Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-09-2012, 06:01 PM   #1

Does anyone tow a Honda Pilot 4 wheels down?

We currently tow a Honda CRV and it is great. We would like extra room and are wanting a Pilot. Remco says it is towable without modification. Honda doesn't support towing a Pilot. We want a towable 7 passenger vehicle that gets 25mpg highway and costs less than $35k. The Honda Pilot is the perfect vehicle. Any ideas?
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 12:21 AM   #2

Same here. I need the 7 passenger and the 3500 lbs would be great. We are looking at a used Buick Enclave but a bit heavy at 4900lbs

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #3

We have a pilot and it would be awesome to tow it in the future. Maybe we should contact Honda directly and see what the issue is. I'm in warranty for like another 75k miles, so I probably wouldn't do it for a few years, but the idea is intriguing.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 09:11 PM   #4

I have a call into Remco(they sell towing accessories) to understand their position. If they provide me with a good answer, I'll contact Honda for an explanation. I was told the 2wd Pilot shares a similar drivetrain to the CRV. Both the Fit and the CRV have towing instructions in their manuals. At 4300 lbs, 25+ mpg, and around $32k, the Pilot is the best car we've found.
Old 07-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #5

I spoke to a rep from Honda and they advised that the only reason the Pilot is not approved for towing is that they have done no formal testing. I was also told that they have no plans to test it. That said, if there was an economic incentive they would probably do it. There is no prohibition against towing, only that if there was damage caused by towing the warranty would not cover it. Employing the procedure that I follow with my CRV is the same way one would safely tow the Pilot.

The Remco rep echoed the Honda position. He said that they have many customers who tow the Pilot. Following the proper procedure, the Pilot can be towed, as is. If there had been any issues, they would have changed their requirements(they make transmission lube pumps for other applications). Remco also said that both 2 and 4 wheel drive Pilots can be successfully towed.

I'm gettin a Pilot!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #6

Awesome! We got a 4wd pilot last December and I concur it's a very good choice, particularly if you need 8 seats. I'll most likely be towing it when the warranty expires then!
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 01:34 PM   #7
Site Team - Lou

2012 Dinghy Guide
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2012_Dinghy_Guide.pdf (3.16 MB, 529 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:50 PM   #8

The dinghy guide doesn't step into the grey area between "can it be towed safely" and "does Honda support towing". Thats why I spoke to reps from Honda and Remco. I have to feel comfortable taking a risk with my warranty. Our original choice was a Range Rover but that is expressly untowable.
Old 07-14-2012, 06:07 AM   #9
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood390bh View Post
The dinghy guide doesn't step into the grey area between "can it be towed safely" and "does Honda support towing". Thats why I spoke to reps from Honda and Remco. I have to feel comfortable taking a risk with my warranty. Our original choice was a Range Rover but that is expressly untowable.
I see.

Trying not to be a "wet blanket," but I hope you got what you were looking for in writing. While you may have gotten a knowledgeable rep who gave you good Intel, if something goes wrong you don't want to get the "Mission Impossible" disavowal from the company.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:11 AM   #10

Here is the page out of the Pilot owners manual:

Your vehicle is not designed to be
towed behind a motor home. If your
vehicle needs to be towed in an emergency, tow with all four wheels off ground. (4WD only)

I believe the problem lies in the mechanical construction. If I understand some folks at Honda correctly, the Pilot trans pump is engaged to the drive wheels at all times, along with the running power of the motor. So even with the motor off, things are still turning and building heat and pressure as you tow-possibly causing an trans over heat. The CR-V on the otherhand, when the proper proceedure is used, will disengage the pump letting you toe freely. Be sure to follow the proceedure listed in the owners manual exactly or you will have an issue.

Herk is right though- if you dont have something in black and white print, they may disavow as soon as they see your towbar!
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:46 AM   #11

Hondaman, as a fellow Honda lover, you understand my frustration. I'm looking at the best vehicle for my needs being dangled in front of me. I'm still waiting to speak with someone who tows a Pilot before I gamble.