Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2009, 07:16 AM   #1

Engine Brake

I was sure that the engine brake was not working on my 08 Berkshire so i took it to Allison for a check to see why.They found that the wire going from the brake toggle switch was missing.They installed a wire from the computer in the rear of the MH to the front switch and now it works great.They also set it up for a 3rd preselect gear for slowing the MH down,now i dont have to stand on the air brakes to try and stop 24000 lbs without breaking my leg
plootsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Who would be responsible for that wire? Chassis builder? or FR?
Have you contacted FR about this? Just wonder if this is a isolated case or if there's more?

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #3

plootsa,
What do you mean when you state that they "also set it up for a 3rd preselect gear for slowing the MH down"?? What is it and how does it work?
Thanks.
tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 07:39 AM   #4

Engine Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfsoistman View Post
Who would be responsible for that wire? Chassis builder? or FR?
Have you contacted FR about this? Just wonder if this is a isolated case or if there's more?
I called Forest River and they said that they would take care of the bill because the computer harness came without the wire for the engine brake,which is supplyed by a vendor who makes the harness for that particular chassis.As of a month later i have not gotten a bill for it from the allison transmission shop and the fellow told me he would only charge for 2 hours labor
Old 05-20-2009, 07:50 AM   #5

3RD gear Preselect

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
plootsa,
What do you mean when you state that they "also set it up for a 3rd preselect gear for slowing the MH down"?? What is it and how does it work?
Thanks.
The MH 2500 Allison trans can normaly be set for 4th or 2nd preselect gear when you let off the brake the trans imidiately goes to that gear to slow the rv down without using the brake.My particular trans was able to be set up through the computer for 3rd gear ,the tech said that he thinke this chassis was meant for a different application such as a fire truck which has different specs he was not sure but normaly you can only get either 4th or 2nd gear choice to work with the cummins engine brake which works with the trans to slow the rv down,i hope i explained it so you can understand what im saying.all i can say is that i feel safe driving it now because i could hardly stop the mh without the engine brake working it acts like a jake brake that truckers use
Old 05-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #6

I see, it is the gear that the transmission shifts to when the engine brake is on and you let off the gas. I'm not sure of the gear that the transmission shifts into when my engine brake kicks in. I will have to see next time I drive the rig.
Thanks for the explanation.
tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by plootsa View Post
I called Forest River and they said that they would take care of the bill because the computer harness came without the wire for the engine brake,which is supplyed by a vendor who makes the harness for that particular chassis.As of a month later i have not gotten a bill for it from the allison transmission shop and the fellow told me he would only charge for 2 hours labor
Sounds like FR should be in contact with any Berkshire Owners with the same chassis to advise them of this possible situation. I'd hate to think someone gets injured or worse due to a vendor's mistake. There should be a recall so this matter is completely resolved.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 06:23 AM   #8

Engine Brake

Yes I will call freightliner and tell them about this problem,and you are right there may be more out there that dont realize the engine brake is not working.The only way I found out was talking to others about my problem as far as having a hard time stopping and thats when i was told that my engine brake probably was inactive.I did take it to Freightliner and they told me it wasnt programed from the factory and to take it to Allison not knowing there was a wire missing,I havnt had good luck with getting in touch with FR but ill give it a serious try
Greg

Tags
berkshire, brakes