Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 09:26 PM   #21

It's automatic. It's in my case a silver Bix about 10X10x12. It works all by itself and is kinda like the power manager. It will not allow two power sources to be active at once.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:31 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
It's automatic. It's in my case a silver Bix about 10X10x12. It works all by itself and is kinda like the power manager. It will not allow two power sources to be active at once.
Yep. Mine actually has a label that says "transfer switch" and you can hear it click when you plug in.
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:39 PM   #23
KAS

It makes sense that there would be one in all RVs, but who knows, mine is missing several features that were listed as standard on FR's website for that year. I guess I got the bargain basement version.
I'll try to find out whether that model has the switch or not, hopefully I can find somebody who actually knows and doesn't just pretend to (like most dealers). Thanks for your input!
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:41 PM   #24
KAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by baddmann View Post
Yep. Mine actually has a label that says "transfer switch" and you can hear it click when you plug in.
I do hear a click, but there is no label. I'll check further tomorrow in daylight.
KAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 06:46 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAS View Post
It's gas powered (Sunseeker 2250LE Chevy 4500 chassis). I don't see any switch anywhere in the compartment, just the socket attached to the wall next to a vented but sealed electrical box (hums when connected) and the cord with the plug on the end.

Since this is a Berkshire forum for diesel pushers we assume unless we are told upfront that you have a diesel. Any direction we give you may or may not apply to your Motorhome. We don't want to tell you wrong that could cause you damage. I suggest you post your questions on the correct forum. Good luck.

Wayne
Old 10-21-2015, 07:35 AM   #26

When it comes to "exercising" the generator, the concern is more for the stator/rotor elements than the engine. So the gas vs diesel question doesn't really matter.

Moisture can build up in the stator/rotor and cause rust to form. The reason for exercising the genset for an hour each month is to give it a chance to burn out the moisture and keep the generator components healthy.

As to the question of leaving shore power plugged in while generator is running...in "most" MHs the ATS gives the generator priority and switches to it whenever the gen is running. But as was noted, not all MHs are the same so you should be sure to research what your coach has to verify.

Terry

Terry & Kim
Dallas, Texas
2015 Berkshire 38RB
2007 Jeep Wrangler JKU
tkdavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator