Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2012, 09:35 PM   #1

Filters Galore

I have the Mercedes 926 and I just checked into buying all new filters for if....

WOW!!! - 1 air filter (but you don't just replace the filter - you replace the entire unit); 2 oil filters and 3 fuel filters... Total cost for filters = $269.00... Then 8 gallons of synthetic oil.... About $500 bucks for the full-meal deal... Makes my head (and my wallet) hurt... BUT - I'm good for another 12-15K miles....

Oh we'll - the wife always wanted a Mercedes and now she finally has one....
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #2

LOL, that is not just because it is a Mercedes, welcome to the DIesel world. We too has a $400 plus oil & filter service for our Cummins 360. The good part is we will not need that again for 15,000 miles. We take consolation in the fact that we are not gas powered where by the oil change and service would be required on a more frequent basis.

Just consider it a cost of RV'ing and enjoy life.

George & Diana
GHodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 PM   #3

Not complaining at all.... Love my diesel... (Almost as much as my wife, children, grandchildren, bass boat, dogs, etc.)

Looking forward to getting to use it even more...
ernest917 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #4

Just a Question

I here diesel owners say that they need to only change oil and filter every 15000 miles. I know some owners that go five years before reaching their oil change milage. My manual reads 15000 miles or once a year.

How many people go multiple years on their oil prior to changing??
silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver View Post
I here diesel owners say that they need to only change oil and filter every 15000 miles. I know some owners that go five years before reaching their oil change milage. My manual reads 15000 miles or once a year.

How many people go multiple years on their oil prior to changing??

05 D-MAX fuel filter every 12,000 to 15,000 mi. oil filter every 3500 mi... use Delvac 1300 oil.
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:03 AM   #6

Wow those costs are high. Mind you I do it myself but I'll tell you what I paid for stuff. Keep in mind I am in Canada and stuff costs more than in the states. I got a 5 gallon pail of Rotella 15w40 on sale for 59.99 and bought all my filters including ones for the genset for $68. The only thing I didn't purchase was air filters for both as the coach didn't need one yet and I didn't get around to ordering one for the genny. All parts and oil for about $130 bucks. Took me a couple hours to change everything. Although I am a true believer in synthetic oil, I feel that because I won't put the 15,000 miles on the engine in a year and by changing it so often it's not really worth it.
speedmerchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #7

speedmerchant - I am with ya on the need for syn oil. I really do like it but when I am only putting on 10K mi or less a year, it does not make economic sense. Doing the work your self will be a savings, even on a diesel truck it CAN be pretty expensive for the dealer to do it. I do get the first 4 free but that will be awhile before I use all of those up - at least 4 years.
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:01 PM   #8
Oklahoma Proud

I go close to 5k or 6mo on my duramax. My semi was between 5-10k. And fuel, coolant, and oil fliter was about $100+ and 11gal. oil.Cummins says to service @ about 3k I think. My buddy works for Hobby Lobby and their volvo fleet trucks get serviced about every 5k- about every week or 2.
I feel your pain!
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote