Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-22-2019, 07:52 PM   #1

Dedicated Side Camera Monitor

Brand new Berkshire 45A owner here. Just got back from our first trip and love the side mirror and rear camera options while on the highway. I was thinking it would be great to have a dedicated monitor that I could mount on the dash to the left of the steering wheel that shows the driver side blind spot camera feed continuously. Has anyone done this or have a wiring schematic for the cameras?
RustyBerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyBerk View Post
Brand new Berkshire 45A owner here. Just got back from our first trip and love the side mirror and rear camera options while on the highway. I was thinking it would be great to have a dedicated monitor that I could mount on the dash to the left of the steering wheel that shows the driver side blind spot camera feed continuously. Has anyone done this or have a wiring schematic for the cameras?
I’ve driven many large vehicles before our motorhome and never had rear or side mount cameras. What is your fascination with a blind spot camera? Is there a specific blind spot you can’t see in the convex mirror located below your standard mirrors?
When I’m ready to change lanes or direction, I scan the mirrors all of the time, and only rarely scan what the camera may see.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 08:18 PM   #3

This is the largest vehicle I have driven and the 2 separate mirrors have a split in them where the view is not consistent. The camera view is one constant view that goes beyond the end of the motorhome and shows all vehicles beside me in 1 view. The only problem right now is that view of the left side of the vehicle is down and to my right on the radio screen.
Old 09-23-2019, 04:22 PM   #4

Quote:
We mounted 2 button cameras on each side mirrors (camera facing down the side of the Berkshire) with 2 monitors mounted above the driver's seat. Monitors stay on while driving and can be used for security when parked. Wires were run through the back of the side mirror. PM me for more details (my husband can explain the "how to" better than I can) But yes, it is possible.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 08:49 AM   #5

UPDATE - After playing with this in my spare time and some great technical support from Mario and Mark at MagnaDyne my multi monitor display is complete. If anyone else is interested in this I can set you up with what I ordered to make this work. All totaled about $200 into it.

Monitors come on when the ignition is turned on and they go off when the ignition is turned off. Left mirror camera on the left monitor, rear camera on the radio display and the right mirror camera on the right side dash mounted display. The feeds are live the entire time the ignition is on. Screens can be shut off individually if need be.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4098.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	295.6 KB
ID:	218516
Old 11-02-2019, 09:55 AM   #6

I think I'll do this but also add one to the roof so I can watch out for low flying aircraft. Let's see; that will be 5 monitors including my GPS. He said, tongue in cheek.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 11:19 AM   #7

Quote:
UPDATE - After playing with this in my spare time and some great technical support from Mario and Mark at MagnaDyne my multi monitor display is complete. If anyone else is interested in this I can set you up with what I ordered to make this work. All totaled about $200 into it.

Monitors come on when the ignition is turned on and they go off when the ignition is turned off. Left mirror camera on the left monitor, rear camera on the radio display and the right mirror camera on the right side dash mounted display. The feeds are live the entire time the ignition is on. Screens can be shut off individually if need be.
Attachment 218516
Good job! I'm glad you were able to get the set up the way you wanted it! Ours is only a little different in that the 2 side monitors are up high above the center of the cockpit so the co-pilot can also see them. Ours are on a toggle switch so they can be used while ignition is off for safety purposes while parked.
Happy trails!
Karen
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 11-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #8

I jus hit me. Is this using your already installed cameras, or did you add extra cameras?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2019, 02:11 PM   #9

Factory cameras already installed in the mirrors. Just had to get a couple wire harnesses from MagnaDyne and all of the work was done in the dash near the cameras. The large access panel behind the radio made it easy to work.
Old 11-05-2019, 04:52 AM   #10

looks good-

When i 1st got my mh I looked at the side cameras a lot. As my comfort level has increased- I rarely use them.
Old 11-05-2019, 06:46 AM   #11

This is in no way critical of any mods people do, but more of a thought on...when do you reach a point that all the tech starts to become a distraction while driving ? There is so much "Standard Tech" on new vehicles now a days and not all of it involves safety. Won't argue...that it's good to see what's around you.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:37 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
This is in no way critical of any mods people do, but more of a thought on...when do you reach a point that all the tech starts to become a distraction while driving ? There is so much "Standard Tech" on new vehicles now a days and not all of it involves safety. Won't argue...that it's good to see what's around you.

I agree- but one of the nice features of his upgrade is they are always on. IMO you should know there is a car when ever there is a car next to you- not just when you put your blinker on. I also like that ( I hope) the gps would now stay on the radio-and not switch to camera mode.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I jus hit me. Is this using your already installed cameras, or did you add extra cameras?
Our set up is done with 2 button cameras installed in side mirror arms with 2 designated monitors installed above cockpit. Original rear camera is separate with separate monitor and has no effect on the 2 side cameras/monitors we installed.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
Old 11-08-2019, 12:09 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWolfPaq82 View Post
Ours is done more for safety than anything. It isn't a distraction. We still drive using mirrors and common sense, but these days you can't be too careful. Especially when parked and you want to see if someone is creeping down the side of your coach.
2011 Honda CR-V toad

Tags
cat