Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2022, 04:59 PM   #1

FCCC Valve Extender & Stabilizer Recall - Take 2

If your coach has the Freightliner logo-shaped cut-outs in the wheels, be on the lookout for a second recall notice related to the valve stem extenders/stabilizers on the main rear axle.

The original campaign related to this called for an inspection of the valve stem extender to confirm it wasn't damaged from rubbing against the outside wheel as the stabilizers have a tendency to pop out. I had ours completed in the fall of 2020 but continued to have issues with the plugs pushing back between the duals on any trip that involved highway driving.

The way I read the new campaign letter, it appears that the final solution is to just remove the valve extenders and plugs. That's not great news for those of us who use tire pressure monitor systems that require removal of the sensors to adjust pressure.
anaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 09:55 AM   #2

I got this letter yesterday. I have the first one also. I haven't done any of the recalls because coach is in storage for winter. I do not want my extenders removed. Thats a pain to add air and I do have a TPMS system on there and I love it. ??
2022 Host
zb39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:02 AM   #3

I got the letter too. I had mine inspected on the first letter and they told me the fix was to silicon in the rubber spacer so It cant pop out. I did that and have had no issues. I put on 12,000 miles last summer.

I did call them two days ago and Frieghtliner said the fix is to remove the valve extender and the rubber spacer. They suggested using a straight air chuck to fill. The guy admitted that my fix is probably okay if no issues, but, he has to recommend removal per the company.

I plan to monitor it and leave it alone. I use TST 507 air pressure monitors and it will be difficult to put them on and off with out the extensions.
USS Decatur DDG-31 1971-1975
Inlineskater67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2022, 10:52 AM   #4

I removed mine some time ago as well. I’ve the tpms too, and always enjoy checking those inside duels. I’ve become very adept at making sure I had parked perfectly so that the valves were at the most unreachable spot. I never could get the extenders to stop leaking. Anyway, it’s a lot of fun and I’ve got the bruises to prove it.
Old 01-21-2022, 04:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlineskater67 View Post
I got the letter too. I had mine inspected on the first letter and they told me the fix was to silicon in the rubber spacer so It cant pop out. I did that and have had no issues. I put on 12,000 miles last summer.

I did call them two days ago and Frieghtliner said the fix is to remove the valve extender and the rubber spacer. They suggested using a straight air chuck to fill. The guy admitted that my fix is probably okay if no issues, but, he has to recommend removal per the company.

I plan to monitor it and leave it alone. I use TST 507 air pressure monitors and it will be difficult to put them on and off with out the extensions.

Adding some silicon to hold them in place is a good idea! I don't think my Freightliner dealer did anything except inspect and reinstall. I have the same TPMS and it works great. I thought about switching to flo-thru sensors but I don't think that would help - they might be even more difficult to get at even with a long air chuck.

All of this because Freightliner decided to get cute and put their logo on the wheels. I noticed that the latest FCCC-based coaches have round holes in the wheels like Spartan uses.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:09 PM   #6

I had one that rubbed and repaired it on the road with a new extender. The rubber piece looked to me like it had a slight taper to it . I put it back in with what I thought looked correct and now I have 33,000 miles and no problems. I always look at the two of them as a pre trip check along with the usual other items.
Nightshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 10:16 AM   #7
2023 Allegro Bus 45OPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inlineskater67 View Post

I too used silicone to secure my rubber spacers. They are holding fast and I use a TireMinder TPMS so I am NOT going to comply.
shepardmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2022, 06:29 PM   #8

Try bending the valve stem so it goes through the middle of the stabilizer

I haven't received a recall from Freightliner, but I've had a related problem and a better solution than Freightliner seems to be suggesting.

I had new tires installed all around in 2020, including the rear duals. The technician installed new valve stems.

In 2021, In noticed that the rubber stabilizer plug on the right rear had popped out of place, allowing my TPMS to sit on the outside tire rim. So, I decided to push the rubber plug back in place, which had the effect of moving the valve stem extender. On my next trip, I noticed the inside right dual was losing air. I suspected that my shift of the valve stem caused the problem, but there was also a possibility of a puncture, so I called in a tire repair guy (I was on the road, so Coachnet insurance covered the call but not the repair). He agreed with my suspicion and removed the wheel and installed a new valve stem. He bent it to make sure that it would have the valve stem extender aimed at the centre of the Freightliner cutout in the outer wheel. These are made of chromed brass, I think, so they can be bent. He reinstalled everything and I've now got a wheel that doesn't leak. I've got my extender and TPMS installed as would be normal.

The question is whether you can bend this tube without removing the tire. There is a rubber gasket between the inside of the wheel rim and the mushroom head of the tire valve (inside the tire). If you bend the valve, you could be stressing that rubber and cause it too fail. So, if you want to try this at home, make sure you have a way of calling a mobile tire repair guy to bail you out of trouble if you do break the valve stem or damage the rubber. Otherwise, just go to a proper tire shop and have them remove the wheel and stem, and bend it into the proper shape.

I don't understand why Freightliner would prefer that you disassemble your valve stem extender, instead.

–Gordon
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 09:20 AM   #9

The valve stems on mine are straight through the middle of the hole with the plugs removed. However, I can see where the TPMS sensors are rubbing on the outside (top) of the wheel cut-out when the rubber plugs work their way out of the hole. I'm assuming that the weight of the sensor causes the stem to move outward while under way.

I prefer not to remove the valve stem extenders, and I'm absolutely not going without the TPMS. I'm going with the silicon idea and will see how that works out.
Old 02-04-2022, 02:16 PM   #10

Anaviator,
My valve stems are not that flexible. Can you tighten the nut at then base of the valve to put a bit more pressure on the rubber gasket?
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recall, stabilizer, valve