Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2022, 08:14 AM   #1

Equalizer jacks popping

Well after about 8 years of tolerating my leveling jacks popping when the motorhome sits for 3 days or more I finally stumbled on the problem.

I tried everything I could read about or that Equalizer recommended to solve the problem. The attempted fixes included a special CAT anti-stiction additive and Marvel Mystery oil added to the hydraulic fluid. Also tried purging the system of air as recommended by Equalizer. WD40 on the piston rods. Nothing worked.

Finally in August of this year after pulling the motorhome out of the garage to wash it I find a puddle of hydraulic fluid. Not a large puddle but more of a residue. Upon close examination of the hydraulic lines for the front levelers I find 3 of the 4 lines are sweating hydraulic fluid.

Replaced those lines, bled the system and topped it off with ATF and finally the problem has been solved.

I really like the Equalizer leveling and slide hydraulic system. It has extend and retract hydraulics for all four levelers and of course the two slides. Don’t have to worry about springs and whether they have the necessary umph to raise the jacks. Sure wish the hydraulic lines were of better quality.

Hope this helps someone else that may be experiencing the same issues.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:46 AM   #2

Thanks for the info may help other to diagnose jack problems not just looking of leaks but at the hoses.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 09:53 AM   #3

Mine just started doing that. I put that on my list of things to look at. Thanks.
caflorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 10:27 AM   #4

Same problem plus additional noise when leveling

Thanks for the info. I have had a similar problem on my left rear jack, which is the most "downhill" jack on our slightly slanted parking pad. Last week I noticed a small amount of fluid when I lowered and raised the jacks, and that jack seemed to make a grinding noise during operation.

Last summer I began an attempt to manually raise the jacks, as I was having a problem with low voltage to the system. In the end, the electrical problem was resolved, but I need to check that I fully tightened the cartridge valves.

Any thoughts or insight before I start to tackle this next week? I am trying to resolve myself before scheduling a trip to my service dealer. Thx!
Old 03-02-2022, 01:18 PM   #5

Wish I had recommendations for you. My leak was just forward of the hydraulic pump bay and it was dripping onto an abs control box.

Yours sounds like the Jack cylinder. Guess I might try cleaning the piston rod with WD40 really well and then cycling it 3 or 4 times and observing for continuing leaks and jack noise.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 04:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Thanks for the info may help other to diagnose jack problems not just looking of leaks but at the hoses.
X2
Thanks for sharing!

Tags
equalizer, jacks