Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #1

Equalizer Levelers Noises

In our 2013 390BH-40 we have recently had clunking sounds coming from the Levelers when in the down position. This has just started happening on our current trip. Can hear it at all four corners as we move around the coach. They operate fine otherwise and are near silent during the auto level and retract processes. My fluid levels are also good. I was thinking that some sort of lube or maintenance may be required, but the Equalizer website basically says no maintenance is required.

The sounds are clunking or clicking sounds. I thought it may be the chassis needing some lube, but the sounds only happen when the Levelers are extended and definitely come from the four corners.

Any ideas on this?
CapuTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapuTech View Post
In our 2013 390BH-40 we have recently had clunking sounds coming from the Levelers when in the down position. This has just started happening on our current trip. Can hear it at all four corners as we move around the coach. They operate fine otherwise and are near silent during the auto level and retract processes. My fluid levels are also good. I was thinking that some sort of lube or maintenance may be required, but the Equalizer website basically says no maintenance is required.

The sounds are clunking or clicking sounds. I thought it may be the chassis needing some lube, but the sounds only happen when the Levelers are extended and definitely come from the four corners.

Any ideas on this?
Hmmm, Could check mounting bolts holding the jacks to the frame. Maybe they weren't tightend correctly from factory and have worked their way loose? Would be odd for them all not to be tight and causing noise at the same time but worth a check. May not be noticeable to the eye so I would put a big wrench/breaker bar/impact to them and try to get a bit of a turn out of them.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmerchant View Post
Hmmm, Could check mounting bolts holding the jacks to the frame. Maybe they weren't tightend correctly from factory and have worked their way loose? Would be odd for them all not to be tight and causing noise at the same time but worth a check. May not be noticeable to the eye so I would put a big wrench/breaker bar/impact to them and try to get a bit of a turn out of them.
If you have the "old" single ply jack pads, you may be hearing the ram slowly working it's way through the hole in the pad. Mine made some "clicking" noises until had them all replaced with beefed up pads.

If that is your problem, one or more will eventually punch all the way throuh (VERY suddenly) and the coach will drop making a noise like an explosion and rock violently as it drops. This happened to me and the first time it scared the hell out of me.

I sincerely hope this is NOT your problem and it is something else. Equalizer Systems knows about this problem. They replaced all my pads with the beefed up ones.

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:32 PM   #4

Boohoo

Where did you get the beefed up pads ... what kind and approx. how much
lefaivre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefaivre View Post
Boohoo

Where did you get the beefed up pads ... what kind and approx. how much
Directly from Eq Sys. They charged me for the first one ($35 ; single ply) it punched thru again and they sent four of the beefier ones gratis.

The newer ones are double ply; in other words two pieces of flat steel welded together. Plus they welded a "gusset" on where the plate meets the ram.

Boowho??
Old 09-07-2013, 08:17 AM   #6

I too have noticed a clicking sound in my 2012 390 BH. At night, it has especially bothered my wife during the night. Thank's for the heads-up on the punch-thru problem.

On another note, if anyone has noticed a bang upon retracting the jacks, I do have the bang and found the problem. I have found that upon retraction, one of the jack's metal pads, catches the edge of the corner of the rear wheel mud flap. In fact, the rubber portion is now slightly curled. Have not figured out what to do yet. I might trim the rubber portion or heat it up and train it to curl the other way. This may not everyone's bang problem, but it is one of them.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #7

Update on mine... I checked the hydraulic fluid and was about 1/2 inch low. So I topped that up and went through the bleed procedure as outlined on the Freightliner website. That made a dramatic improvement, but did not completely cure the issue. Previously we would hear the popping constantly while walking around the coach and especially when stepping on the entry step. It also would happen at night while sleeping and that was very worrisome. Now it is once or twice a day. I may added fluid slightly above the fill line and go through the bleed procedure once again to see if that completely fixes it.

I'm fairly sure it was low fluid/air in the lines. My curb side would also creep out after sitting in storage for a week. Now seems to hold tight.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #8

If you are adding fluid you need to have all the front slides and the jacks up to avoid over.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 04:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Update on mine... I checked the hydraulic fluid and was about 1/2 inch low. So I topped that up and went through the bleed procedure as outlined on the Freightliner website. That made a dramatic improvement, but did not completely cure the issue. Previously we would hear the popping constantly while walking around the coach and especially when stepping on the entry step. It also would happen at night while sleeping and that was very worrisome. Now it is once or twice a day. I may added fluid slightly above the fill line and go through the bleed procedure once again to see if that completely fixes it.

I'm fairly sure it was low fluid/air in the lines. My curb side would also creep out after sitting in storage for a week. Now seems to hold tight.
Cap, where did you find that bleeding procedure?? I listened to mine carefully today while the DW ran the jacks up and down. Sounded to me like I have a substantial amount of air in my system.

Boowho??
Old 09-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #10

I see I referenced the Freightliner site... That's not right. The place I found the procedure was on the Equalizer Systems site in the Support section. Here is a direct link to the document. FYI, I also had a very slight slide drifting problem. My curb side slide would drift about 1/2 inch after a couple of weeks in storage. That slide is actually slightly misaligned - the front does not fit tight while the back does. It's not major, but some day when I have the time, I will attempt to adjust the timing shaft. Instructions to do so are also in the support section.

http://equalizersystems.com/files/sh...ng_12-2010.pdf

Cory
Old 09-13-2013, 07:16 PM   #11

Cory

Thanks for the link. I wish we could have this saved as a sticky so it was easy to find. Great info!

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Cory

Thanks for the link. I wish we could have this saved as a sticky so it was easy to find. Great info!
X2 Cory...... Cheers

Boowho??
Old 11-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #13

Quote:
I see I referenced the Freightliner site... That's not right. The place I found the procedure was on the Equalizer Systems site in the Support section. Here is a direct link to the document. FYI, I also had a very slight slide drifting problem. My curb side slide would drift about 1/2 inch after a couple of weeks in storage. That slide is actually slightly misaligned - the front does not fit tight while the back does. It's not major, but some day when I have the time, I will attempt to adjust the timing shaft. Instructions to do so are also in the support section.

http://equalizersystems.com/files/sh...ng_12-2010.pdf

Cory
Cory..... When you did your bleeding, how many times did you do it?? The procedure just says "repeat", but not how many times.

I'm finally ready to do this procedure. I've found recently that my jacks are making the "clicking" sound; BUT if I move the coach to a different park, it MAY quit clicking. I was in Pahrump, NV for 6 weeks it clicked all the time.

Set up here in Yuma, AZ a week ago (for the winter) and the jacks haven't clicked once. Also, I've found that when they are clicking, they are also losing "lift"; in other words they are slowly retracting by themselves. BUT, when they don't click the jacks hold level perfectly.

I'm fairly certain that I have air...... You can tell by the sound of the pump, sorta like chalk on a blackboard.

Boowho??
Old 11-18-2013, 10:52 PM   #14

I did mine three times just to make sure. It took a couple of hours since I did the jacks and front slides alternatively. As I recall, I'd move the slides or jacks to position and then wait 30 or more minutes. I think the instructions said wait 20 minutes, but I had the time so did a bit longer. I must admit that it did indeed work and so far has not come back. We only use our coach 3-5 days per month so get to exercise the hydraulics a fair bit. Prior to doing this, one of the front slides would creep out after a week or two in storage. That has not happened since. And I guess if/when it does, I can just repeat the procedure.

We have not been out in a while, but have plans for Thanksgiving week so are quite looking forward to the Texas Hill Country for that.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #15

Thanks Cap.....

Boowho??