Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2017, 07:02 PM   #1

Factory Service vs Local Oil Change

Just looking for opinions: We need oil change, filters, gen svc, etc. I am in a park with a great rv service center that we were very satisfied with last service. This year wondering if a trip to Gaffney for Freightliner factory service is warranted. I am sure Gaffney would be more extensive (and certainly much more expensive too) so I am trying too decide and justify either choice. Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:27 PM   #2

I didn't find Gaffney any more expensive than local to me.
And the bonus is that they know the chassis very well.
Just my 2-cents.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 07:31 PM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

We just take ours to local frightliner/cummins authorized dealer but never to a rv dealer for service.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 08:23 PM   #4

I love FL Gaffney, and the added bonus is you can stay onsite with hookups for no additional cost. They are very efficient and priced competitively. Not a bad idea if you know you will be driving through. Just get the appointment set ahead of time and you're good to go. One new benefit is they have an updated alignment machine if needed.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:48 PM   #5

The wise choice is FL, Gaffney- Thanks
Old 02-19-2017, 09:53 AM   #6

I usually take mine to the FL service center in Swedesboro, NJ. In by 7, out by 10. It's just off of I-295, exit 10. There's also a CW about a half mile away (same exit) the the DW & I browse while we wait.

There's a FL service center in Levittown, PA just off os US-13 (I think it's actually located in Bensalem, PA).

You can get their PM-1 (just an oil change), PM-2 (a little bit more involved), or the PM-3 which covers just about everything including the PM-1 & PM-2 procedures. PM-3 does does change anything connected to the generator, but does change all of your filters (oil, fuel), etc.

I think the various checklists are on line at the FL site so you can decide which maintenance you need. The prices are reasonable & were cheaper the CW or the dealer.

Good luck.

ceedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC02 View Post
Just looking for opinions: We need oil change, filters, gen svc, etc. I am in a park with a great rv service center that we were very satisfied with last service. This year wondering if a trip to Gaffney for Freightliner factory service is warranted. I am sure Gaffney would be more extensive (and certainly much more expensive too) so I am trying too decide and justify either choice. Your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated.
You will probably get a lot of different responses for this. For me, the nearest Mercedes Benz warranty shop that can service the sprinter model RV is 134 miles away. I had them do the first service but then found a shop in my town who does service on the various sprinters the delivery firms use. I compared his service specs to those in the MB service manual and they were nearly the same.

In a recent discussion on this one poster mentioned that the warranty shop might have updated codes my shop might not get. That's a good point and I will check with the warranty shop on that prior to my next service.
lacamastraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 PM   #8

We used Gaffney, they are extensive, tech will take time to discuss your coach with you, don't expect bells an whistles, you'll park on gravel parking lot, with about 20 other coaches, there is electric an one dump station for all, nice people, an we left feeling good about our service, there are plenty of restaurants just down the road .
SEAYALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:12 PM   #9

RKCO2 - The question should be whether to follow the Freightliner and Allison service schedule or just get the standard oil change with unknown what they serviced.

I have found that most commercial truck service centers or even non-Oasis Freightliner service centers do not follow the suggested Freightliner schedule for your particular chassis. When they are presented with the service schedule for a quote, the price goes through the roof.

I would suggest sticking with an Oasis Freightliner service center, Sure there is one in Gaffney; but there are others.
Hank
Old 02-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #10

X3 - I would never consider taking our Rig to anyplace other than a Oasis Service center.

When you go to Gaffney, you may want to consider combining your service visit with Camp Freightliner. We went to Camp Freightliner I and it was great! I plan on going to Camp Freightliner II next Year at our Annual Service
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:53 PM   #11

To all - Thanks for the replies. A visit to Freightliner is certainly justified for all the reasons stated.
Bamabob: I went to Camp Freightliner a few years ago- didn't know that there was a second edition but will look into it. Thanks
Old 02-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKC02 View Post
To all - Thanks for the replies. A visit to Freightliner is certainly justified for all the reasons stated.
Bamabob: I went to Camp Freightliner a few years ago- didn't know that there was a second edition but will look into it. Thanks

Camp Freightliner II is a one day class where they pair you with the service tech and you shadow them as they do the maintenance on your rig. I am hoping to pick up some some good maintenance info when I attend!
Old 02-20-2017, 04:23 AM   #13
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-RV View Post
When they are presented with the service schedule for a quote, the price goes through the roof.
My plan is to learn to do as much as I can myself, and occasionally presenting "them" with a short and sweet list.

Before the worriers pipe up..... I have changed many gallons of oil and filters, transmission fluids, filters and on and on. When I say "learn" I mean the particulars for this chassis.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #14

We purchased our 390RB '14 Berkshire in August '14. In June I signed up for Camp Freightliner 1 and attended the two day course. It was Excellent and worth every bit of time and $$$ I invested. Everyone should try and make this session in Gaffney---Mike ( the instructor) was outstanding. The reason I mention this is that in the course, everyone was given a full maintenance schedule for your unit---out to 100K miles. For every year/miles there is a very detailed checklist of what needs to be done. So living here in Northern IN--the heart of the RV industry--there are two Oasis FL dealers (Oasis are their best dealers)--one in South Bend and one in Elkhart. So, I take my check list to the facility in Elkhart for my first scheduled service in July of '15. I show it to the Service Manager and he looks at me and says "Oh--we have our own check list and most of the things on your list aren't on there". I told them to change the oil/filter and I left. Went over to the dealer in South Bend and got basically the same greeting. Well, I'm not sure about you all but the money I invested in my unit---like everyone else-- calls for a little more knowledge when it comes to taking care of it. Bottom line--I have now have my annual service done at Gaffney (been there 3 times) They do an excellent job, are super nice people and I walk away knowing people have done their best to protect my investment and I travel almost worry-free of any maintenance issues. And, on top of all that, I consider it reasonable for the level of service they provide. Finally, as folks have pointed out--it's nice to be able to stay at there facility for free ( or the KOA near-by---great place). Winning combination all the way around. Oh--and Pat--the Service Receptionist in Gaffney is the BEST. Just be aware they schedule fills up FAST and plan on at least 3-4 months out to schedule something.
My two-cents!
osu65bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 08:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu65bob View Post
zOh--and Pat--the Service Receptionist in Gaffney is the BEST. Just be aware they schedule fills up FAST and plan on at least 3-4 months out to schedule something.
My two-cents!
X2!

Ummm Schedule fills up fast? You wanna know FAST?! ...

We are scheduled for Camp Freightliner II on 8 FEB 2018 & there is only one slot left on that date!
Old 02-21-2017, 01:10 PM   #16

Doing service yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oscarvan View Post
My plan is to learn to do as much as I can myself, and occasionally presenting "them" with a short and sweet list.

Before the worriers pipe up..... I have changed many gallons of oil and filters, transmission fluids, filters and on and on. When I say "learn" I mean the particulars for this chassis.
Oscar,
I'm with you. I'm worried that a lot of service centres will miss some of the lubrication points. I also like to use a premium oil (Rotella T6) for which they charge a fortune at a dealer.

The little USB key that you got from Freightliner has a copy of the enormous maintenance manual in the Service Information section. I read it carefully and extracted important information in separate stand-alone pages. E.g. the lube points and the service list for different mileages.

Bob,
I'm with you on wanting to go to Camp Freightliner and learn more. But, that is for questions like

• Jack points for the rear axle
• Jack points for the frame
• Where does the grease go when you lube the brake slack adjusters? Hopefully it doesn't ooze out onto the brake shoe? When I lubed my slack adjusters, I couldn't see where the grease comes out

———–

Along the way, I've developed a few handy hints that make service easier:

• The engine oil pan has two drain plugs. One is higher than the other. Drain from the high one first, and then dump the oil before draining from the low one. Draining from the low one gives 15 litres of oil, which is almost overflowing on the biggest drain pan that I can find.

• Get a (hand) pump for putting the oil into the engine filler. It is very hard to hold an oil jug and funnel in the awkward position to put oil in the filler tube.

• Similarly, rinse out an old windshield washer fluid jug to hold DEF. (After rinsing with water, I poured some DEF in, sloshed it around and then dumped it on the lawn, since it is fertilizer.) The filler tubes from the big DEF containers fit onto the windshield washer jug and lets you fill DEF in the very awkward spot that they give us.

• Your local Freightliner dealer has all the filters you need and the price is reasonable. Worth the trip to them to get the approved stuff.

• Get a grease gun that runs off of compressed air. Check to make sure that the grease doesn't come out with higher pressure than a hand gun, as some compressed air guns have high pressure. Mine doesn't. This lets me run the trigger with one hand while holding the fitting in place on the grease nipple.

• I spent a lot of time deciding whether I could use grease with solids (molybdenum disulphide) or not. The Freightliner manual lets you use grease without the solids, as long as they meet the formal spec. But, I like moly in my grease, and they warn you that one of the slack adjusters that they might supply won't take moly grease. After doing the job, I learned that I had Meritor slack adjusters, and they can take moly. I'm using Shell grease with solids and it meets the specs.

• Keep a record of what you service, date and mileage and your warranty is protected according to these manuals.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 05:07 PM   #17

Bob- I did Camp FL II last year; great experience..... be prepared to take lots of notes. Spent 8 hours on the shop floor going over everything.
CT Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 06:50 PM   #18
Dragonship Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
The little USB key that you got from Freightliner has a copy of the enormous maintenance manual in the Service Information section. I read it carefully and extracted important information in separate stand-alone pages. E.g. the lube points and the service list for different mileages.
What little USB key???????

I'm all over the place trying to get the manual and I should have been given it in the first place?
Old 02-22-2017, 05:09 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaBob View Post
X2!

Ummm Schedule fills up fast? You wanna know FAST?! ...

We are scheduled for Camp Freightliner II on 8 FEB 2018 & there is only one slot left on that date!
I can't make Camp Freightliner II due to the dates this time around but will try for the next time. Definitely taking my coach to Gaffney, SC service center on the way home.
Thanks for all of the replies!
Old 02-22-2017, 05:31 PM   #20

The Freightliner service schedules have tasks such as Check, Inspect, Drain, Lubricate and Change.

They all are important and important to be done. The last one, "Change" is what cost the most. The service schedule call out "Changes" for power steering fluid, axle lubricant, Oil-filled hubs, etc. These items were done when I had my service at the Gaffney Oasis, but it seems anywhere else forget it.

Hank

Tags
factory, service