Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #1

First the door awning, now this...

So yesterday I posted about my door awning not retracting. We bungeed it closed and while I was at work my brother drove the MH to the dealer. Well, he tried to drive it to the dealer. He got two blocks from the house and the check engine light came on and it lost all power. The engine starts up fine just no power to drive.

I had the MH towed to the Cummins service center here in town and I'm hoping it's something really simple but they can't even look at it until next week. We replaced the chassis batteries on Sunday so I don't know if that had anything to do with it. So, does anyone remember how long the Cummins warranty is and how long the Allison transmission warranty is if that's the problem?

Or any other ideas? Thanks again, what a week this is turning out to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-02-2015, 09:09 AM   #2
Site Team

Do you have any warnings on dash display. Sounds like it is in low power safe mode due to sensing an issue. Could be lots of things, DEF etc. Check warnings. You may have to reset one after disconnecting power.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:55 AM   #3

I had that happen and it was something to do with DEF. they changed a part on top of the DEF tank. I could drive it but not much power.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #4

No warning other than check engine message.

Interesting about it possibly being DEF related. DEF was full but maybe could be bad sensor or something?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-02-2015, 05:54 PM   #5

My DEF was full and I saw I puddle under the tank. I looked it all over and couldn't find any reason for it to leak. As soon as I got on the road I knew something was wrong. I couldn't get it to 40-45 MPH. Luck I was close to a Cummins shop and they had me fixed and back on the road.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
My DEF was full and I saw I puddle under the tank. I looked it all over and couldn't find any reason for it to leak. As soon as I got on the road I knew something was wrong. I couldn't get it to 40-45 MPH. Luck I was close to a Cummins shop and they had me fixed and back on the road.
Thats is what they call the go home mode, with DEF you have to let it do a cleaning every once and awhile or you'll be on the side of the road. If the engine runs it sounds like what it takes a second time start to put the light to come on if you had an OBII you could shut the light at the same time it tells you what the code a P number. it could be caused but low fuel pressure or turbo-under boost ya know there a thousand code the 2 i gave are what i see most.
Dick,
dicky1243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #7

Phil, my brother couldn't even get up to 20-25 mph. He didn't check DEF tank though because he didn't think about it because he hasn't driven a diesel post DEF. Frankly I didn't think about it either until you mentioned it and then I thought that makes perfect sense because if it was low on DEF, that's what it's supposed to do right? Go into low power mode? Sure wish Cummins could look at it this week.

I wonder if it is a DEF issue if that would be covered under the Cummins warranty? That would be a nice little surprise. Thanks for the input.

Marcusfan
Old 06-02-2015, 07:10 PM   #8

Marcusfan,
To answer your question, the warranty should be 3yrs/36000 miles.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 08:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Marcusfan,
To answer your question, the warranty should be 3yrs/36000 miles.
I thought it was 5 on the engine/chassis and 3 on the allison.
Dang it wrong again.

Basic Warranty
Freightliner Custom Chassis Corporation (FCCC) offers the assurance of the industry’s most comprehensive warranty
coverage: a transferable, three-year, 50,000-mile limited warranty with towing and roadside assistance—and no
deductible whatsoever.1
You’re covered for two complete trips around the globe.
Description Time* Distance*

Basic Chassis (less drivetrain) 3 years 50,000 mi/80 500 km
Alliance Battery 1 year 100,000 mi/161 000 km
Brightwork 6 months Unlimited
Corrosion 6 months Unlimited
Crossmembers 5 years 100,000 mi/161 000 km
Diesel Emissions 2010† 5 years 50,000 mi/80 500 km
Drivetrain 3 years 50,000 mi/80 500 km
Frame Rails 5 years 100,000 mi/161 000 km
Chassis Paint 6 months Unlimited
Towing & Roadside Assistance‡ 3 years 50,000 mi
* Time or distance, whichever occurs first.
† Applies to vehicles equipped with EPA2010 compliant diesel engines.

Towing/Roadside Assistance fully reimbursed to the nearest Company-authorized repairing location. For a warrantable repair in a vehicle-down
situation, call 1-800-385-HELP.
Customer Protection Plans
FCCC Customer Protection Plans give you the option to extend your original factory chassis warranty above and
beyond the basic warranty of your vehicle.2 The Plan allows you to pick and choose the best package or packages
that suit your needs. And the best part of the Customer Protection Plan is that it’s the same factory warranty, backed
by FCCC, with no preauthorization or deductible required.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:55 PM   #10

Doesn't the Cummins have a DEF warning message or light that warning in advance of a shutdown that allows sufficient time to refill the fluid?
magpi26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #11

I don't know if there's a message specifically for low on DEF but the only message we got was check engine. The coach was not low on DEF so if it's DEF related it must be a bad sensor or something where it's sensing that it's low on DEF even though DEF is full.

Marcusfan
Old 06-03-2015, 08:35 AM   #12

I have never to my knowledge had my engine go into regen if that is what you mean by letting it clean itself. When mine went into safe mode it was because of a bad valve or sensor located on the top of the DEF tank. It causes the tank to leak out of top of the tank like a siphon. I was able to drive it but had no boost and could not get to speed.

Old 06-03-2015, 08:40 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpi26 View Post
Doesn't the Cummins have a DEF warning message or light that warning in advance of a shutdown that allows sufficient time to refill the fluid?
There is an indicator that is part of the fuel gauge that has 4 segments. As the def is used, the segment lights go out indicating approx. how much def you have in your tank. There is also an external gauge that is on the def tank.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:12 AM   #14

Yes all 4 green light bars were lit up for the DEF tank measurement. I know we're all just taking educated guesses but does anyone think there's a relationship to changing out the chassis batteries the day before? I'm not at all knowledgeable about this stuff but is it possible by changing out the battery the computer had to relearn something?
Old 06-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #15

How old is the DEF?
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2015, 09:26 AM   #16

It definitely is something to check. I'm not aware of any reprogramming needed when you replace the chassis battery. Is everything hooked up the same with no wires that might have fallen behind the battery? I did that on the house battery and only had partial power. I would think its all or nothing with the chassis but don't know. Did it run good after you changed them or did it start acting up after the replacement? Are the batteries all good? A new battery can be bad I've had brand new batteries bad from the start. Check the voltage on them.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:30 AM   #17

Marcusfan,
did you check the gauge on the def tank itself? Superchief had a problem with the dash gauge for his def. It showed full all of the time and he ran out of def and had started to have problems. Don't remember if he had a check engine light go on. It turned out to be a bad sending unit I believe.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:42 AM   #18

I did not check the gauge on the DEF tank itself because it did not even occur to me until Phil mentioned it. The MH is now at the Cummins service center so I can't check it now. It does sound to me like it's probably DEF related. I think the DEF is from last year because I just brought it home from its winter storage to my new house where I have room to store it and plug it in to shore power. Hence the battery issue as well.
Old 06-03-2015, 09:43 AM   #19

Tom did your 08 have a gage on the tank? My 2011 does not. It would be nice to have although I have never had a issue with my dash gage.

Old 06-03-2015, 09:48 AM   #20

Phil,
My '08 did not need def. It was a pre-def chassis. Much easier then.

Tags
awning, door