Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2014, 05:24 AM   #21

When it happen my engine must have stopped because I lost power steering for just
that short while that is why I knew something was wrong.
bud1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:54 AM   #22
Retired Trucker/43 years

Sounds as if this is NOT a FL issue, but more so the engine manufacturer. The ECM belongs to Cummins or Cat, (not sure which engine you have.)

After driving semi's for more than 43 years, the last 20 or so with a computer controlled engine many times I had nagging issues. I found it best to take the truck to the actual engine repair place, i.e, Cummins, Detroit, Cat ...
HD 7700# tow package

Noneyerbusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 04:09 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneyerbusiness View Post
Sounds as if this is NOT a FL issue, but more so the engine manufacturer. The ECM belongs to Cummins or Cat, (not sure which engine you have.)

After driving semi's for more than 43 years, the last 20 or so with a computer controlled engine many times I had nagging issues. I found it best to take the truck to the actual engine repair place, i.e, Cummins, Detroit, Cat ...
Thanks for that info..... It's Cummins and I have an additional 2 years on engine and tranny; FL runs out August 8th.

And 43 years??? I drove for a measly three and had all I could stand. You must have been really TUFF???

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:35 PM   #24
Retired Trucker/43 years

Strong back, weak mind boohoo!
HD 7700# tow package

Old 06-06-2014, 11:43 AM   #25

time for some collective pressure??

Allright you guys/gals....

I'm not getting much co-operation in getting this resolved.

Here's some exchanged emails:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Randy

TWICE in the last few weeks, my engine has totally shut down while going down the road at 60 MPH.

Freightliner has not admitted they know of this problem, even though several other users have mentioned it on the FR forums.

I think the problem is in the computer (ECM ??) since the first indication if anything being amiss is all guages, displays, lights, etc turn off and it complains that the parking brake is not set.

Can you tell me if this will be the responsibility of Freightliner or Cummins? My FR warranty runs out in August, but I think Cummins and Allison have an additional two years.

Please give me your "best guess" answer.

Bill Fischer

FL VIN last 6 - BA7897

Bill Fischer

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Bill see the email below from Steve at Freightliner. Call the 800 number for Freightliner

-----Original Message-----

Randy,
Sounds like he is losing ign power. This would be a FTL related issue. He may also want to verify the battery connections. This would not be FTL cause you guys relocate my batteries. Have him call the 800# if needed.
Good to hear from you. Hope all is well.

Sincerely,
Steven Horton
FCCC Representative

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Called both the FL 800 number as well as the FL dealer in Farmington, NM.

Both say if nothing found via diagnostic, then I will be billed for their failure to find problem. What????

My latest email to Randy follows.

Thanks for this info.....

Called them and they say if they can find nothing wrong, then **I** will have to pay for the diagnostic.

The engine has stopped twice on me, whilst moving down the road at 60+ MPH.

I understand that since ONLY I am claiming that this has happened twice, they could easily think that it's not their problem.

However, the Forest River forums (Forest River Forums - Forest River Owners Community) show that at least 2 (and I believe more) owners have experienced this; therefore NOT an isolated problem I'd think.

I'm not real keen on paying to POSSIBLY pinpoint an issue that could have fatal consequences, for example if the power steering went out on an extremely curvy mountain pass with 5000 foot dropoffs; this is my normal driving conditions much of the time.

I'm currently in Durango, CO and the nearest FL shop is 50 miles away (Farmington, NM). I FULLY understand that this is NOT your problem, but I'm sure you hold much more sway with FL than I do.

Therefore if you can get Mr. Horton to maybe "grease the skids" a bit, it'd me most appreciative. In my opinion, the FL CS organization is simply trying to hide their head in the sand over this.

Bill Fischer

Again, maybe some collective pressure from those of you that have seen this problem yourselves would help??? I think we all know that FR as a HUGE customer of FLCCC should be able to apply more pressure to FL than us little peon owners would be able to.

I half to laugh when I read the PP presentation from "camp freightliner" where they tell us why we are SO lucky to be using their product!! Excuse me???

Typical sales BS..... always telling you how great it's gonna be. Rah-yea, ad nauseaum.

Boowho??
Old 06-06-2014, 12:25 PM   #26

Bill,
I called the Freightliner help line today because I wanted it on record that I am having this problem. I said that I would be going to Gaffney in early August and wanted them to look at it. They told me the same thing that they won't spend any time looking at the coach if the problem is not occurring at that time. I had another issue with my '08 that resulted in Corporate Counsel, Litigation for Daimler Trucks, North America getting involved. I will email her and see if we can get some buy in on their end and hopefully get this issue resolved.
Tom

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:04 PM   #27

I think I'm going to record my trips for evidence and documentation of the problem...

Something like this...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BOL...&robot_redir=1

Any thoughts on another devise?
Old 06-06-2014, 02:07 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Bill,
I called the Freightliner help line today because I wanted it on record that I am having this problem.
Tom, good luck with that. I did the same thing, and while he DID enter the info into the database for my coach, he PLAINLY stated that if it didn't quit altogether (hard failure) by end of warranty date (August of this year, for me) I would be SOL.

According to him, THAT is just FL's policy.... Oh, yeah???? Well maybe Boowho'S policy is to mean-mouth FL all over the internet.....

At this point I'm ready to state unequivocally that FL customer service SUX!!

I remember of your other problem with the '08 and your contact with NY state consumer protection authorities. I hate the gov't being involved with so much of our lives, but when a company simply tries to blow you off while simultaneously telling you how GREAT they are, then I make an exception.

This makes FL appear no more responsible than the companies that sell Pocket Hose, Miracle Potato Peelers, Slap Chop and other "as seen on TV" crap.

Boowho??
Old 06-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #29

Bill,
Did you see my PM to you? Wanted your private email so I could send you a copy of the email I sent to Daimler's Corporate Council litigator.
Tom

Old 06-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Bill,
Did you see my PM to you? Wanted your private email so I could send you a copy of the email I sent to Daimler's Corporate Council litigator.
Tom
PM returned.

I have no problem with them not wanting to invest hours and hours chasing a (potentially) non-existent problem. However, a simple dump of the computer logs over the last 3-6 months would take maybe 5 minutes and could potentially save a life. You'd think they could do THAT much without a $160 (or so) charge.

And of course, those logs are completely "locked up" so i couldn't do it myself with a $25 tool from NAPA, right??

Bill
Old 06-06-2014, 05:47 PM   #31

Maybe since it's rv related this wouldn't fly but what about contacting NHTSA. I can't think of anything more related to highway and safety and not just ours but all the other motorists on the road. Perhaps that would get FL moving? Just a thought.

Marcusfan
Old 06-06-2014, 09:25 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusfan View Post
Maybe since it's rv related this wouldn't fly but what about contacting NHTSA. I can't think of anything more related to highway and safety and not just ours but all the other motorists on the road. Perhaps that would get FL moving? Just a thought.

Marcusfan
Someone pointed out that the NHTSA wouldn't get involved until a related fatality happened. However, there is an RV industry safety group that may be worth contacting. RV Safety & Education Foundation

Boowho??
Old 06-07-2014, 07:43 AM   #33
Retired Trucker/43 years

Did you try my advise? Contact Cummins Diesel directly?

Even if FL found something, they would refer it back to Cummins anyway for a solution.

As I mentioned before, I drove semi's for many, many years. Engine problems can be as simple as a loose wire connection.

Freightliner replaced 4 injectors in my truck, under warranty, when it was decided to replace the one they had just replaced several months prior I mentioned they were just throwing parts at a continuing problem. They ended up replacing the wiring harness on the engine .. problem solved, (But I did get several new injectors)

The worst thing that can happen for an owner, or the technician working on it is, 'I have an electrical problem, but it's NOT acting up now." I have spent hundreds of dollars chasing a light failure on a unit. I didn't like to, but the technician can't work for free.

All that said, your issues is not an aggravation, it could kill you and anyone else in the coach, and potentially take innocent other motorist's with it.

Why not take an additional moment and contact Cummins?
HD 7700# tow package

Old 06-07-2014, 08:21 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by boowho View Post
PM returned.

I have no problem with them not wanting to invest hours and hours chasing a (potentially) non-existent problem. However, a simple dump of the computer logs over the last 3-6 months would take maybe 5 minutes and could potentially save a life. You'd think they could do THAT much without a $160 (or so) charge.

And of course, those logs are completely "locked up" so i couldn't do it myself with a $25 tool from NAPA, right??

Bill
Bill,
I said the same to the tech at the Freightliner help line and he said that unless you get a check engine light, no codes would be set. Not sure why that is but that is what he told me.
Tom

Old 06-08-2014, 09:09 AM   #35
Retired Trucker/43 years

What Cummins engine do you have?

Here is a link to understanding them, (however, be fore warned even though you may identify a code #, there are sub numbers under that one, which only the computer link can know.)

Cummins Codes - Fault codes by engine model.

You may gain some insight at this link ...

Reading Fault Codes on Cummins ISB Engine - iRV2 Forums
HD 7700# tow package

Old 06-08-2014, 08:06 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noneyerbusiness View Post
What Cummins engine do you have?

Here is a link to understanding them, (however, be fore warned even though you may identify a code #, there are sub numbers under that one, which only the computer link can know.)

Cummins Codes - Fault codes by engine model.

You may gain some insight at this link ...

Reading Fault Codes on Cummins ISB Engine - iRV2 Forums

340HP . I'm told that unless there is a "check engine" light, then no codes can be read. I believe the ECM of which you're referring is back on/near the engine itself.

I've been talking about the dash board "magic box" up in front of the driver.

Have not called Cummins yet; waiting to find out what Tom comes up with.

But thanks for your insights as a hugely experienced user of this stuff.

Boowho??
Old 06-08-2014, 11:56 PM   #37

I'd suggest sending a detailed certified return receipt letter to Freightliner. You then have essentially put them on notice. Their In house legal counsel should advise them to look into the issue and send you a response. Just my .02 cents

The Peterson Family
Southeast Louisiana
2015 Solera 24R

Living our dreams one day at a time!
Ecopco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 10:49 AM   #38

boowho

Have you heard anything from FL or anyone else on problem like I said before this has happen to me twice, it comes right back but still this to me is a problem
bud1249 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #39
Berkshire 390QS

Someone in IRV2 fourm just recently posted they had the same issue with their Cummins 380 engine.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 01:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecopco View Post
I'd suggest sending a detailed certified return receipt letter to Freightliner. You then have essentially put them on notice. Their In house legal counsel should advise them to look into the issue and send you a response. Just my .02 cents
Thanks; may try that.

Boowho??

Tags
forest river