Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2014, 07:25 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to RNuzzolo Send a message via MSN to RNuzzolo Send a message via Yahoo to RNuzzolo
Dometic RM1350 Temperature Problem

My refrigerator will not hold temperature on electric mode. Seems to work OK on propane. On electric I do not hear the outside fans working but I do hear them when on propane. Anyone got any ideas what I can check? Coach is level, plugged in to 30 amp power and outside temperatures are in 70's and low 80's. Thank you
RNuzzolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 07:54 AM   #2

What is your temp reading on the display? When I'm not using my coach but leave my fridge on while parked at my house with 50 amp, my temp reads 32 to 33 usually. When I load it the night before a trip it usually rises up to about 38 or so. After a day it goes back down to 34. If my kids go in and out constantly or I load it with warm bottles of water, it will go up to about 40. Once we go to bed and wake up and the fridge hasn't been opened, it will go back to 33 to 34... This is all while using electric and not propane. My fans do run on electric especially when my coach is parked at the house with no AC's running.

Jason

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
JTN8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 08:58 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to RNuzzolo Send a message via MSN to RNuzzolo Send a message via Yahoo to RNuzzolo
Thanks for your reply. Currently the temp is 39 on setting #4. Normally it is 36 on setting #3. It got up to 42 the other day and I have not been able to get it lower than 39. I did not understand that the outside fans did not run on electric power. I thought they ran on both. If I put the refrig on propane the temp will lower to 36 in a few hours but as soon as I go back to electric it rises back 3-4 degrees.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:05 PM   #4

I may have mis worded my response, my fans run on both AC and Propane. I meant that I notice them running at the house when my air conditioners aren't on and it is hot inside the coach. I keep my fridge on the coldest setting. Do you have a lot of stuff in the fridge? I've noticed when it is empty it runs hotter and when it is full it keeps temps lower.

Old 07-02-2014, 12:11 PM   #5

Also, if you take the exterior panel off and look at the metal chimney where your flame is at the bottom, you will notice two metal heat rods going in the chimney about half way up. Most only have one, but we have two because of the size of the fridge. Ensure that both are actually getting hot. If only one is working then that may cause the decrease in temps. It's not hearing it up enough to cool it off (I know that sounds weird) so the propane is getting it hot enough so it cools it off but your heat rods are not. As for the fans, they maybe not running on AC because it's not reaching a high enough temp to turn them on. With the flame from the propane it gets warm in there but again in one if the rods isn't working it's not triggering the fan. Just a thought.......

Jason

Old 07-03-2014, 05:02 AM   #6

Yesterday the refrig got to 42 but we did load some soda,beer, etc so I expected it to go up. Left it on propane during the night and it is back to 37 this morning. I'll check those rods this morning after I switch back to electric. Thanks again.
Old 07-14-2014, 08:52 PM   #7

I'll piggy back off of this thread instead of starting my own. Started the refrigerator today like always. Setting 5 on electric. Freezer is doing it's job without a problem. Refrigerator is struggling. Indicator shows "60". Just switched to LP to see if it will cool it down. If it does, any suggestions how to troubleshoot the potential electric issue?

Thanks
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2014, 09:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJvike View Post
I'll piggy back off of this thread instead of starting my own. Started the refrigerator today like always. Setting 5 on electric. Freezer is doing it's job without a problem. Refrigerator is struggling. Indicator shows "60". Just switched to LP to see if it will cool it down. If it does, any suggestions how to troubleshoot the potential electric issue?

Thanks

Like I posted previously, if it works on propane, I would check the two electric heat rods to ensure they are both working properly. If they are hot then they are good, if not I would check electrical issues like the board etc.

Jason

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums

2014 Berkshire 390BH
2011 cadillac SRX
Old 07-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #9

LP is working well. I'll try the heat rods in the daylight. Since the freezer was working well on electric, is there anything else I can look at before I have to call tech support?

Thanks
JJvike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:19 PM   #10

I bought fan kit online. now it holds 34 consistently , they blow across back of fridge up to vent. . I also installed fan inside fridge. these fridges are terrible, a guess that why you see new ones have residential fridge.
Old 07-19-2014, 02:23 PM   #11

What fan kit did you buy? They have two fans in the back already where does this kit go?

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #12
Berkshire 390QS

We have no fans in the back. Did your unit come with fans?
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 06:24 PM   #13

My 2011 came with two fans in the middle that circulate the air across the coils.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 05:37 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
What fan kit did you buy? They have two fans in the back already where does this kit go?

correct they have 2 fans up toward top you can barely see them if you jammed your head in there and look up. I removed cap on roof to let light down, then you can see fans from bottom when you look up. I have yet to see them turn on it was 98 out when my fridge would not go below 42. I bought a 3 fan kit, I mounted on bottom by access panel all In between coils and wiring blowing up towards roof. they have thermostat in line on wire I believe it turns on at 85 degrees, which I mounted near a relay that's warm so they run a lot. I also mounted the interior fan kit off light. all probably over kill but when my kids go in out of fridge a lot, it holds 34 degrees in fridge now. but the ammonia system on my 4 door fridge. was replaced after our first camping trip, all ammonia leaked out. so maybe tech did not hook those fans back up? I would have to take fridge out check it? Good luck all. as I think these dual fuel fridges are weird, but I do get it when you have run off propane.
now if I can get someone to tell me how to get front ac unit to cool better?
Old 07-21-2014, 05:49 PM   #15

fans

here is pic of interior , I will try to get exterior .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140719_193806.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	201.2 KB
ID:	58628  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:25 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post

here are 3 fans installed very tight getting them in there but maid huge difference
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20140629_124715[1].jpg
Views:	306
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	58806  
Old 07-23-2014, 08:10 PM   #17

This is great info. I need to do the same. What power source did you hook into? Does it have a t stat? Thanks ken

klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:29 PM   #18

in little black termination box, they tell you what terminal to hook in, i cant remember rt now?. yes it came with in line thermal senor turn on about 85 degree , in picture they have you would to remove fridge to mount up high in back. here is link hopei t works. good luck. Dometic add-on Frame Fan bracket, kit 2 fans, switch, & wiring - RV Cooling Unit Warehouse
Old 07-23-2014, 10:30 PM   #19

Thanks for the link. I will be ordering this also.

klucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 10:53 PM   #20
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

When I had my RM1350 it was slow cooling in the warm weather. My next step was to add the fans inside and outside the frig. But I traded the TT for a 5er instead before I did it.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dometic