Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2015, 09:57 AM   #1

Extended Warranty

Hi Folks,

Don't mean to be a pest just looking for info. I never have any luck using the search feature .

So the Dealer quoted us a price of about 7300.00 for extended warranty for 7 years that covers about everything. The coach now has 4000 miles, out of the factory warranty on coach but still has a little balance for the drive train. The Service Contract is administered by First Extended Service Corp.

So I'm asking all you experienced RV'ers to shed some light on a soon to be RV rookie . Is this a good deal ? Good company ? Any dealings with them ? For your wealth of info I'll buy you a beer / coffee if our paths cross.

Thanks,
Joe Oh p.s. Not sure where Mitch came from but I've been called much worse so all's good . lol

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
5456Mich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:10 AM   #2

Joe,
Not sure where the Mitch came from but sorry that I used it. Didn't see that your name was Joe until this post.
I purchased an extended warranty for my '14 Berkshire. I thought that having it would help in case I was on a trip and needed work done right away. My dealer also started out at around the same price for the warranty but I was able to talk them down to around $4000. Even though the coach is 1 year old, you will still have 4 years and up to, I think, 100k miles on the engine and 4 years 200k on the transmission (someone please correct me on the mileage if I am wrong) and 2 more years and up to 50000 mi on the Freightliner chassis.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:15 AM   #3

$7k sounds like a lot.

Some interesting reading:

See #5 Extended Auto Warranty Reviews, Review Top Warranties

Top 47 Complaints and Reviews about First Extended Service Corporation
Gottawonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Joe,
I purchased an extended warranty for my '14 Berkshire. I thought that having it would help in case I was on a trip and needed work done right away. My dealer also started out at around the same price for the warranty but I was able to talk them down to around $4000. Even though the coach is 1 year old, you will still have 4 years and up to, I think, 100k miles on both the engine and transmission (someone please correct me on the mileage if I am wrong) and 2 more years and up to 36000 mi on the Freightliner chassis.
Tom thanks again for your response. I beat the dealer pretty good on the coach price. Was the price you ended with for 7 yrs of coverage ? Or are they all that duration ? On a sad note for taking the plan We did get two free T shirts.

Joe

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 08-24-2015, 10:31 AM   #5

Joe,
I guess you couldn't pass up the free t-shirts! (LOL!)
Yes, mine was for 7 years and I think, up to 70k miles. There are many different plans out there where the years and mileage vary. They also offered me a 4 year 50k mile plan for about $4k. I said give me the 7/70 plan for that price and I would take it, which is what they did. This is a high profit item for the dealers so there is a lot of 'wiggle room' on the price. Sorry, but I can't comment on the plan provider as I have no knowledge on them.
Tom
ps- and as I said, at least you got 2 free t-shirts! I didn't get anything.(LOL!)

Just checked my paper work. I paid $4995 for a 7 year/75000 mi plan through American Guardian Warranty.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:27 PM   #6

There's always the good and the bad. I was reading a blog post the other day and they had several
thousand dollars worth of repairs covered by their warranty. Yea! them.

Me, on the other hand, had a $7 part short out that took out my inverter, microwave, TV, stereo, etc.
They covered the $7 part and the mobile RV tech and were rude and condescending. Fortunately, I could opt out at any time for a pro-rated refund and that is what I did.

Check what is covered. Ancillary damage may not be.
SOLD '05 NuWa HHII 32.5 UKTG
05 Ford F-250 Supercab 6.0L SRW
nwtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 12:46 PM   #7

Well sent the dealer manager a e mail thanking them for the time spent up there and the good price on the coach but told him my butt was sore from the warranty numbers. They always need an answer right away never letting you think about it. Well I'll see what he comes back with. lol

2014 Berkshire 390 RB-40
Old 08-24-2015, 01:19 PM   #8
Retired IT Manager (NERD)

I usr wholesale warranties very happy have udrd them for 3 different coaches if you want more information let me know.
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
Retired IT Manager (NERD)

And yes I have fat fingers and no spell checker
Neanderthal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 05:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5456Mich View Post
Well sent the dealer manager a e mail thanking them for the time spent up there and the good price on the coach but told him my butt was sore from the warranty numbers. They always need an answer right away never letting you think about it. Well I'll see what he comes back with. lol

Joe, those negotiations were my favorite part of the buying process. I love keeping them nervous and over a fire when I negotiate price. Stay strong, they will come down on that price, which Tom already said was a little high.

With any extended warranty, no matter which company provides it, they like to balk on payments if yearly maintenances are not done. So do them and keep good records of them.

Good luck.

Tags
warranty