Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2013, 09:09 AM   #1

Question Foot Pedal Extenders

Does anyone know if they make foot pedal extenders for the brake and accelerator pedals on the diesel pusher. I have problems reaching them even after sliding the driver seat forward as much as possible and also lowering the seat down. I am a 5' 4" female and enjoy driving this diesel pusher but would like that extra extension to make it more comfortable to do so.
kaymfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymfischer View Post
Does anyone know if they make foot pedal extenders for the brake and accelerator pedals on the diesel pusher. I have problems reaching them even after sliding the driver seat forward as much as possible and also lowering the seat down. I am a 5' 4" female and enjoy driving this diesel pusher but would like that extra extension to make it more comfortable to do so.
You might have someone make you some wooden ones and screw them to the pedals. My dad had to do it for my little sis, when she started driving. She was only 4'10 and was driving a stick shift. He glued grit strips to them also.
Old 06-13-2013, 09:19 AM   #3
Berkshire 390QS

DW had the same problem, the dealer removed and moved forward the entire seat. Required unbolting, drilling new holes, spot welding the bolts in new location and replacing seat. One draw back is the the drivers seat no longer turns around since the wheel is now in the way.
NO3putt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to look for something that would be easy to change from the extenders to no extenders for when DH drives. Changing the seat and moving forward would not be an option since we depend on turning the driver's seat around to use regularly with our computer desk. Great idea though. Wish we could consider it.

Again, the wooden blocks sound good but would have to stop and take them off when DH is driving.

Am searching the internet for possibilities from companies that make extenders.

Thanks for the ideas.
kaymfischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:23 AM   #5

Try putting a cushion on the seat behind your back. I have a contoured back cushion that I use because I have a bad back and it really helps ease back problems on long drives as well as moving me forward a couple of inches enabling me to better reach the pedals.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:44 AM   #6

Try this link:
Adjustable pedal extenders for safe and comfortable driving
Or do a Google search for "Pedal Extenders" - Lots of stuff available.
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaymfischer
Thanks for the replies. I am trying to look for something that would be easy to change from the extenders to no extenders for when DH drives. Changing the seat and moving forward would not be an option since we depend on turning the driver's seat around to use regularly with our computer desk. Great idea though. Wish we could consider it.

Again, the wooden blocks sound good but would have to stop and take them off when DH is driving.

Am searching the internet for possibilities from companies that make extenders.

Thanks for the ideas.
Noted in a Freightliner ad in an RV show, they furnish adjustable pedals in some of their chassis. Can be retrofitted?
VinceU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Anacortesians

You might want to look at Ford's adjustable pedal cluster that was an option on the Taurus/Sable (and maybe on the F-series trucks).

We have the same issue. DW is a bit under 5' 0". She can drive our Kia Sedona without any problems, but the RV is a different story. In these idiotic Flexsteel seats, her feet don't even touch the floor, and the seat cushion is about 4" too long.

We looked long and hard for a Gillig-based RV, but couldn't find one in our price range. I'd driven transit for a few years, almost all on Gillig coaches, and their adjustability was mind-blowing. The steering column has two universal joints, the section carrying the steering wheel was adjustable up and down for about 18" and the driver's seat also had a vertical adjustment.

Ford's F53 has no telescopic steering column adjustment and very limited angular adjustment. The Flexsteel seats have no vertical adjustment.

It's impossible for DW to even reach all the controls. Our "get home" program, if I'm disabled for any reason, is a one-way airline ticket for our retired son-in-law to fly to where ever we're stuck and drive us home.