Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2020, 11:49 PM   #1

Fireplace (electric) quit tonight

I'll admit I haven't done any diagnostics yet. Due to cold rainy weather here in central AZ, its been operating quite a bit the last few days. I'm guessing the heating element burnt out.
Any factual input will be appreciated.
Thanks, Ernie
Old 03-14-2020, 01:48 AM   #2

First check your breakers. Then check/bypass the thermostat knob/button. Then take it apart to see what is going on. They are actually very basic and easy to replace parts or the entire unit.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 05:23 AM   #3

Cheap and easy to replace. Sometimes you can YouTube your make/model where some people have managed to diagnose and fix, but otherwise it's a throwaway. Is the whole unit dead or just no heat?
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 06:58 AM   #4

Check your 120 volt circuit breakers. You fireplace and your Microwave may be on the same circuit controlled by a relay switch so both can not run at the same time. Many RV's are wired this way. It's gonna require some research and testing with a volt meter. If you have a breaker for each in your Circuit breaker box than they are not wired that way. Some have a manual switch behind the fire place. Some it happens automatically.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 11:19 AM   #5

Fireplace (electric) quit tonight BIZARRE SOLUTION

Story: We parked in a RV park last Sunday. We've had good electrical service all week (50 amp).

After furnace quit last night I did check circuit breakers inside motor home, all OK. Ended up going to bed, thought was to investigate today. Middle of night the AGS activated! I got up checked electrical info panel and it was in bulk charging mode. This didn't make sense to me, few minutes later I shut Gen off. Now I noticed on panel the batteries were not being charged. So went outside to check my surge protector(mounted inside a basement compartment), its indicator lights were not on. Went to electrical pedestal and found the breaker switch was totally in the OFF position, not partially like a tripped breaker! I feel someone came by and turned it off as a prank. Why, I don't know, we are a quiet couple, no kids or pets and gone most of the time and no political signs either.

Oh well, fireplace is working again!
Thanks for all of your good and sensible comments.
Old 03-14-2020, 11:34 AM   #6

Thanks for the update! Glad it was nothing serious.
Happy RVing!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 03:08 PM   #7

Cheap fix.
Kl859 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:17 PM   #8
Ham Call N8SAC

Better than mine . It came DOA they have ordered me a new one. I took back off it . The circuit board is corroded. Everything else looked OK couldn’t find circuit board on internet. In new Hemisphere 272RL .
Maxwell D Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2020, 09:46 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniet View Post
Story: We parked in a RV park last Sunday. We've had good electrical service all week (50 amp).

After furnace quit last night I did check circuit breakers inside motor home, all OK. Ended up going to bed, thought was to investigate today. Middle of night the AGS activated! I got up checked electrical info panel and it was in bulk charging mode. This didn't make sense to me, few minutes later I shut Gen off. Now I noticed on panel the batteries were not being charged. So went outside to check my surge protector(mounted inside a basement compartment), its indicator lights were not on. Went to electrical pedestal and found the breaker switch was totally in the OFF position, not partially like a tripped breaker! I feel someone came by and turned it off as a prank. Why, I don't know, we are a quiet couple, no kids or pets and gone most of the time and no political signs either.

Oh well, fireplace is working again!
Thanks for all of your good and sensible comments.
Likely just inquisitive kids not knowing what their doing and seeing what happened or it could have been their close cousins, the little sneaky pranksters, running away and giggling knowing exactly what they were doing ;-)

Glad you're back up and running and it didn't cost you anything!
Old 03-15-2020, 07:18 AM   #10

Yahoo,,, I like the cost of that fix !!!
TGO Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 11:03 AM   #11

Sounds dumb, but check the light bulbs for the flame. My fireplace will not work if the bulbs are burned out. Again, this sounds kooky, but when I replaced the bulbs it worked
Old 03-15-2020, 04:51 PM   #12
Fla5er

After two years ours quit. I took it apart thinking that there are fuses to replace: no fuses. Basically took the rv to our repair facility for that and another issue; they found out that there are no user replaceable parts and the manufacturer will not send new circuit boards. Really? Ordered a new unit and we're back in business. Cost us $100 for the extended warranty fee, plus 78 for shipping.

Glad to hear that yours was an easy fix!
FlaNative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayo View Post
Sounds dumb, but check the light bulbs for the flame. My fireplace will not work if the bulbs are burned out. Again, this sounds kooky, but when I replaced the bulbs it worked
Problem was fixed in post #5
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, fireplace