Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2019, 07:22 AM   #1
BobbyJ

Farewell Mes Amies...

Well the DW and I are leaving the family. It was a difficult decision, but we have sold the 2018 Berkshire XL 40C and ordered a 2020 Newmar Dutch Star.

We just wanted to say farewell, but reserve the pleasure to check in on y'all from time to time.

I must say of all the forums out there this one is by far the best. Tremendous people and all the help anyone could ask for when owning such a large toy as a motorhome. That is what we will miss the most.

This will be our 4th motorhome in about 5 years. So I guess there is no need to answer the question "why"? Insanity comes in many forms.

I can only say the quality and features of the Berkshire XL made it more difficult (and expensive) to move to the Newmar. After looking at the 2020 Berkshire XL the Tiffin products and finally settling on the Newmar.

This all started with my DW wanting heated floors. It's a little chilly here in State College at times. I spoke to Forest River Diesel and asked for that upgrade in my 2020 XL and was denied. "We may look at this for the mid-2020 Berkshire XL" is what I was told. OK then, I guess we will look elsewhere. We then explored Tiffin as our top choice, but research and talking to Tiffin owners freighted me a little as Tiffin is transferring decision making from Bob to his family and there are a host of issues, including slide outs, that frightened me a little. Tiffin owners defend their decision by saying you can talk to Bob Tiffin or you can go to Red Bay and get it fixed, well that wasn't the answer I was looking for. While camping near Gaffney a new Phaeton rolled in and before I could say hello the owner said, "don't buy a Tiffin, we have had the Phaeton for 12 months and it has been in Red Bay for 9 months. The owner said he spoke to Bob Tiffin and wanted his money back.

This year on our way back from Naples Florida we stopped in at the Freightliner Factory and Service Center in Gaffney, SC. We wanted to have the A/C checked out and some service done too. Well in the overnight parking lot were about 10 coaches, including 3 Newmar Dutch Star 4369 coaches. Oh no! What is up with Newmar.? Well we talked to the owners and that did it for us. All three were not there for problems. They were there for regular oil change service. No issues.

I'm sure Newmar products have their share of problems, I guess we will find out and report back.

Bottom line is we loved the Berkshire XL and just before we sold it did 7 weeks to the Pacific and back and then to Naples Florida for 6 weeks, with no issues to report. Thank you Forest River and thank you Forest River Forum. Maybe we will be back in a year or so.

Farewell my friends,

BobbyJ
State College, PA
Bobbyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:30 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Feel free to check in once in a while!
Safe travels and tail wind on every leg.
Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 07:42 AM   #3

I think that I would have gotten my DW a pair of socks for those cold floors.

Keep camping & have fun.
Old 06-13-2019, 07:54 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post

Keep camping & have fun.
I could loan her the battery ones I use hunting. 8 hrs ice fishing and toes are toasty warm.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by lswartz View Post

Keep camping & have fun.

Some of us want a simple and cheap solution; some of us want another new bus!

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2019, 09:44 AM   #6

Wishing you great travels with your new coach. Fourth motorhome in five years-I’d be trying to figure out where I stored stuff all the time:-). Please do keep checking in.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:40 AM   #7

the Newmar Dutch Star is one of the coaches I was looking for used before I found my Berkshire, I have always wanted to try one of there comfort drive systems-

So what model did you order? freightliner or Spartan chassis?

Best of luck
Old 06-17-2019, 06:50 AM   #8

Best of luck with your new coach. We’ve found you choose your Moterhome you inherit the family of fellow owners. I love this group. Think I’ll keep them
omahagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 06:57 AM   #9

I hope the OP comes back & posts pictures of his new motor home.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:56 PM   #10
BobbyJ

Model: 4369 with the sofa bunk. Which was a key furniture element due to our Berkshire XL 40C with bunks. I love things that work with dual functionality and so do the grand kids.

Chassis? We went with Freightliner. The reasons were many.
1. Love the Freightliner V-ride on my Berkshire.
2. There was not enough evidence to support that Spartan was superior to Freightliner. I tried.
3. Spartan chassis jumped from a $3500 adder in 2019 to over $7000 for the 2020. Ouch!
4. Freightliner boasts a tighter turning radius than Spartan. Big for me due to a tight turn into my driveway and overalls safety during those OMG U-turns.
5. Over 400 Freightliner service centers. One close to us in State College.
6. Freightliner moved the transmission control and other items to the steering column like my car. No need to look away while driving.
7. I attended the Freightliner school, so I am partially brain washed.
8. I loved the ride on my Berkshire. If it’s not broken don’t try to fix it.
9. Having convinced myself of this I must admit we would probably be in a Spartan if the costs were reversed. That $7000 got me Collision Avoidance and Adaptive Cruise Control. It’s called On-Guard. A feature I really wanted for safety.

Thanks for the questions.

BobbyJ
State College PA

P .S. FR should hire me and we do something with the Charleston that competes with the Dutch Star.
Old 06-17-2019, 02:21 PM   #11
BobbyJ

I will post pictures if you like, but I must warn you they are going to look a lot like the Berkshire XL in the photo. Another reason for us to consider Newmar as they allow you to choose your color scheme. We really liked the blue/silver/black and grey paint scheme. And best of all the neighbors might not notice we bought yet another (4th) motorhome. [emoji3]

All the best,

BobbyJ
State College Pa
Old 06-18-2019, 09:10 AM   #12
Dragonship Captain

[QUOTE=BobbyjAnd best of all the neighbors might not notice we bought yet another (4th) motorhome[/QUOTE]

This is why I buy guitars that are all pretty similar.....
Old 06-20-2019, 04:27 AM   #13

So what did you think of the comfort drive?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:15 PM   #14
BobbyJ

Comfort drive drove us away from Tiffin and towards Newmar. It appears to be a game changer when you have to shell out this kind of money. Yes, Comfort Drive seemed awesome. I only drove the demo a few miles and in a parking lot, so I will have to give it a real test once we take delivery. I will come back and report on this or any other significant items of interest.

Regards,

BobbyJ
State College PA