Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2021, 11:06 AM   #1

Exterior Roof Ladder Replacement

I own a 2018 Berkshire 40b xl and the screws that attach from the end cap to the brackets that are attached to the body on the lower (on the body) and upper brackets (on the roof) are pulling away from them. The mounting brackets that attach to the body and roof are still secured tightly. I also need to replace the lower ladder that attaches to the upper ladder. I was told by a local Berkshire dealership in southern California that the manufacturer for the ladder is no longer in business and that a replacement ladder in no longer available, so she couldn't help me. She actually referred me to Winnebago to see if they can help me find a new ladder - go figure. Does anyone know of a dealership or parts manufacturer where I can purchase a new ladder. I do have a telescopic ladder that I can use to get on the roof, but I feel much more confident in using the ladder attached to the rv. Any help or advice would me much appreciated. Jerry
Rodriguj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 04:28 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguj View Post
I own a 2018 Berkshire 40b xl and the screws that attach from the end cap to the brackets that are attached to the body on the lower (on the body) and upper brackets (on the roof) are pulling away from them. The mounting brackets that attach to the body and roof are still secured tightly. I also need to replace the lower ladder that attaches to the upper ladder. I was told by a local Berkshire dealership in southern California that the manufacturer for the ladder is no longer in business and that a replacement ladder in no longer available, so she couldn't help me. She actually referred me to Winnebago to see if they can help me find a new ladder - go figure. Does anyone know of a dealership or parts manufacturer where I can purchase a new ladder. I do have a telescopic ladder that I can use to get on the roof, but I feel much more confident in using the ladder attached to the rv. Any help or advice would me much appreciated. Jerry

You might try Bontragers RV surplus in White Pigeon Michigan. They have many excess parts available from many RV manufacturers in the area (Elkhart In). I have found many oddball parts there
Mmnsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 05:05 PM   #3

If they are pulling away you should seal them NOW! The longer you wait the greater the chance of water getting in, if it hasn’t already. That repair will be a bit more spendy.
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2021, 10:24 PM   #4

I will. Thank you.
Rodriguj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 12:28 PM   #5

I'd try FR Parts for the "horse's mouth" FR info.

Andy or Valerie @ 574-522-1747
Old 01-23-2021, 05:27 PM   #6

RV ladders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodriguj View Post
Google RV salvage yards and maybe find one near you. The one closest to us in Indiana is in Montpelier and does carry ladder kits and parts.
Good luck
Bytesponge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 06:38 PM   #7

Berkshire ladder

Redrill the loose fittings, use a larger size screw, (#10), make gaskets from shower pan material, available from any big box hardware/home store.
What's wrong with the lower portion of the ladder?.
It's only aluminum tubing, (you can substitute 1/2" electrical conduit) and steps are readily available from lots of RV supply houses. If you don't have one, pick up a conduit bender, and , with a little hardware fasteners, there you have a new ladder. Depending on what is wrong, you may be able to repair your original. Either way, you're good to go.
2corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:32 PM   #8

Young Farts RV Parts
Danesville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 11:52 AM   #9

I have a Berkshire 40D and I replaced my lower ladder with a boat boarding ladder form a boat supply dealer in Fl Keys. Works great, had to bend the hooks a little tighter but works better than the original!
Alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2021, 02:06 PM   #10

Exterior Roof Ladder Replacement

Bent mine.

Checked with Andy at FR and he had one lower section left. Best I can recall they wanted $400+ for it. I passed. Straightened mine out.

I would be curious on the brand of the boat ladder that previous post used.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 08:30 AM   #11

M/H is in Tampa body shop having some collision damage repaired can't access it right now, but go to etrailer.com /boat -ladders and take a look at Jif Marine Folding Transom Ladder, it's very close to what I have.
Alva is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exterior, replacement, roo, roof