RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2016, 09:54 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
gasman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southwestern Mi
Posts: 1,232
Disney Fort Wilderness

Ok, throwing this question out there for some advice. Going to Disney Fort Wilderness in September. They have a variety of options for campsites. I have narrowed it down to premium or preferred campsite. Is the premium worth the difference for a forty foot coach. Also, do I really need to bring my car? I'm thinking that most things I will be able to transportation to, so I won't need it. Is the hopper option worth $100 extra? Any problem with pets? And any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.


Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:17 AM   #2
Always Learning
 
ependydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Four Corners, FL
Posts: 20,124
Oh! I think I answer a few of these here:

Learn To RV: Camping at Disney World - Fort Wilderness

> Also, do I really need to bring my car? I'm thinking that most things I will be able to transportation to, so I won't need it.

That's correct. Having a car can make it quicker to get to the parks, but for a vast majority of people- you don't NEED a car. In fact, I've done many hoteling trips where we flew in and didn't have a car.

> Is the hopper option worth $100 extra?

This is a personal choice. We are planners and know which parks we want to be and when. We've never had nor needed the hopper.

> Any problem with pets?

I've never heard of people having issues. If you really want, Disney has a Doggie Day Car.

> And any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Plan ahead of time. Disney is unlike any other theme park. Have a day-by-day plan. Know the park hours, when the fireworks are, where you want to eat, and try to plan things out. I sounds terrible, but you can have a better time with a plan vs. without.
__________________
2018 Ram 3500 DRW/crew cab/long bed/4x4/4.10 gears pulling a 2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
Checkout my site for RVing tips, tricks, and info | Was a Fulltime Family for 5 years, now we're settlin' down for a spell
ependydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:42 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
gasman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southwestern Mi
Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Oh! I think I answer a few of these here:

Learn To RV: Camping at Disney World - Fort Wilderness

> Also, do I really need to bring my car? I'm thinking that most things I will be able to transportation to, so I won't need it.

That's correct. Having a car can make it quicker to get to the parks, but for a vast majority of people- you don't NEED a car. In fact, I've done many hoteling trips where we flew in and didn't have a car.

> Is the hopper option worth $100 extra?

This is a personal choice. We are planners and know which parks we want to be and when. We've never had nor needed the hopper.

> Any problem with pets?

I've never heard of people having issues. If you really want, Disney has a Doggie Day Car.

> And any other words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Plan ahead of time. Disney is unlike any other theme park. Have a day-by-day plan. Know the park hours, when the fireworks are, where you want to eat, and try to plan things out. I sounds terrible, but you can have a better time with a plan vs. without.

ependydad, Great info. Thanks.



Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
JTN8's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 619
We stayed there a few years back. Great place! I brought our car because you just really never know when you'll need it. With the Berkshires, you'll never know its back there and doesn't change your fuel MPG. Yes there are plenty of options for transportation but then you're on there time instead of yours. We actually used the car quite a bit but that was us....

We did not do the premium spots and had plenty of room.

As for the hopper. That is a preference of what you want to do and see. I just retired from the NAVY and get tickets through MWR at a discount so we did that instead. When we go, we don't always hit the same parks so again it really depends on your plans and what you want to see and do.

I will say definitely come up with a planned schedule because there is so much to do and see that it gets a little hectic sometimes.

Hope this helps a little...




Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 Cadillac SRX (toad)
FB
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:07 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
gasman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southwestern Mi
Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTN8 View Post
We stayed there a few years back. Great place! I brought our car because you just really never know when you'll need it. With the Berkshires, you'll never know its back there and doesn't change your fuel MPG. Yes there are plenty of options for transportation but then you're on there time instead of yours. We actually used the car quite a bit but that was us....

We did not do the premium spots and had plenty of room.

As for the hopper. That is a preference of what you want to do and see. I just retired from the NAVY and get tickets through MWR at a discount so we did that instead. When we go, we don't always hit the same parks so again it really depends on your plans and what you want to see and do.

I will say definitely come up with a planned schedule because there is so much to do and see that it gets a little hectic sometimes.

Hope this helps a little...




Jason

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 Cadillac SRX (toad)
FB

Thanks Jason. We do tow the car most of the time, but since we're coming from Michigan and don't plan on going out of the resort, we probably won't tow it. I know that when we went to Disney many years ago and rented a car for the week, it sat in the parking lot the whole time. Just don't want to overlook a need for it.


Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:29 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Okeechobee, FL
Posts: 175
We are frequent visitors to Fort Wilderness. Usually once per month. Many questions can be posted on the Fort site - fort fiends.net. Yes fiends, not friends

Premium or preferred campsite - we prefer Premium as there is generally more room to maneuver a larger RV. The 600 sited is the best for us. If you are good at parking (remember garbage pails, newspaper racks, and neighbor cars are always an issue, any site is good. We just try to get something near the shops and/or bus.

car? - not for Disney area - however if you want to visit shopping, you will need a car. In Disney you can bus or boat anywhere. You pay a little more but food is also avaialable in the Fort.

hopper option - don't know as we have annual passes

pets - we leave our dog in the RV and come back a couple of times a day. Disney has on-site pet resort but I believe you still have to come back and walk to yourself. They usually charge $5 per pet per day?

Have a blast, you will love it.
__________________
Bob & Sue Rowan
Okeechobee, FL
2012 Coachmen Mirada 29DS (SOLD)
2015 Keystone Bullet Travel Trailer
2016 F-150 Lariat with Auto Trailer Backup
Dog = Morki (Yorkie-Maltese) - Zoe
Malabarbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
gasman94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Southwestern Mi
Posts: 1,232
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malabarbob View Post
We are frequent visitors to Fort Wilderness. Usually once per month. Many questions can be posted on the Fort site - fort fiends.net. Yes fiends, not friends

Premium or preferred campsite - we prefer Premium as there is generally more room to maneuver a larger RV. The 600 sited is the best for us. If you are good at parking (remember garbage pails, newspaper racks, and neighbor cars are always an issue, any site is good. We just try to get something near the shops and/or bus.

car? - not for Disney area - however if you want to visit shopping, you will need a car. In Disney you can bus or boat anywhere. You pay a little more but food is also avaialable in the Fort.

hopper option - don't know as we have annual passes

pets - we leave our dog in the RV and come back a couple of times a day. Disney has on-site pet resort but I believe you still have to come back and walk to yourself. They usually charge $5 per pet per day?

Have a blast, you will love it.


Thanks Bob and Sue.



Rich
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 304
We try to stay closer to the boat dock e.g. loops 400-500-1400 for a short bike ride to the dock. Direct to magic kingdom from there. Transportation bus stop is near the dock also. From within the campground, you need to take a local bus to a transportation bus stop to get any where else. We also tend to take the boat to magic kingdom and monorail to get to the main transportation center there. We haven't been for a while but there seemed to be fewer buses targeting Ft Wilderness-Wilderness resort (they share a bus).

Should not need a car unless you plan to spend time outside the Disney complex.
__________________
2016 Roo 21SS, 2016 F150
2015 Rockwood 2514G (pup), 2015 Fd Expl,
2003 Coleman Utah (pup), 2007 Fd Expl
Underthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:23 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Evereddie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pfafftown NC
Posts: 2,353
I believe that on the Fort Fiends site they have a table / chart of what the busiest days are for each park. Tells you when is heavy crowds for the particular day. It helped us pick the order of the parks we went to in Dec. It was great because we we able to miss the crowds. Maybe someone has a link handy to that chart.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:26 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 820
Its been awhile since we were there last. We had a TT at that time and we were there 12 days. The only time we drove the truck was one trip to the grocery store. Coming from Michigan and staying for a week? I'd leave it at home.

Each time we've gone, there would be at least one day we did two parks in the same day. So the hopper worked for us. Its just a choice.

One thing about Disney for us. Its so rare that we get to go that we try not to skimp on what we do. In other words, we'd spend the extra money for a hopper just to have that option. Some like to trim every expense they can. To me, I'd rather go all out and when we get home, start saving money again for the next trip.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:43 PM   #11
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
AquaMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tipp City, OH
Posts: 7,153
Last time we were there and camped, we didn't attend any of the parks. Instead, we went to Universal Studios. Things that we did do in the park were done by bus/boat/or monorail.
__________________
2016 Georgetown 364TS
2017 Jeep Rubicon Recon toad
Nights Camped 2019 - 17
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:44 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
chpence1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 149
Disney Fort Wilderness

We went several years ago but our thoughts are that it was a blast being on the property.
Have Fun!!!
__________________
2005 Dodge Ram Laramie, SRW
5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel 24 valve
2013 Forest River Thunderbolt XLR 380 AMP
Cow Bell
2010 Star Motorcycle Stratoliner Deluxe
chpence1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:59 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
bubbles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 5,400
We do the park hopper. We have the toad and it comes in handy for my getting to Disney golf courses on site without waiting for Disney bus service (Disney will transport the clubs, free between any of their courses). Of course we also need the toad just getting to and from the World from Texas. As said, it's all in what is better for you and sometimes what the budget will allow. Although Disney World and Budget is an oxymoron.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:03 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Mmnsc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Charleston County SC
Posts: 711
We just left Fort Wilderness yesterday. We go about 3 times a year. Our preferred loops are 400, 700, and 500 in that order. Ray walk to the boat to Magic Kingdom. If you are planning to have dinner at any of the restaurants it is best to make reservations well in advance of your trip.
As for the car we tow ours as we most often drive to the various parks to avoid the crowded buses It saves a lot of time particularly at the end of the day especially if you have over tired kids.

We have annual passes but even before then we always got park hoppers to have the most flexibility.

Have a good time.


Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:15 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Orlando
Posts: 695
I hear Disney is going to fire everyone working at Ft. Wilderness and bring in people from India on work visas. LOL

Seriously, the food there for the most part is way overpriced. It would be worth bringing a car just to go out and eat.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:34 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 820
Gasman. Here's a better idea.

Leave the toad at home. Borrow a small utility trailer and rent or borrow a golf cart from home. I'd rather have a golf cart at the Fort versus a vehicle to travel off the Fort.
KFX450RXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:45 PM   #17
Senior Member
 
Kels4g's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 289
We had a premium site in the 500 loop and loved it. There was a lot of extra length but not even enough width to put our awning all the way out. I think you could easily get by without a car- so long as you don't plan on doing anything (or very little) off property. You'll want a bike or a golf cart though because Fort Wilderness is huge.

We did not have any issues bringing our three dogs but you do have to specify it on your reservation (and pay extra) to be in a pet loop. We were charged $5 extra per day to bring our dogs (not per dog).

Park hopper or not is up to you- some people like it, some don't. We get it. I like to go to one park in the AM and then have a break in the hottest part of the day and then go back to a different park. We also get the water park option.

There is a dog park in FW for pups to play.
__________________
Kelly and Stephen with Daisy, Lily, and Roxy!

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015


Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:12 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
CampingGator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: North Central Florida
Posts: 1,629
We camped there last April. I think we were in loop 800. It was across the street from the pool and just a short bike ride to the lake for transportation by boat. They have a restaurant there that has a nice all you can eat set up. You won't need your car unless going off disney property. I believe you can even catch a bus to what used to be Downtown Disney, but now is called Disney Springs. We enjoy eating at Ragland Road, which is an Irish Pub atmosphere. Food is great and they have Irish dancers and music.

Park hopper - I would only get that if you have been to the parks a lot of times. Otherwise, stay in one park all day. Either go early morning or go so you are there late. Mid day is busiest.

We did not feel the need for a Golf cart because we have bikes, but that is an option for transport through the campground. Otherwise, buses come along and take you where you need to go.

You must plan your trip early. My daughter and her family went today for vacation and she got reservations, fast passes, and all done way ahead. If you don't, you loose out. I'm sure there is information on the web that tells you how to plan. There are a lot of nuances to a Disney trip. Not too early to get your planning done!
__________________
_____________________________________________

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
kennyairport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Monroe N.C.
Posts: 655
We do the pet loops try to stay in the back because it is quiet. when I had the mh we stayed right near the boat easy walk. we like to take the boats and do the resort hotel tours hardly go into parks anymore. we love downtown Disney(Disney Springs) and normally just take the bus, it is longer but if we imbibe....wink wink we aren't worried about the drive back.
__________________
See you down the road. ;

Ken and Denise new SOB Imagine 2850mk 2017 Ram 2500 ctd.
previous 2015 shamrock23s,2015 Ram Eco diesel
previous 1997 coleman highlander pup,1994 35rb Vectra,diesel,2007 Fleetwood arcadia pup.2005 ram
kennyairport is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 04:22 PM   #20
7 Year Class A RV'er
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 1,066
As an Orlando resident and season pass holder at WDW for about 15 years, here's what I can tell you (hope it helps):

1. For campsites, I would pay the extra for the premium site. Much larger and completely paved, whereas the other sites have a concrete pad with a sandy area surrounding them. That sand gets tracked into the RV - everywhere!

2. Be sure to tell them you have the dog; it can limit the areas in which you're allowed to camp and will save any misunderstandings later. They cater to pets and a lot of folks bring their dogs (us included), so definitely bring the pooch, just "declare" it.

3. You won't need a car - the public transportation will get you anywhere on Disney property, including Disney Springs (which was Downtown Disney until a few months ago). Take the boat across to MK, then catch the monorail to wherever you want to go. Much faster than fighting traffic, trying to park, etc. Also much more enjoyable and tailored for Magic Hours for guests.

4. To speed up travel INSIDE the Fort, you will probably want to rent a golf cart. We own a cart and always take it out there with us. Saves waiting on the buses, walking, etc. The whole place is very cart friendly. Reserve it in advance as they can and do sell out quickly when crowded.

5. September is HOT - bring hats and appropriate clothing! Once the sun goes down, it's usually very nice with evening breezes, but plan on AC full time.

6. Definitely go with the Park Hopper alternative and also look into the dining plan. The dining plan can save you a LOT of money!

Other than that, all you have to do is have fun. It's a great place (the Fort) and really nice for camping. Enjoy!
__________________
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:51 PM.