend mobile tech to come out (we were in a Walmart parking) and at least assess the situation would they? Well, they got it approved and the on call tech determined I have something wrong in the valve train. So, here we sit (hooked to 50 amp) waiting for Monday and the warranty work to begin.

I bought this coach because it is a "motor" home. While I thoroughly expected "coach" problems and fixes, I did not expect a failure on the engine or chassis. Right now I am VERY disappointed with Cummins.
tnbendr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 09:48 PM   #2

First of all I feel your pain as far as the mechanical issues. That being said I have owned Cummins powered pickups since 1998. I have also driven over the road trucks with the Cummins engine. The Cummins has proven to be a dependable and problem free work horse motor. As with any mass produced product theres always the chance of something not going as it should. I am confident in saying that the problem will be fixed and the Cummins will give you many miles of trouble free service.
mbrolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2015, 10:18 PM   #3

Thanks mbrolin, for the words of encouragement. Of course I'm not a happy camper right now, but I am sure also that it will get fixed right.
Old 06-20-2015, 10:40 PM   #4

Good luck on the repairs. When you are broken down its if little help to have people tell you how good Cummins motors are but that's what I'll say also. I would have ever confidence in them getting you up and running soon but it sounds like it could be a big repair. We are with you in spirit at least. Let us know how it works out.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Good luck on the repairs. When you are broken down its if little help to have people tell you how good Cummins motors are but that's what I'll say also. I would have ever confidence in them getting you up and running soon but it sounds like it could be a big repair. We are with you in spirit at least. Let us know how it works out.
What Phil says is very true and we all empathize with you. Hopefully it won't be a long repair.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 08:26 PM   #6
7 Year Class A RV'er

Before retirement, I spent a great deal of time traveling and thus waiting for delayed flights, etc. not once did me or anyone else getting upset or worrying about it make the flight timing better. In retirement, I have made myself a promise to just be patient and not worry about things I can't do anything about. Enjoy some quiet time with the wife, watch a movie, play some cards, relax. I know....easy for me to say. Hope they get you back on the road quickly, but don't let it ruin your trip either way. Take care.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 09:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Before retirement, I spent a great deal of time traveling and thus waiting for delayed flights, etc. not once did me or anyone else getting upset or worrying about it make the flight timing better. In retirement, I have made myself a promise to just be patient and not worry about things I can't do anything about. Enjoy some quiet time with the wife, watch a movie, play some cards, relax. I know....easy for me to say. Hope they get you back on the road quickly, but don't let it ruin your trip either way. Take care.
This is OK for you and I.... We are retired, have nowhere to go and the rest of our lives to get there.... If anyone has this kind of problem when on a 2 week vacation (or even less), it'd be hard to swallow.

I do agree with your advice.... Just that it's a harder to heed if you're not walking in our (you and me... retirees) shoes

OP, please let us know what happened to the engine. A major problem on a diesel engine that new troubles me.

boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 10:21 PM   #8
7 Year Class A RV'er

Certainly can't disagree. Like I said,much greener on this side of the pasture. Please do keep us informed.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 08:14 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
This is OK for you and I.... We are retired, have nowhere to go and the rest of our lives to get there.... If anyone has this kind of problem when on a 2 week vacation (or even less), it'd be hard to swallow.

I do agree with your advice.... Just that it's a harder to heed if you're not walking in our (you and me... retirees) shoes

OP, please let us know what happened to the engine. A major problem on a diesel engine that new troubles me.

boowho??
Thanks guys, I too am retired recently, so it's not ruining a "2 week vaca" per se...it's the fact that this engine has 3,646 mi and this should not be happening. It's what troubles me too.
Old 06-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #10

Most engine manufacturers will bend over backwards to make whatever is wrong with your engine right, up to and including a new motor. i had a brand new boat w/ Volvo engines and IPS drives, the first in the NW, and all I had to do was call and I had a tech on the boat. If he couldn't solve the problem a factory rep was immediately dispatched. I'm sure your experience will be the same. Keep us informed.
Roadmaster Falcon 2 All Terrain
SMI Air Force 1
seeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 03:19 PM   #11

Follow up;
Good news it is not the engine...my faith in Cummins has been restored! In addition to that, they were very helpful and professional in the way they handled my situation. However, they determined that the noise is coming from the mechanical drive system related to the compressor which is a chassis issue. They could have fixed it but I would have had to pay. So they called freightliner service center (which is right around the corner) and told them what they found. Now I totally get that everyone should perform there own diagnosis to be sure they are doing the right thing, but the freightliner folks here are not the same breed as the Cummins folks, they acted like they didn't know what they were talking about (I smell warranty posturing). Then to boot, they're certified warranty tech for that is off today, so here we wait again...but it is not the engine, YEAH!
Old 06-22-2015, 03:35 PM   #12

Great news. I know that is a load off.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:41 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbendr View Post
Follow up;
Good news it is not the engine...my faith in Cummins has been restored! In addition to that, they were very helpful and professional in the way they handled my situation. However, they determined that the noise is coming from the mechanical drive system related to the compressor which is a chassis issue. They could have fixed it but I would have had to pay. So they called freightliner service center (which is right around the corner) and told them what they found. Now I totally get that everyone should perform there own diagnosis to be sure they are doing the right thing, but the freightliner folks here are not the same breed as the Cummins folks, they acted like they didn't know what they were talking about (I smell warranty posturing). Then to boot, they're certified warranty tech for that is off today, so here we wait again...but it is not the engine, YEAH!
Wow, sorry to hear all that happened. That compressor drive system is pretty robust so I'm surprised that something went wrong. Also surprised that Cummins just didn't fix it for you to get you going even though it really isn't their issue. Will be anxious to hear what the final outcome is.
Old 06-22-2015, 03:48 PM   #14

Good to hear you Cummins is ok
keep us posted on the outcome.
435AH 12V VMax Charge Tanks, 520 watt Monocrystilline Solar Array, Morningstar MPPT TS-60 CC,Morningstar Remote,Cotek True Sine Wave Inverter,Cotek Remote Controller,50amp Progressive Hardwire Surge Protector
2015 Dodge 3500 6.7L 4X4
2011 CanAm Commander XT 1000
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:01 PM   #15

Had a similar issue with my '08. Found out that the pulley housing that holds the fan only had a 4 bolt mounting. It was found to have issues at times where it would come off the engine and the fan would shred and go through the radiator. I called Freightliner and they said that since it was not their part, even though they installed it on the engine, it was not their responsibility. After going round and round and eventually having the State consumer affairs involved, I got an email from the Chief Counsel for Daimler Chrysler. When I explained what safety issues were involved (travelling at 65 mph and having fan going though the radiator, shrapnel flying from the disintegrating fan cutting who knows what lines, and possibly flying into other vehicles travelling near by), they decided to replace it with a 5 bolt version. As you stated, warranty posturing.

Happy to hear that is not your engine and hopefully they will resolve the warranty dispute and get you rolling very quickly.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 04:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by captnrick3 View Post
Wow, sorry to hear all that happened. That compressor drive system is pretty robust so I'm surprised that something went wrong. Also surprised that Cummins just didn't fix it for you to get you going even though it really isn't their issue. Will be anxious to hear what the final outcome is.
I would rather that the Cummins shop fix it too, I felt more confident there, however, I can understand with business these days you have to justify every little detail to the bean counters and if this is a chassis issue then so be it. I did go back and talk to the manager at Cummins to let him know what was going on and he said if they (Freightliner) have trouble identifying the problem, he would send his tech over to help them. That's awesome...it's obvious who's doing the warranty dance.
Old 06-22-2015, 07:07 PM   #17

Broke down

I agree we are ret. and just got back from a 7 mo. tour. Didn't breach down but when you do you want it fix NOW !!! This should not happen to me. gotta go. I would hate to break down. But nothing I can do. Good Luck will look for for better news
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:34 PM   #18

Broke down

I agree we are ret. and just got back from a 7 mo. tour. Didn't breach down but when you do you want it fix NOW !!! This should not happen to me. gotta go. I would hate to break down. But nothing I can do. Good Luck will look for for better news
outloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #19

We ARE talking about the compressor that powers the air brakes right??

Those (I thought) are physically attached to the engine and gear driven off the camshaft (or something similar); NOT belt-driven as other accessories.

I always figured that would make it a Cummins problem, but I guess not.

I guess they could produce the engine for a vehicle that doesn't need airbrakes (a boat, maybe) and therefore it WOULD be a Freightliner problem.

I myself would always start with FL and then only go to Cummins after FL determined it was a Cummins problem; assuming FL didn't charge me an arm and a leg just to tell me to go to the Cummins shop.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2015, 10:48 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
We ARE talking about the compressor that powers the air brakes right??

Those (I thought) are physically attached to the engine and gear driven off the camshaft (or something similar); NOT belt-driven as other accessories.

I always figured that would make it a Cummins problem, but I guess not.

I guess they could produce the engine for a vehicle that doesn't need airbrakes (a boat, maybe) and therefore it WOULD be a Freightliner problem.

I myself would always start with FL and then only go to Cummins after FL determined it was a Cummins problem; assuming FL didn't charge me an arm and a leg just to tell me to go to the Cummins shop.

Boowho??
One could argue that either way I guess, but when I called Coach-Net and explained the sound they contacted the Cummins service center.