Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #1

Cool Dealer Price Negotations

I'm wondering... maybe someone has some advice here..

I'm hunting for a Berkshire right now, and there are a LOT of them floating around dealer lots. Advertised prices are like $259,000 NOW ONLY $177,995... or something along those lines.

So if you walk into a dealership and say ... uhhh i'll give ya 150k for that one... what happens? How deeply can you negotiate with a dealer? How desperate are they to move these units? Does anyone have a fun negotiation story or a win there?

plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 12:49 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I'm wondering... maybe someone has some advice here..

I'm hunting for a Berkshire right now, and there are a LOT of them floating around dealer lots. Advertised prices are like $259,000 NOW ONLY $177,995... or something along those lines.

So if you walk into a dealership and say ... uhhh i'll give ya 150k for that one... what happens? How deeply can you negotiate with a dealer? How desperate are they to move these units? Does anyone have a fun negotiation story or a win there?

What happens depends on how bad the dealer wants to sell the unit.
Some may laugh you off the lot while others may think about your offer.
Think cash, it speaks volumes.
We paid $10,000 less for the lite.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:56 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! I honestly really do think that about 10k to maybe 15k is the room for margin drop on a new berk, but ya never REALLY do know. My experience so far at dealers has been sooooo strange! They are a breed unto themselves I've noticed. But the 'weirdness' I have noticed truly seems like high pressure desperation to me. Boss is standing over them saying you're not gonna feed your kids this xmas unless you sell that rv kinda vibe. I also bet they get a TON of tire kickers on the lot, and that can make one quite jaded. I figure this might be an advantage for me....
Old 11-23-2013, 01:02 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Watch for vastly inflated MSRPs...very common practice to show large discounts. I just recently seen on line pricing where identical campers had MSRPs where one was 24% higher than the other. The only difference can be the shipping cost and the dealership's honesty. Some dealers will show the factory MSRP sheet on the unit, others won't.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #5

Had all kinds of reactions from local dealers.
Camp world was the worst from the salesman to the parts dept.
When we picked out the lite the green placed on the desk made for some "interesting" faces.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

I can speak first-hand on negotiating for a Berkshire.... In 2011 I ended up purchasing a 2008 Berkshire 360 with 19K miles on it....... I found it online at Lazydays in Tampa, FL...

The initial asking price was $189K.... After some back and forth that was lowered to $156K which sounds like a good deal BUT being the determined salesman myself, I still wanted more... After a few hours more the price then became $126K... I decided to then play my last card - CASH !!!

I told them that I was tired of the back-and-forth and I wanted to know their final and best CASH price.... A short 30 mins later we settled for $89K cash.... All in all not a bad negotiation... We've now had it for 2.5 years and absolutely love it... Took a 4,000 mile 31 day trip this past July....

The moral is - their "best" price isn't always their BEST price....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:09 PM   #7

Interesting point you make Dave, and I would certainly believe that the dealers game is to get you involved in the hunt emotionally, and then just stand their ground on the price.. i figure this is going to be an 'offer and walk' game. As in, you tell them the price you would like to see, they say you're nuts, and you say well if you change your mind, call me... I'm headed to the next dealership, here's my number.

I bought a new car once totally over the internet by emailing every GM dealer within 500 miles the exact details of the car I wanted, and the price I wanted, and that I was already preapproved and ready to go. Some emailed me back and told what a jerk I was, some tried to justify the bigger price, one called me and said I have your car right, come pick it up.... and I did.

I would love to get a feel for what folks have recently paid for Berks. if anyone is willing to share. It just gives me a little nudge as to how deep to cut (or not) Maybe I find that 177 is a killlllller crazy price. (but i doubt it, I think there is always some room from a internet posted price)
Old 11-23-2013, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Idaho View Post
Had all kinds of reactions from local dealers.
Camp world was the worst from the salesman to the parts dept.
When we picked out the lite the green placed on the desk made for some "interesting" faces.

LOL! I think it's pretty darn hilarious when you just whip out a briefcase full of hundreds haha
Old 11-23-2013, 01:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernest917 View Post
I can speak first-hand on negotiating for a Berkshire.... In 2011 I ended up purchasing a 2008 Berkshire 360 with 19K miles on it....... I found it online at Lazydays in Tampa, FL...

The initial asking price was $189K.... After some back and forth that was lowered to $156K which sounds like a good deal BUT being the determined salesman myself, I still wanted more... After a few hours more the price then became $126K... I decided to then play my last card - CASH !!!

I told them that I was tired of the back-and-forth and I wanted to know their final and best CASH price.... A short 30 mins later we settled for $89K cash.... All in all not a bad negotiation... We've now had it for 2.5 years and absolutely love it... Took a 4,000 mile 31 day trip this past July....

HOLY COW, you just made my negotiation heart strings flutter my friend!
Old 11-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #10

Now how about this thought... I personally don't want to pay cash, and there's a good reason.. more or less, I would rather a bank carry the note on a depreciating asset AND the cash I have on hand, I have been turning in my business at a super high rate of return.. like 300x to 500x to 1000x... At this point, I would prefer my cash go back into the business as I see opportunity and can leverage it.

However, My financing is all setup outside of the dealer before I shop

Matter of fact, the whole MH is honestly for business. We travel like.. 7 to 10 times per year on business, and I'm sick of disgusting airports, crappy food, hotels, and man.... airplanes are the worst.. The last flight I had a super nasty guy right nearby who continued to pass gas as if he were at home.. he also didn't speak any english or very little, and I thought.. this is the last damn time I do this... I'm trapped in a sardine can, breathing this guy bodily odors.... what in the hell am I doing here! haha.. so I'm hot on the trail my friends..
Old 11-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #11

Plasma800...

I see you're from Houston... I'm up in Tyler myself... Coming down to Rayford Crossing RV Resort for six days the 23rd of next month... Got kids and grandkids to see....

Good luck with your search... To tell the truth - I like you was blown away with my final price... Totally wasn't prepared for it but jumped on it with both feet....
Old 11-23-2013, 01:20 PM   #12

Quote:

AND I would like to hear more about your specific tactics in this kind of negotiation.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #13

Contact me on PM and we will figure out a way to talk....
Old 11-23-2013, 01:23 PM   #14

Quote:
Plasma800...

I see you're from Houston... I'm up in Tyler myself... Coming down to Rayford Crossing RV Resort for six days the 23rd of next month... Got kids and grandkids to see....

Good luck with your search... To tell the truth - I like you was blown away with my final price... Totally wasn't prepared for it but jumped on it with both feet....
AHhh cool! My brother lives up that way in Lewisville. We're an old Texas family, and my wife's... even older than that. Her family has been in Houston for something like ... before it was houston. haha

Rayford crossing.. that's gotta be near the woodlands yes? My other brother lives right off rayford and sawdust near 45.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Contact me on PM and we will figure out a way to talk....
PM Sent
Old 11-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #16

Plasma800...

Thought you might want to see what we got....

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1579624815.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	42971

Name:	image-2383437330.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	42972

Name:	image-1846091031.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	42975
Old 11-23-2013, 01:37 PM   #17

Quote:
LOL! I think it's pretty darn hilarious when you just whip out a briefcase full of hundreds haha
Briefcase?

I will have you know it's called a "travel bag"......
Old 11-23-2013, 01:53 PM   #18

A couple things I've learned about negotiating a deal throughout my years on any kind of vehicle.

You have to let them know you are a serious buyer.

You have to mention you are leaving to visit another dealer or model.

On motorhomes, it's better to negotiate extras rather than a few bucks on the price. Like washer/ dryer, cargo slides, in motion sat. It cost way more to have them install them after the sale.

And the most important, you must walk away from it at least twice because of price. And let them know that's why you are leaving.

And one tip I would like to bring up if you are financing. Negotiate a lower interest rate rather than another $5000 off the sticker. Even a few points on interest will lower you monthly bill more than a 2k to 5k drop in price.

Have fun, shopping for one is almost as much fun as owning one.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:19 PM   #19

Quote:
HOLY COW, you just made my negotiation heart strings flutter my friend!
Try to negotiate from a position of strength. Even something so simple as sitting across from them in their office puts you at a disadvantage. It seems to make them more in control of the dealings; YOU want to be in control. Put them on the defensive immediately.

I used to call a half dozen dealers, describe the exact car I wanted and tell each one that by the end of their business to call me with their BEST price. Tell them they won't get a chance to give a "better" BEST price later.

Then when the calls come in, take the lowest one and buy it.

This can make them cry: When I bought my last Cadillac I told them the absolute most I'd pay. The said absolutely NOT. I walked out.

Three hours later they called and said they accepted my price. I said fine bring the car and paper work to my house and we'd close the deal at my kitchen table. Said NOPE we can't do that. I hung up.

20 minutes later they showed up in my driveway with the car and the paperwork.

Sadly, you have to treat most of them like dirt. Don't ever let them think you REALLY want the unit. They are trained to spot this, and will use it against you.

I NEVER test drive a vehicle; that's simply a ploy to get you excited. Drives them totally bonkers when they can't get you in the vehicle. If you must test drive, do it AFTER you've settled on a price or even JUST before you write the check (or sign the loan papers). And when you DO test drive it, (in the case of a MH) Weigh it, weigh it WEIGH IT. It'l cost you 10 bux at a truck stop.

Above all don't be concerned about hurting their feelings; you are only a dollar sign to them.

These are Boowho's rules of hard-assed negotiations. YMMV.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 03:30 PM   #20

Quote:
and I'm sick of disgusting airports, crappy food, hotels, and man.... airplanes are the worst.. The last flight I had a super nasty guy right nearby who continued to pass gas as if he were at home.. he also didn't speak any english or very little, and I thought.. this is the last damn time I do this... I'm trapped in a sardine can, breathing this guy bodily odors.... what in the hell am I doing here! haha.. so I'm hot on the trail my friends..
10+

I will NEVER get on another airplane, stay in a filthy hotel room or "schlep" baggage. Travelling that way is like crawling in a sewer; travelling is a coach is pure luxury.

boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer