Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-24-2021, 07:34 PM   #1

Fuel filters

I have a 2018 40C and I was wondering if anyone had the brand and model numbers on the fuel filters they are using.
How often is everyone changing?
We have 18,000 miles
georgewegman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2021, 10:44 PM   #2

I donít have a motor home but a quick look in owners manual or online should get you quicker results
moose074 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 07:56 AM   #3
Commercial Member

I would contact Freightliner and they will be able to pin point part numbers and which brand is used.
Lincman983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2021, 08:58 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgewegman View Post
I have a 2018 40C and I was wondering if anyone had the brand and model numbers on the fuel filters they are using.
How often is everyone changing?
We have 18,000 miles
Do you have a Diesel and is the engine a Cummins?

If so, Cummins Quick Serve could help you.

here is the link https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

On my diesel engine I change my primary fuel filter every 15,000 miles, per Cummins recommendation.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:53 AM   #5

If itís a Cummins ISB 6.7 liter the fuel filter numbers for my 2013 are ff5632 and the fuel/water separator is Alliance Abp n122 r50419.

But like others say just call Freightliner with your VIN.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
toad - 2002 Jeep Wrangler Sport
edgewant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 03:32 PM   #6

On my 2025 34QS with the Cummins ISB 6.7, the OEM filters, which I use for replacement, are:
Fuel-water Separator Primary Fuel Filter: RAI R50419 aka Racor S3226T
Fuel-water Separator Collection Bowl (Spare): RAI RK30063
Fuel Water WIF Probe (Spare): RAI RK56140 04 or RAI RK56237
Fuel Filter Stage II: Cummins FF63009

I believe the Alliance fuel/water separator doesn't use the clear bowl of the Racor, so you can't examine for any water or sediment. Like many other users, I go with the OEM Racor S3226T. Since there is no shutoff valve on the fuel line from the tank, you want to be ready with a new fuel/water separator as soon as you remove the old one, because fuel is leaking out during the change. That is why many of us bought a separate bowl and probe to get it set up for the changeover.

I discuss this in my manual, cited below, in the section "Changing Fuel Filters". I've got to rewrite the June 15, 2021 version of the manual because it contains two different versions of the filter discussion. On the page before the Changing Fuel Filter section, I list the Racor filter under "Finding Replacement Filters". Later in my manual, I give "Parts Numbers" and the incorrect information that I found in a "Fireside Chat" by Cummins.

There is a nice installation pamphlet that comes with the Cummins FF63009, which explains how to pre-fill the secondary filter, while making sure the pre-fill fuel that you add still goes through that final filter. That is, it has a nice red cap over the output port, so that you fill the input ports when you pour fuel in.
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ml#post2579202
Toad: 2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4; Formerly: 2005 Acura EL (aka Honda Civic)
gordonsick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2021, 06:52 PM   #7

Cummins has updated the FF63009 secondary fuel filter to FF63054NN

The installation instruction pamphlet I mentioned is at https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si...uel_Filter.pdf

They have a video on the installation at:
Video on installation: https://www.fleetmaintenance.com/res...-and-l-engines

They have a PDF file on the filter update, including engine compatibility (ISB 6.7 and ISL9):
https://www.cumminsfiltration.com/si...095.1635550276

Sorry for the info overload!
Old 11-01-2021, 08:29 PM   #8

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0438.JPG
Views:	28
Size:	174.9 KB
ID:	265186

The Alliance fuel water separator that came on my 2013 from the factory looks like this and accepts the clear/amber bowl that the wif sensor mounts into.

Donít know why anyone thinks that Alliance doesnít accept the bowl.

Alliance is a Daimler/Benz company who also owns Freightliner.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 11-03-2021, 10:47 PM   #9

The first fuel-water separator that I bought was a Fleetguard (a Cummins brand) without a bowl. (I might have gotten mis-information from the Freightliner Fireside Chat.) I never used it. When my Freightliner dealer did a fuel filter change, they supplied the Racor because I specifically asked them to save the bowl. (Since then, I've been doing the changes myself.)

So, it is nice to know that there is an Alliance version of this filter Ė it might be a re-branded Racor, which is a manufacturer. I doubt that Freightliner makes absolutely everything themselves that they brand as Alliance. But the Alliance brand is a good endorsement.
Old 11-04-2021, 07:51 AM   #10

Got the recommendation to buy an extra bowl at Camp Freightliner. It does make the separator change a lot less messy. Just put the 2nd bowl on the separator element and do the swap.

I tried the Fleetguard brand one time. It may have been total coincidence but afterwards while driving west on I40 I got a check engine light and fault code. The code ( canít remember the number) was for water in fuel detected. It would self clear and then reappear.

Next change I switched back to the Alliance brand and the frequency of faults reduced but were not totally eliminated. Had to replace the water in fuel sensor to correct the issue. Since then I always use the Alliance brand.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60
Old 11-06-2021, 01:52 PM   #11

When you got the code saying there was water in the fuel, did you see any water in the bowl of the filter? Did you drain fuel from the bottom of the filter to clear the water and the code?

If there is a faulty sensor, it is the sensor attached to the bowl rather than something specific to the filter. I presume you didn't change that sensor, although you may have a different sensor on the bowl that you swapped in or out.

I've never seen water in my fuel bowl, nor received a WIF warning, but that may be because I usually drive in low humidity environments. The water gets into the fuel as water vapour in the air that sits in the tank.
Old 11-06-2021, 05:21 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordonsick View Post
When you got the code saying there was water in the fuel, did you see any water in the bowl of the filter? Did you drain fuel from the bottom of the filter to clear the water and the code?

If there is a faulty sensor, it is the sensor attached to the bowl rather than something specific to the filter. I presume you didn't change that sensor, although you may have a different sensor on the bowl that you swapped in or out.

I've never seen water in my fuel bowl, nor received a WIF warning, but that may be because I usually drive in low humidity environments. The water gets into the fuel as water vapour in the air that sits in the tank.

I examined the bowl and drained some fuel from the bowl. No water in fuel.

Replaced the only sensor that I am of aware of which is the one on the bowl.

I always store my motorhome inside

with a full tank of fuel to minimize the chances of water condensation getting into the fuel.

I do live in Middle Tennessee which during the summer has fairly high levels of humidity.

Havenít had a wif indication since changing the sensor in 2018.

2013 Berkshire 390RB-60

Tags
fuel