Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2022, 07:07 PM   #1

DEF Head Issue

Well, it looks like I've been bit by the dreaded DEF head issue. Ironically enough, I was in the process of taking the Berky to our local RV dealer to have a failed slide motor replaced this morning when both Check Engine lights illuminated (the usual amber engine-shaped icon and the amber engine with an exclamation point) when I started the engine. The fault codes indicated failures with the DEF temp, quality and quantity sensors which, from what I've read, is consistent with the early stages of the DEF head failure. Of course it could just be the sensor, but that's not generally how things go in my world.

I called the local Freightliner and Cummins shops in Columbus - both have several day waits so I ended up at a Freightliner shop about 60 miles from home where they could get me in today or tomorrow. I'm currently "camping" in their parking lot since they couldn't get me in today. I'm first up tomorrow morning and should know more then.

I talked to Cummins support while waiting around today and they mentioned that there is a temporary ECM calibration workaround available now, but it can only be used when parts aren't available. I guess it's good news that there is at least some relief given the parts shortages, but they don't see to take into account how far away an "available" part is or how long it will take to get here.

Wish me luck - we're supposed to head off on a ~2500 mile trip next week. I hope we can make it.
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:38 PM   #2

Wow…sorry to hear! Hopefully they can get you going in the morning!
GnKnTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 07:56 PM   #3

Let us know how it goes. and good luck!
Trappfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 11:10 AM   #4

The shop confirmed that the DEF Header is bad but they can have a replacement here tomorrow. Looks like another boondock night at Camp Freightliner for me!
Old 10-06-2022, 12:27 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaviator View Post
The shop confirmed that the DEF Header is bad but they can have a replacement here tomorrow. Looks like another boondock night at Camp Freightliner for me!
I hear that the campsites are fairly level, but nothing really special about the ambionce or amenities.

While you're sitting around with nothing to do, you could always write a review so others will know what to expect!

LOL!!!
Old 10-06-2022, 12:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnKnTx View Post
I hear that the campsites are fairly level, but nothing really special about the ambionce or amenities.

While you're sitting around with nothing to do, you could always write a review so others will know what to expect!

LOL!!!
HAHAHAHA...although level, I'm basically sitting in a gravel lot with the shop behind me and I-70 right next to me. Not much in the way of ambiance, but amenities include your choice of fast food restaurants and a Love's truck stop!
Old 10-06-2022, 01:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by anaviator View Post
HAHAHAHA...although level, I'm basically sitting in a gravel lot with the shop behind me and I-70 right next to me. Not much in the way of ambiance, but amenities include your choice of fast food restaurants and a Love's truck stop!
Oh, a LOVES TRUCK STOP! Now THATíS Glamping at its finest! Iíve watched YouTubeís of folks staying there!

LOL!!! 🤣