Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-02-2013, 09:11 PM   #1

Emptying fresh water tank on Berkshire

I finished with the chlorine fill procedure, let it sit for several hours, and am now ready to empty the fresh tank. From within the water/sewer compartment I opened the cold drain valve to let gravity empty the tank but it quickly slowed to virtually nothing. Do other Berk owners run the pump to drain their fresh water or is there a better way?
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #2
Director, FROG

You might try opening a cold water faucet (with the pump off) while you drain the fresh water tank so that you're not creating a vacuum.

Bob Byrne
Director, Forest River Owners' Group (FROG)
frog@forestriverinc.com
www.forestriverfrog.com
F.R.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 09:40 PM   #3

I dont know what model you have, but on the passenger side just in front of the rear tires you can lift the door without the handle by removing the pins from the latches on the bottom of the coach. This will allow you to open the valve to drain the freshwater tank.
Old 03-02-2013, 10:15 PM   #4

You learn something new every day! This hidden compartment holds the fresh tank and water pump. Am I correct in guessing that the unconnected hose is where antifreeze would be sucked into the lines for winterization? Wm1964 you added greatly to my knowledge base. Thanks Will
kingwood390bh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:50 PM   #5

Yes. That small hose would be used for pulling antifreeze into the system for winterization. You have to throw that one valve to do that though. I wish the pump on/off switch was in that side bay instead of the regular wet bay as it would make winterizing much easier. I just haven't had a need for it yet on the other side.
Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:01 AM   #6

Kingwood you are welcome! I cant for the life of me figure out why FR did not make that a regular latched door. It would make it much easier for the folks that winterize the units themselves.
Old 03-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wm1964 View Post
Kingwood you are welcome! I cant for the life of me figure out why FR did not make that a regular latched door. It would make it much easier for the folks that winterize the units themselves.
I agree!! Also, I have had to replace one of the latches that hold the door closed. One of them just 'dissapeared' on me.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote