Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-24-2021, 11:41 PM   #1

Dash fan for heat not working

Just bought a 2015 Forest River Berkshire 40XL. Drove it home and the heat was working. Made a stop to show the coach to the grandkids. Ran the generator to stay warm. Turned off the generator and started the coach and we had no heat. The fan on the dash would not work. Any suggestions ( where is the fuse located for the fan?)
Old 01-25-2021, 07:12 AM   #2

WAG

Just guessing...first compartment from the front, drivers side.
Good luck
Trappfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 10:19 AM   #3

Here is a picture of the fuse layout in the compartment under the drivers window.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0038.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	382.5 KB
ID:	246587  

btritschler1437 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 04:12 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Finfam5,
Here is the fuse you are looking for. Fuse #10. It is the front run bay under the driver area. it is a 25A fuse
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2015 Berkshire 12v fuse 1.1.2.pdf (1.13 MB, 71 views)
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 08:05 AM   #5

Dash fan for heat not working

I have a 2013 390RB and had the same problem. Turned out to be a bad splice in a wire bundle. It’s accessible on my coach thru the panel that lifts out of the top of the dash.

I’ve heard of others having this same issue so sounds like it’s problematic for Berkshires.

You’ll probably have to remove some electrical tape in a bundle to get to it.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 01:43 PM   #6

Pull cover open on top of dash and reach in to the wiring harness plug going to fan heater switch. Make sure that it has not come loose from back of switch. Sometimes the harness is not supported enough from pulling on the plug and pulling it loose as you go down the road. For what it's worth dept. John

2016 FR Berkshire 34QS
2019 Chevy Equinox Premier toad
feedfold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 06:29 PM   #7

I had a fuse in the fuse compartment blowing once in a while. Turned out to be seizing clutch on ac compressor.

It eventually seized completely and tore accessory belt.
AlexG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 12:25 PM   #8

Checked the fuse and found it to be ok. I opened the hatch over the dash, with the blower switch activated, and ran my hand over the wiring harness from the switch to as far as I could reach. Nothing changed. I have not yet begun to unbundle the wiring. Before I do that is there any neutral loose wiring connections I should check first in another location? Also, just FYI, everything else works on the dash. I can also hear the vents operating when changing from defrost, vent, etc. I suspect those are moved by air pressure??
Finfam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #9

You’re right about the doors that control where the air goes. There’s a small 12v vacuum pump in the compartment below the drivers seat.

Not sure where the grounds for the blower are. Maybe in that same compartment below the drivers seat.

My bad splice was such that it got bounced a couple of times by road bumps and the fan would operate intermittently.

Can’t recall for certain the color of the wire that had the bad splice but think it was red from the switch and orange from the fuse block.

Sorry I can’t be of more help.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 03:40 PM   #10

Before you start cutting into electrical tape and checking splices, you might want to get an automotive electrical test light and check the hot wire into the switch. If you have power there, it could be the blower motor or the switch. If there is no power to the switch then start working backwards to the fuse panel. This would give you a starting point and allow you to isolate where the problem is without spending hours chasing wires.
Old 02-28-2021, 01:37 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finfam5 View Post
Just bought a 2015 Forest River Berkshire 40XL. Drove it home and the heat was working. Made a stop to show the coach to the grandkids. Ran the generator to stay warm. Turned off the generator and started the coach and we had no heat. The fan on the dash would not work. Any suggestions ( where is the fuse located for the fan?)
Just an observation but when you say you have a 2015 40XL you may want to mention which 40XL you have...... there was a XL 40BH a XL 40QL and a XL 40RB that year.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:29 AM   #12

Sorry it is the RB. Secondly, thanks Dave6716 that makes sense.
Finfam5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:46 AM   #13

The ground wire on my MH is attached to tje blower motor using one of the four mounting screws for the blower. It is screwed into the plastic housing of the case and the screw came loose causing a bad ground. You may was to check the ground, common problem.
Ronnie

It is said the Good Lord does not take away from man's allotted time on Earth the time he spends Camping, Fishing or Hunting. If this be true, I may yet attain immortality!
wtbuck12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2021, 11:24 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexG View Post
I had a fuse in the fuse compartment blowing once in a while. Turned out to be seizing clutch on ac compressor.

It eventually seized completely and tore accessory belt.

Ok, thought I would follow up on this post because all of you have been very helpful. I checked blower fuses, followed wires, checked for power at the contact points, (couldn’t detect power on switch or motor) and decided I would wait until it got warmer to start removing the switch or the blower motor. In the meantime, because I had a trip planned and the weather was nice I decided to go without repairing it. Two hundred miles down the road the MH overheated and stopped. I was able to limp it to the parking lot of a truck repair shop. They found the belt burnt off and the AC pump froze. Five days later they turned it on and no air. Checked the main fuse for the AC pump and sure enough it was blown. They didn’t know about my dash air not blowing and surmised that when the AC pump froze it blew that fuse. All I know is that when they replaced that fuse the dash air functioned. I was checking the wrong fuse at the dash and I now assume that the problem was always the AC pump. So, kudos to the above post! I should have gone further with this advice but was trying to eliminate the simple fixes first.
Old 07-11-2021, 02:12 AM   #15

Where was the main fuse for the AC pump?
I’ve been looking for days is it F21?
DGurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 04:39 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGurt View Post
Where was the main fuse for the AC pump?
I’ve been looking for days is it F21?

I’m not sure what to call the two large “switches” above the numbered boxes. They both have fuses in the top of them. (I’ll take a photo in the next day or so, I’m not around the MH. ) It was the one on the right that was blown according to the mechanic. They said when they replaced that fuse the blower operated properly. I had check all the others, including F21, and they were all ok.

Tags
fan