Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2015, 04:59 PM   #1

Dash a/c problem

2008 Berkshire 350bh
My dash air has never gotten very cold, so today I put a gauge on it.
On the low side, it was measuring just under 30psi...the lowest part of the "full" side. So, I decided to bring that up a bit.
I added 12oz of 134a, and it barely moved up above 30. So I added a second can of 12oz. Then the gauge started going up to 75psi...well into the red.

Now it cycles back down to about 40-45, then quickly increases up to 70-75. Stays there for a 10-20 seconds, then back down to 45 for 1-2 seconds.

And to top that off, the air doesn't feel any colder coming out of the dash.

I tried bleeding off some through the low side a couple times, but that didn't seem to make a difference. The 4th (and last time), some yellow oil came out. So I stopped that!

Any ideas what I need to do from here?

And in the big picture, does your dash air get very cold?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
chesterhull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 05:07 PM   #2

Mine is a 2014 and twice fixed by Freightliner and it dose blow very cold. First was a switch that failed and second time was an O-ring that failed. It's needed to have solid dash Ac in Arizona! Although NYC was hotter yesterday!

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 07-20-2015, 06:05 PM   #3

Hmm, interesting. I meant to add...the low pressure side tubing is pretty cold to the touch, and certainly condensating quite a bit, both the outside of the hose, and the condensate drain.

The high pressure tubing is just ambient temperature.

Old 07-21-2015, 10:18 PM   #4

So today I was working through this on the phone with an A/C tech. I put my gauge on, and it seemed normal...around 30-35 psi, and not fluctuating!
Also the air coming out was actually getting cold, unlike yesterday.

So we are thinking that I put too much in. And somewhere along the line the compressor kept trying to run, but had too much pressure (therefore the cycling I was seeing on the gauge), and the it finally cut off the compressor completely with a high-pressure cutoff switch. That switch probably reset, and today after I bled off a bit more, it started working fine.

That's what it points to at this point! I'll update if I find out something else.