Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-18-2014, 04:45 AM   #1

Fl Keys

I know several have been to the keys in the last few weeks. Dianna and I are thinking of going the end of February for 4or5 days with the MH. Sunshine Key was suggested an Encore park. We are open and have never been there. Any suggestions? It's about 200 miles from Okeechobee so to far for a day trip. Looking for a nice place on the beach or sea wall.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #2
Always Learning

I've heard varying reports of Sunshine Key- especially for big rigs. I decided to get onto the wait list for Bluewater Key RV Resort. Spendy, but nice. Never been- hoping it lives up when we go next year.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:45 AM   #3
Always Learning

Fl Keys

And, on Facebook- they posted about one of their nicest sites opening for a week around the time that you want to go, I think.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #4
Always Learning

Here's the Facebook info - https://www.facebook.com/Bluewater.K...ation=timeline :

[quote=Bluewater Keys]Stunning Premium Extra Large Bayfront Lot 81 has just become available for 7 magnificent nights commencing February 22nd. It's such a rare occasion to have this pretty site available, unfortunately due to extreme bad weather conditions up north the great people who had this booked aren't going to be able to make it and we are very sad for them.

To grab this site while it last, please visit our website at Bluewater Key RV Resort to complete our online reservation inquiry form for prices or call (305)744-0999[/url]

And, here are a couple of pics of the site:

Old 02-18-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
Berkshire 390QS

Drove thru the Encore park last year. Was not impressed at all, the KOA across the street and down a ways looked much better.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by NO3putt View Post
Drove thru the Encore park last year. Was not impressed at all, the KOA across the street and down a ways looked much better.
The KOA park was one of the only private parks in the area that I found to allow fires.
Old 02-18-2014, 12:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I know several have been to the keys in the last few weeks. Dianna and I are thinking of going the end of February for 4or5 days with the MH. Sunshine Key was suggested an Encore park. We are open and have never been there. Any suggestions? It's about 200 miles from Okeechobee so to far for a day trip. Looking for a nice place on the beach or sea wall.
Sounds like this is your first trip to the Keys.
Spend the money and enjoy it more at the Bluewater Key RV Resort.
That is if you can get reservations.
It is really one of the most elaborate resorts on the Keys.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #8

Just booked for Bluewater. Only 3 days but it looks great. Thanks for the info.

Old 02-18-2014, 02:19 PM   #9

I see you've already booked, but I figured I'd mention it anyway; in Dec we visited Sugarloaf KOA with our 5'r. We opted for a premium waterfront site and were crammed in like sardines. The park itself was very nice though and we will definitely return. Just go for a regular full service site though.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:44 PM   #10

We had 3 days at Sugar Loaf Key KOA and had a lot of issues with the electric. My surge supressor tripped several time due to low voltage. The sites are very close to each other. Since we could only get 3 days at Sugar Loaf Key we went to Lazy Lakes which is about .2 miles closer to Key West. Much more room between sites and more trees and foliage in the campground. We were there 7 days and enjoyed it very much. Other campers there were extremely friendly. No issues with the electric. The only down side is that they don't provide internet access at your site. You have to go to the office area to access their internet. We are probably going to go back there next year. Both campgrounds are at mm 20 which puts you 20 miles and about 25 minutes from 'downtown' Key West and Duval St. Just be aware that parking in downtown Key West is very difficult.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:13 PM   #11

Phil57, great find. Let us know how it is and take a few pics. I looked at their website and I will be booking there. That place has to be one of the best looking rv spots on the water I have ever seen.
sold 2014 Berkshire 400BH
sold 2014 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
grt1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:14 PM   #12
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by grt1014 View Post
Phil57, great find. Let us know how it is and take a few pics. I looked at their website and I will be booking there. That place has to be one of the best looking rv spots on the water I have ever seen.
Out of curiosity- did you look at Google Maps/Earth-view? It looks like there's a sunken boat in the lake?!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/La...3d2233e5b18400
Old 02-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #13

Out of curiosity- did you look at Google Maps/Earth-view? It looks like there's a sunken boat in the lake?!

It do happen from time to time. It actually looks like Hoffa's sedan...
geojab64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #14

It does look like a sunken boat. I will post some pictures next week.

Old 02-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #15

I have tent camped at Big Pine Key fishing Resort in the '90's, last time was a miserable time, off and on rain, no wind, humid. Fast forward to '14, have brand new '13 21 foot Shockwave toy hauler... with AIR! Found that BPKFR does not allow pets according to their web site so have been looking at other options for our planned trip in Sept. I've notice there is very little cg's with pull-thru's in the Keys. Blue Water Key has peaked my interest, but with most CG's down there, a bit pricey. We have accumulated about $250 in KOA coupons and wondered if they might be worth using at the Sugarloaf Key KOA. We've been to many camp grounds where it's been elbow-to-elbow at times, have most of you had a good experience there?
geojab64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 11:41 PM   #16

If you stay in the sites surrounding the pool area there is enough room to stretch out. Not huge, but good enough. Then again I think it depends on what you are looking to use the park for. For us it was a home base. It has a great location for day trips. The staff were also very nice and accomodating.

Parking in Key West was mentioned, we had zero issues parking there. There is a garage right downtown near Mallory Sq that accomodated our truck without issue and the price was not all that bad. Street parking would be a nightmare in the downtown area. Then again parking near the southern most point and walkng to downtown was also not too bad for us, the walk along Duval St is entertaining to say the least.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 08:23 PM   #17

Phil, y'all will love Bluewater Key. We were there last year for a week. Wonderful and with every penny. Restaurant right next to them is really good too. Have fun! LynnClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1392859391.913771.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	46486
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 PM   #18

Is there transportation between Blue Water Key RV Park and downtown Key West? Eliminating the parking issues in Key West.

Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckinca View Post
Is there transportation between Blue Water Key RV Park and downtown Key West? Eliminating the parking issues in Key West.

No, but there are plenty of pay parking lots in Key West. We never had a problem. Just be willing to part with some of your cash!
DebbieMH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 10:15 PM   #20

Well we just got back from dinner and wanted to give a update on Blue Water Key RV. This place just rocks. It is first class and very private. The lot we have is right in front and we were kinda worried until we saw it. Most of the lots here have bay or channel access and docks. The staff is so helpful. We have never seen a better place. I Don't want to leave Friday but at 150.00 a night we can't stay long.