Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Dry Weight for 390RB

IF you have a 390RB (preferably 2011), I'd like to know what your yellow sticker shows for the dry weight of the coach. Mine shows 23270... I have stack wash/dry, tile floors and table/chairs NOT booth.

I finally weighed the beast yesterday and was approx 900 lbs over on both front and rear axle. This was with full diesel, full propane, empty BW and GW and about 1/2 full fresh water.

Yes, I know some will answer I have too much gear and that MAY be possible. However, if the stated dry weight (yellow sticker) is accurate then I've got 6530 lbs loaded INSIDE the coach which is 800+ lbs more than TWICE the weight of my toad (Ford Fiesta).

I really don't think that's possible, but I'm going to start weighing the entire contents piece by piece over the next few days.

Thanks

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:07 AM   #2

Bill when I emptied our MH which I felt was well stocked for long stays it came to 835 lbs total. This is everything not needed to operate the MH. I was surprised at how little we had. Please be sure to post what you come up with.
This is going to be my advise to everyone that is considering a MH purchase please weigh the MH on the test drive. It costs 9 dollars and this info can be compared to the manufacture clams to see exactly what the capability is and if it is able to preform the use that you have in mind. If you don't know how to do this ask.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:31 AM   #3

2011 390RB40 Yellow Sticker

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1300745537.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	26862

Old 04-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #4

The yellow sticker will not include propane, fuel, water, people that may have stayed in while weighing & may not cover all factory installed options........ The yellow sticker is a guide......I would go by the actual "GVW" weight ratings of the MH

Good luck figuring it out...........

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
2011 Berkshire 390bh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oaklevel View Post
The yellow sticker will not include propane, fuel, water, people that may have stayed in while weighing & may not cover all factory installed options........ The yellow sticker is a guide......I would go by the actual "GVW" weight ratings of the MH

Good luck figuring it out...........
Actually Oak, I think it does include full fuel and propane, but not water, people or other contents.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #6

It does include fuel both LP and diesel. I have seen them weigh mine and they add the estimated weight if the tanks are not full. I also believe they add a driver weight but I may be wrong about that.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
2011 390RB40 Yellow Sticker

Attachment 26862
Yes, thanks for the image. I remember you posted it before and your empty weight was 980 lbs more than mine while your cargo capacity was 980 lbs less than me.

I believe my empty weight sticker may be understated by as much as 2000 lbs.

I checked the tires yesterday and they are good for 10410 on the front 19220 on the back. (5205 times 2 and 4805 times 4). So the limiting factor on the rear at least, appears to be the frame/suspension itself.

And with you gear weighed only 835 lbs I can't believe that mine would be almost 8 TIMES that much. I mean, I don't have any high density items like rocks, stacks of magazines, etc in there.

I have 8 large plastic tubs in the basement on two roll out trays. 4 of them fit in a roll out tray perfectly. I can easily lift the heaviest of the eight and I am not in good shape.

I'd say the heaviest of the 8 would be absolutely no more than 75 lbs. So, all 8 would max out at 600 lbs; and that would be VERY pessimistic. Other than those tubs I have only the normal stuff that most folks would put in a coach.

Regards

Bill
Old 04-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #8

Well, now I want to totally empty my coach and weigh it. I was right at the limit with the front axle, coach normally loaded and with about 1/4 freshwater tank and nearly empty black/gray.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joker View Post
Well, now I want to totally empty my coach and weigh it. I was right at the limit with the front axle, coach normally loaded and with about 1/4 freshwater tank and nearly empty black/gray.

I'd LOVE to know what your's scales out at empty. Use a CAT scale; find them at most truck stops. They are certified accurate and cost $10 or less. When you pull up on the scale there are multiple "platforms". Just make sure both coach axles are each on a separate platform and the toad is on it's own platform. The weigh ticket will then show three different weights; one for each platform.

When a commercial vehicle weighs there and later get's slammed at a DOT scale, CAT will either help you fight it in court, or just pay the fine themselves. BTW, those commercial overweight fines can be in the thousands of dollars; plus they will shut down the overweight rig right there on the spot. You're in the penalty box!!!

Boowho??
Old 04-05-2013, 12:03 PM   #10
2012 Solera

Boo - Have you re-weighed at a different place? Hard to believe you are that far over, given what you've said here... Water, of course, is a big adder - 800 pounds for 100 gallons, still hard to believe you could be 1800 pounds overweight.
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #11
2012 Solera

One other thought - if your "normal stuff that most folks would put in a coach" includes the Herk's list of "essential tools", that might put you over ...
JLeising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLeising View Post
Boo - Have you re-weighed at a different place? Hard to believe you are that far over, given what you've said here... Water, of course, is a big adder - 800 pounds for 100 gallons, still hard to believe you could be 1800 pounds overweight.

Thanks, I WILL weigh it again when I leave here at the end of the month. I emailed FR about it and Randy Houser said they'd "look into it". Not sure what that means.

The CAT scales as I said, are notoriously accurate. I suppose the weighmaster could have screwed up because of it being a MH; 99.9% of that business is 18 wheelers, I'd imagine.

IF it was the toad with the issue, I'd suspect that some smart*** trucker pulled his steer axle onto the same platform as the toad!! Truckers pretty much hate RV'ers don'tcha, know??

Finally, I'm trying to track down a fellow Escapee (SKP) member who is a retired cop and an expert on weight problems with coaches. He does seminars, etc for SKP members.

Boowho??
Old 04-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #13

BooWho

I just checked the certificate on my 2011 390RB60
Dry Weight 23050
Combined Weight of Occupant & Cargo should not exceed 2520 kg or 5555 lBs
Caution on water weight and tongue weight same as yours.

I too plan one day to weight it on a scale, although finding the time is another thing.

All the best

George & Diana
GHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:07 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHodge View Post
BooWho

Dry Weight 23050

I too plan one day to weight it on a scale, although finding the time is another thing.

All the best

George & Diana
Interesting..... With 5555 lbs of carrying capacity maybe you are on a "beefier" chassis. Mine is an 390RB-40 (340HP.... 10410 front 17500 rear axle capacity) so that could make a difference. Yet, my dry weight is heavier than yours.

Thanks for your info.....

Boowho??
Old 04-06-2013, 07:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHodge View Post
BooWho

Dry Weight 23050

All the best

George & Diana
Zero chance your empty weight is 23050. You will have a greater GVW because of the 3000 transmission.

Old 04-06-2013, 07:16 PM   #16

Quote:
Zero chance your empty weight is 23050. You will have a greater GVW because of the 3000 transmission.

Phil....

You are saying that our coaches empty weight is much MORE than what's stated on the sticker? That's the way I suspect things are...... I would not be surprised to find my empty weight 2-3K lbs more than stated.

Boowho??
Old 04-06-2013, 07:32 PM   #17

Click image for larger version

Name:	MH Weight Doc.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	27257

If the upload worked, you should see the image of my certificate. If they are artifically low we run the risk of being declared over weight if we are weighed.

George & Diana
GHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:57 PM   #18

I have posted my yellow sticker several time and don't have it handy but I can say that my 2011 390 RB 40 with tile floors a stack washer dryer ,4 door frig front behind passenger seat and booth type dinette weighs 26940 empty with full fuel and full LP. Also the DEF was full. Other than that the coach was empty as it came off the line in Elkhart. The front axel was 10200 and the rear 16740. This was weighed at a truck stop and also at FR factory scales. The same ones that weigh all the MH as they leave the line. My yellow sticker is on the thread a few posts up. The yellow sticker dry weight must include all fuels that a RV will use. That is by DOT and as it is written includes LP and diesel. If you think back when you received you coach from the dealer it was full? Mine was and I was told that was law. I did talk to the dept of transportation and that is what they told me also. I have the documents at home and can forward them if interested.
When I removed everything from my MH I took the time to weigh every item and I had 835 LBS of gear on board. I had a average stock of items for two people. Things like tools and a grill an extra table more tools so I think that would be average.
The point is if you are doing fine with the MH and it is driving well with no handling issues then just enjoy it. I had issues with mine. The steer axel was very overloaded and the handling was bad. When I had my toad it was much worse. I looked into why and talked to a lot of very smart people in the industry like Henderson's in Washington State I think again I am not home and I don't have all my notes with me.
The fix for me was to take the steer axel up to a 12000 lb axel. It was 10500 lb. Also replacing all the tires with 275/80 R 22.5. The 255 are not rated to carry more that 10400 lbs.This does not increase my GCVW as that is limited by my 340 HP and the 2500 transmission. There is no way to change that. It does give me 1500 lbs more capacity going from 27900 to 29400 but I still must stay below 33000 GCVW. This is broken down by 12000 lb Steer and 17400 rear. I hope this makes since and that I have all the right info. The change made a huge difference in how my MH drives. If you don't have issues enjoy and go camping. Don't make yourself all tied up if there is no issue. Believe me when I say that this took a lot of time to figure out and really had a negative effect on our enjoyment of what should have been a fun time with a dream MH that we never thought we would be able to have. We have one more issue and that is the roof needs to be replaced and that will happen the end of this month. I do know that we are dealing with a fine group of people at FR and they have made this as smooth as it could be.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #19

George I would strongly recommend getting your MH weighed. This will give you lots of useful info. If you can find a 4 corner scale that is best. This info helps to adjust the air pressure in the tires and gives you help in how to load the MH to give you a balance for better handling. You also need to know what your MH can tow. You have I believe 38000 lbs total as you have the 360 but those of us with the 340 are much more limited and the weight is all the more important.

Old 04-06-2013, 10:52 PM   #20

Quote:
The point is if you are doing fine with the MH and it is driving well with no handling issues then just enjoy it. I had issues with mine.
Phil, your point is worth considering...... My coach drives fine..... And unless our all wise, all seeing, all knowing federal bureaucrats in DC start regulating the weights on our coaches, we will never get weighed at a DOT scale.

In fact, If you were to pull in voluntarily for a weigh, they most likely wouldn't know if you were overweight or not. Nor would they likely care. Actually, it's probably not even illegal to be overweight in a coach.

As of right now, the DOT is only interested in commercial vehicles with a federally assigned "authority" number painted on the side of the cab, but that may be changing. I hear rumblings that the bureaucrats are attempting add to their never-ending attempts to control everything by regulating 5'ers, MH's, etc

BUT more importantly..... If you ever are the cause of an accident because a tire blew out from being over weight and the lawyer's investigator finds out that fact, you WILL be sued into the next universe. And those investigators can be VERY thorough.

That's one issue...... Another is the additional wear and tear on the suspension components/tires which may lead to them failing prematurely.

Finally, I think my FL warranty explicitly states that if the chassis is overloaded, then they have no obligation to honor that warranty.

I have a "thing" about loose ends, and this is one giant loose end to me. If it were only a 100 lbs or so, I'd just forget it..... but almost a whole TON overweight is just too much for me to ignore.

That's my final take on the subject.

Boowho??