Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-11-2015, 12:40 PM   #1

Disappointed in FR

Well, I've always been FR's biggest fan but I have to say I'm very disappointed with the non-action I've recently experienced...

As everyone is fully aware, I've been dealing with POJ steps for over 4 yrs now - all of which has been totally documented with Mitch at FR... Last week I reached out to Mitch and asked if FR couldn't do something to give me some relief... (I asked this after noticing several other Berk owners had had their steps replaced)... In my opinion Mitch totally bailed on me - he gave me the phone number of the manufacture and told me to deal with them...

In addition, my Diamond Shield has serious mildew issues around the headlights and knowing that it has a lifetime warranty, I asked if he could help me resolve this issue... Again Mitch gave me their phone number and told me to call them...

I realize that I have a 2008 model not a 2014 or 2015 BUT I'm as proud of it as all you other owners are of yours...

Yes - I'm a tad ticked off by this... I was hoping for more than phone numbers (which I could get myself)...

Soooo - I guess I'll just deal with this all myself... Thanks Mitch for all your FR assistance...

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:00 PM   #2

Boy, I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm not sure who Mitch is, so I can't comment on him.

I'm a little "bummed" that I still haven't received a reply to my email to Randy after about a week and a half. I'm going to have to look up his phone number. Maybe I'll get a better response.

But I'm with you on that no matter what year our coach is, it's still our pride and joy.

I hope you can find some satisfaction along the way.

Ken
KennyGolub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:30 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyGolub View Post
Boy, I'm sorry to hear that.

I'm not sure who Mitch is, so I can't comment on him.

I'm a little "bummed" that I still haven't received a reply to my email to Randy after about a week and a half. I'm going to have to look up his phone number. Maybe I'll get a better response.

But I'm with you on that no matter what year our coach is, it's still our pride and joy.

I hope you can find some satisfaction along the way.

Ken
I know Mitch so I am surprised at his responses. Also surprised Randy hasn't replied to you. I know them both and they are usually very eager to help. If you are using outlook as your email, send the email with high priority noting when you sent your first email and see if that helps.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #4

Yea...I gotta believe that they may presently be over-whelmed there.

I know our local service facility is having there busiest fall ever. And we are in a fairly rural area.

If it was anything but the slides, I'd probably just put it off until Goshen
KennyGolub is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #5

tmmar...

Right now I'm a little too pissed to talk to either one ...

Old 11-11-2015, 08:03 PM   #6
Berkshire 390QS

It looks like to me once a unit gets a little old, we have a 2009 Berkshire FR seams to bail out and the support goes away. We emailed Randy 3 weeks ago about an issue no reply.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 08:22 PM   #7

NO3putt...

You are dead on... When I finally got Mitch on the phone and gave him my vin #, the first statement out of his mouth was -"Oh - you've got one of the old ones..." And things quickly went downhill from there... I can positively guarantee you that if I had one of the "newer ones" things would have gone in a totally different direction. To be totally honest with you, that pissed me off big-time...

I can promise you my 2008 unit looks showroom fresh (except for the dang screwed-up diamond shield on the front)... I, like all of you take tremendous pride in maintaining the looks of my coach and regardless of its age I'm proud of it...

I plan on calling the step manufacturer but as you will all agree - I'll start a square one with them and it will be a major up-hill battle getting them to admit that their unit is a POS and needs to be replaced where I have years of documented evidence with FR... Sorry - my blood pressure is climbing so I'll stop my rant for the time being....

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Old 11-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #8

Not to be the devil's disciple, but since these rigs are drastically out of warranty, why should FR be expected to do anything? If you had a 2008 Ram truck, the dealer and Dodge would react the same way, right?

The warranty work is built into the pricing structure. After the warranty it's pure loss for the manufacturer who will also not reimbursement a dealer.
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:56 PM   #9

Breezy....

Breezy....

I totally understand your point BUT had I been able to make the Goshen rally they were going to replace them.... Due to a medical emergency with my wife, I had to come home and was unable to attend... Replace them then - replace them now...... I'm sorry but I fail to see the difference...

Old 11-12-2015, 12:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post
Not to be the devil's disciple, but since these rigs are drastically out of warranty, why should FR be expected to do anything? If you had a 2008 Ram truck, the dealer and Dodge would react the same way, right?

The warranty work is built into the pricing structure. After the warranty it's pure loss for the manufacturer who will also not reimbursement a dealer.

It's called CUSTOMER SERVICE !
A little known concept in a lot of businesses these days and especially in the RV industry.
It doesn't seem to me that ernest917 is looking for a completely brand new coach, just some help in keeping his coach in a good looking and safe condition. Also sounds like he might have a condition that should be given more consideration from FR than, here's a phone number. Even though it is a 2008 model.
I don't think anyone really expects a company to FULLY WARRANT/GUARANTEE an RV forever, but, more consideration than what I see here.
I am surprised at the response from FR in this instance as I own a 2008 8315SS, bought new from a dealer in 2010. By late 2013 I started to get soft spots in the floor that only got worse over time. After reading many entries on this forum I was able to trace the problem back to a flooring manufacturing issues at the plant during the time my TT was built in Millersburg. At this point my TT is almost 6 years old with a floor that's close to a trampoline and fast becoming worthless.
And NO factory warranty.
To make a long story longer, working through my local dealer and with the Rockwood plant warranty & service manager's, I was able to work out an equitable conclusion and FR replaced the entire floor in my trailer. Was it FREE, no! But it was a lot better than a phone number and a see ya later.
That's called CUSTOMER SERVICE! (and some consideration).
DW and I are looking to upgrade to a fiver and yes it will be a FR.
Sorry to hear of your 4 year issue earnest917, continue on the chain of command and I think you may still have a chance, at least I hope better than, "you are drastically out of warranty, why should FR be expected to do anything".
Good Luck

2008 Rockwood Sig Ultra Lite 8315SS
Livin the Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 08:28 AM   #11

Customer service, yes. Unlimited support? I don't expect that.
Old 11-12-2015, 08:47 AM   #12

Send a message via AIM to B and B
This is a one sided story Folks, before everyone starts jumping off the cliff like lemmings.

I would suggest that the OP take it out of the public view and try the step manufacturer route.

I agree on the statement fix it at Goshen fix it now but the OP may have to pay costs like shipping and installation at the dealer. Possibly this approach will get the steps repaired.
2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyhillfarm View Post

Breezy,
This is something that has been an ongoing issue for a number of years, not something that just started being a problem. If this had been your 2008 Ram Truck and you had an issue going on for years, you probably would have filed a Lemon Law suit to get the vehicle replaced.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:55 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Breezy,

This is something that has been an ongoing issue for a number of years, not something that just started being a problem. If this had been your 2008 Ram Truck and you had an issue going on for years, you probably would have filed a Lemon Law suit to get the vehicle replaced.

Depends on if it was out of warranty. If it wasn't, then reporting things in the warranty period would carry over until resolution. If out of warranty, I'd have to deal with it or sell it.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:01 AM   #15

Ernest sorry to hear about the failed support. I hope you can get things worked out.
Old 11-12-2015, 01:33 PM   #16

Good grief.... Didn't mean to open a can of worms here....

One final statement here - as I've already stated, this has been an issue for almost 5 yrs... I think I've been more than patient with this entire issue... After trying for this length of time to get some resolution from FR, I guess I'd be crazy to expect them to do something wouldn't i...

Sure - I could purchase new steps and pay to have them installed. I could even pay someone to remove the defective Diamond Shield and replace it with new... BUT why should I have too...

Anyway - thanks for all the input ... I'll deal with this when I have more time.... Right now I'm busy installing a new shingle roof on my house - by myself - so I'm a tad busy ...

Old 11-12-2015, 02:14 PM   #17

Ernest the Diamond Shield folks should send a rep out to work in the film. Even at the rally no one from FR really wanted to mess with it. They had a guy from DS fix it. So I think a new rig they would do the same. I still don't know if DS is a good idea or not.
Good luck with the roof. After doing my last house I swore I would never do it again. Miserable work.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:19 PM   #18

Yeah - roofing is no fun that's for sure but I just can't see paying someone $8-10K to do a job I can do for $2,600 in materials and lots of sweat.... I just for a roofing nail gun so that should speed things up by about 75%.... Plus save my dang thumb...

Old 11-12-2015, 02:33 PM   #19

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Ernest,

Hope you get it fixed.

Could make a Lemon Rap about Mistake buying a Berk..

2015 Heartland Bighorn 5th Wheel
2013 FR Rockwood 8289WS 5th Wheel
2012 FR Rockwood 2703 SS Travel Trailer
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #20

Not trying to start something here,but my dad always told me "everything has a service life,some short,some long". I havent seen the parts in this thread,but maybe it applies,and maybe not.
trbomax is offline   Reply With Quote