Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-17-2015, 02:18 PM   #61

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1445109481.640600.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	91935

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Boo yours is different than mine. Attachment 91927
How so, Phil? They look the same to me. Maybe I'm missing something??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 03:08 PM   #63

I thought the shaft looked fatter on yours. Maybe it's that yours is blue. Mine doesn't look like it was ever painted.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:33 AM   #64

Boo - you are like a dog on a bone. Great-going, you got to where you wanted to, now what???

As was stated by someone elsewhere, bolt shear fatigue may not show up visually. It is probably internal microscopic cracks between molecules. More then likely after all four bolts get significantly weakened, they then shear with the next jerk torque.

I agree with Wayne, that messing with the bolts, even tightening them could cause the bolt to shear and then create a mess for you and possibly a lock-out in any class actions.

You might want to have it checked out at a Freightliner facility. Good Luck
Old 10-18-2015, 08:46 AM   #65

Yeah but Boo's out where it's nice and warm and he's just aching to tear something apart, get his hands dirty, his knuckles busted open. It's in his blood man ! Don't you see ?

But seriously if that was me I'd just give it a little tweak and the bolt would break. But I'm fortunate, that's the luck I get.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 06:14 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
Boo - you are like a dog on a bone.
Hank, when it comes to a potential $7K repair on MY nickel, you're damn right I am.

Grrrrrrrr..........

Boowho??
Old 10-18-2015, 06:21 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Yeah but Boo's out where it's nice and warm and he's just aching to tear something apart, get his hands dirty, his knuckles busted open. It's in his blood man ! Don't you see ?

But seriously if that was me I'd just give it a little tweak and the bolt would break. But I'm fortunate, that's the luck I get.
Actually, I love working on things, but I HATE having dirty hands. As Hank pointed out, I could lock myself out of any potential class action suit. Still, if my machinist pal feels good about it I *may* go ahead.

I sent a short, curt reply to the FL CS that I intended to take this to a higher level than her. I was pleasant, but firm. Have not heard back from her after several hours.

Hank, do you have any info on a potential class action suit??

Boowho?? MORE Grrrrrrr...... Need some raw meat for din-din.
Old 10-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #68

Boo check out some of the discussion on IRV2. I know Silver has been on that forum talking about his adventure with the fan hub and several others have as well.

Old 10-18-2015, 06:39 PM   #69

Quote:
Boo check out some of the discussion on IRV2. I know Silver has been on that forum talking about his adventure with the fan hub and several others have as well.
Thanks Phil.... DW has already been doing that. BTW, I'd say that we are both in the same boat. We're living on the edge so to speak. Now that I know I have the weak bolts, I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat every time I'm on the road.

Boowho??
Old 10-18-2015, 06:48 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
Thanks Phil.... DW has already been doing that. BTW, I'd say that we are both in the same boat. We're living on the edge so to speak. Now that I know I have the weak bolts, I'll be sitting on the edge of my seat every time I'm on the road.

Boowho??
Boo,
If you have weak bolts, maybe you should go to your doctor!! (LOL!!)

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2015, 08:00 PM   #71

Tom you are just to funny.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:47 PM   #72

Quote:
Tom you are just to funny.
I don't think it's so damn funny!!!

BTW Phil, I'd say you have the same issue. What do you think? Are you going to pursue a solution?

Maybe we'll get lucky and find that we do NOT have a problem after all (I wish).

Boowho??
Old 10-18-2015, 09:00 PM   #73

Boo I'm not sure what I'm going to do. My thinking at this point is that first I don't know if I have a issue. Now that is fine but I will stress like crazy worrying about what could happen. I plan to call and email FL with my concerns and request that they do an inspection of the hub. I really want a straight answer from them as to what all this 4 verses 5 bolt hubs are. I will do that and try to devise a way to easily inspect the hub. This might be a camera or something similar to be able to visually see the hub before a trip.
Other than that I guess I Monitor the hub and what FL has to say about it.
Any other suggestions? I'm open to any ideas.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:12 AM   #74

Hi Phil,

One interesting thing. When you look at Access Freightliner you cannot find the hub or fan clutch. Makes me wonder if they are specified by Cummins? Perhaps I just was not looking in the right place thou it is pretty easy to navigate Access Freightliner site. There are some people over on IRV2 talking about class action. Do not know if it is just talk or serious. More failures discussed over there.
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #75

Following
jmgllt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 11:13 AM   #76

Yes, the biggest issue right now is knowing whether or not we actually have the flawed part. Even though we appear to have the four bolt arrangement (at least on the bolts visible in the pics), they may have beefed up those bolts and requirement of the 5 bolt hub is now moot.

Having said that, the DW has been researching this heavily. The hub is made by Horton (found a sticker on mine) and there are numerous recalls on Horton hubs by several companies that use them.

DW (ain't she a peach...... talk about a dog on a bone!!) even found this TSB number SF-388A-F by FL issuing a recall in 2007. Not sure if if applies to us but here is the link:

FREIGHTLINER XC 2007 Technical Service Bulletins

Boowho??
Old 10-19-2015, 11:55 AM   #77

One last item..... Here is the the diagram for the fan assembly specific to my VIN, from the Access Freightliner web site:

Silver, does this look like the diagram for your particular unit (that you mentioned a couple of messages back)??

Boowho??
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bomartwork.gif
Views:	113
Size:	23.6 KB
ID:	92131  
Old 10-19-2015, 02:43 PM   #78

So Boo are you thinking the part #7 with the ( 4 ) bolts part # 6 are the culprits ? If that's the case sort of looks like it's under the pulley and you wouldn't be able to get an eyeball on it anyways. Maybe I'm off base.

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 03:34 PM   #79

I confused now I thought I knew what to check. Keep us informed.
2011 Berkshire 390-rb-40, upgraded tires and front axle airbags, 2012 Jeep Wrangler 2 door, Blue Ox baseplate and BlueOx aladdin tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system, wiring run through right frame rail and homemade led taillight bar.FB.
Ham KG5LTL.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2015, 04:16 PM   #80

I went back and found this under radiator rather than engine cooling where I had originally looked.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fan hub.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	92179  
silver is offline   Reply With Quote