Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2017, 12:19 AM   #1

Dishwasher opens when turning corners

Our Fisher-Paykel dishwasher opens when we turn right corners (doesn't take much). I know there is a lock feature, but you have to supply power to it in order to use that feature. If we don't want to turn on the generator just for that, is there another trick to keeping it shut? I thought about looking for a child safety lock of some kind that would work.

Thanks!
Vernon
HabsOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 03:04 AM   #2

Can you mount some type of bracket or cabinet handle on the sides to a cabinet style and bungee it? No problem with ours as she rides shotgun in the TV. Fisher Paykel? That's a new one on me.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:30 AM   #3

You could plan your trips for only left turns! lol or maybe gorilla glue one of those magnetic cabinet door holders to the side the washer and door to hold it shut. One other thought check the hinges and see if there might be a way to tighten them some.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:40 AM   #4

I make my dishwasher "buckle up".
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:02 AM   #5

Mr Havercamp - I like that idea! That would work! Thanks!
Old 03-31-2017, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
You could plan your trips for only left turns! lol or maybe gorilla glue one of those magnetic cabinet door holders to the side the washer and door to hold it shut. One other thought check the hinges and see if there might be a way to tighten them some.
LOL! Left turn only - I like that idea! Good thought on the magnet idea!
Old 03-31-2017, 01:12 PM   #7

Really
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
Dragonship Captain

So I assume it is not powered by the inverter? You could make that happen and use the lock feature. No need to run the generator, it's a small draw.
Old 03-31-2017, 03:41 PM   #9
7 Year Class A RV'er

Our microwave did the same thing. We added one of the child latches like we use of the fridge and it works great. Might try that. I just put it under the unit.

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 07:48 PM   #10

"Duck Tape or Don't turn Right"! LOL!
2012 HD Street Glide
2008 Honda FSC600 Silver wing
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 08:24 PM   #11

Generators are made to run. Fire it up.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 10:02 PM   #12

I have the same problem with the same dishwasher in my Charleston. I'm worried that some day, the drawer will open so hard that the slide stops fail, and the drawer will fall to the floor.

I'm not familiar with the installation in your Berkshire, but I would imagine it's very similar to my Charleston. I have a couple of inches between the top of the dishwasher and the bottom of the countertop. I've been planning on fabricating a locking device that will mount just above the dishdrawer. I'm thinking that it will be a rotating lock, with a small extension that fits over the top of the drawer when needed, and then pull and rotate the lock out of the way when not needed.

I'm making this for myself, but once I've got it designed, it's no big deal to make a second one. PM me your address, and I'd be happy to send you one when I get it finished. It will look very nice, and be made of black plastic (or another color if you prefer).

I should have it done within a few weeks. I've got to finalize my design of a device to keep my refrigerator doors shut while travelling (but also allows quick and easy access when needed). The refrigerator doors on my Charleston open even more often than the dishwasher.

Cheers!
Carl
ckabrahamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsOnTheRoad View Post
Our Fisher-Paykel dishwasher opens when we turn right corners (doesn't take much). I know there is a lock feature, but you have to supply power to it in order to use that feature. If we don't want to turn on the generator just for that, is there another trick to keeping it shut? I thought about looking for a child safety lock of some kind that would work.

Thanks!
Vernon
Child safety lock. We use that for the fridge/freezer in ours. Home Depot has a great selection.
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
So I assume it is not powered by the inverter? You could make that happen and use the lock feature. No need to run the generator, it's a small draw.

Yeah I don't think the inverter powers it.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKNOLA View Post
Child safety lock. We use that for the fridge/freezer in ours. Home Depot has a great selection.

That's what I ended up doing as wellClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2598.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	134116
Old 04-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckabrahamson View Post
I have the same problem with the same dishwasher in my Charleston. I'm worried that some day, the drawer will open so hard that the slide stops fail, and the drawer will fall to the floor.

I'm not familiar with the installation in your Berkshire, but I would imagine it's very similar to my Charleston. I have a couple of inches between the top of the dishwasher and the bottom of the countertop. I've been planning on fabricating a locking device that will mount just above the dishdrawer. I'm thinking that it will be a rotating lock, with a small extension that fits over the top of the drawer when needed, and then pull and rotate the lock out of the way when not needed.

I'm making this for myself, but once I've got it designed, it's no big deal to make a second one. PM me your address, and I'd be happy to send you one when I get it finished. It will look very nice, and be made of black plastic (or another color if you prefer).

I should have it done within a few weeks. I've got to finalize my design of a device to keep my refrigerator doors shut while travelling (but also allows quick and easy access when needed). The refrigerator doors on my Charleston open even more often than the dishwasher.

Cheers!
Carl

We've had the refrigerator so that as well, and like you, we want easy access to it while driving. I went with this safety latch from Walmart for the dishwasher. It would work for the refrigerator as well, but would need 2...might be a pain. I look forward to seeing what you come up with! Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2598.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	134117