RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-26-2020, 11:51 PM   #1

Furnace heat and ducting

Question about my furnace. I have a class A (2018/ 38a forest river). There is heating and air-conditioning for the “living room“ and “bedroom“. When I turn the furnace on for heat, the heat comes out of the round black vents That are below the master bed, and down low in the “Hallway”, and in the kitchen/living room. The vents in my ceiling come on and blow air, I’m assuming,because the air is not hot, that it is just used to circulate the heat throughout the coach?

The main problem is the “living room“ will heat up just fine. But the “bedroom“ is freezing. There appears to be and opening in the wall behind the kitchen cabinets that should have a cover on it because it leaks all of the hot air out. I am assuming that if I close this opening up it would force the hot air to come out in the bedroom. But I don’t totally understand how the ducting for the heating works?

Is the furnace underneath the coach and that’s why the ducting is down on the ground? I’m thinking if I can understand the schematics of the ducting I may be able to get the heat to go into the bedroom and warm it up. The weather has been in the low 30s so the back part of the coach is freezing and the Front part is comfortable.
Saner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:24 AM   #2

My furnace had a duct port open which sent hot air under the kitchen drawer area- I could see the opening with the drawers removed
I pushed the large end panel out from inside the drawer area and found the duct for the underside had come off
Resecured the duct to the port with sheet metal screws and mounted the panel to small wood blocks screwed in from inside the drawer space
Better air flow everywhere and no more warm silverware
myxkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 05:49 AM   #3

Rear Heat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saner View Post
Question about my furnace. I have a class A (2018/ 38a forest river). There is heating and air-conditioning for the “living room“ and “bedroom“. When I turn the furnace on for heat, the heat comes out of the round black vents That are below the master bed, and down low in the “Hallway”, and in the kitchen/living room. The vents in my ceiling come on and blow air, I’m assuming, because the air is not hot, that it is just used to circulate the heat throughout the coach?
Do you have the 7" Precision Plex Touchscreen on the hall wall & is the Bedroom Heat ON? It's often overlooked that each "zone" must be turned on separately.

There are 2 furnaces in your coach, 1 for the Liv Rm/Kitchen located in the Kitchen Slide out. A 2nd Furnace is mounted in the Front Bath Lav base to provide ducted heat to the Bedroom & Hallway.
If you are not getting Hot Air from the 2nd Furnace, a good starting point might be to remove the access panel from the front Bath Lav base & make sure the ducting hasn't gotten damaged or come loose.

If you have additional questions, I would suggest contacting Forest River Tech Support.

Mike Winterrowd
Warranty Plant 40
(574)296-9641
MWinterrowd@forestriverinc.com
red0801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 12:13 PM   #4

Thanks everyone, yes it does appear that there is an access panned in the "hall" bathroom vanity, and that is where the air escapes, into the kitchen area. I'll try removing the screws today to the area where the ducting is. this is very helpful info, at first I thought the air would be coming out of my AC ducts in the ceiling like my house, but now I better understand what's going on.
Saner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2020, 01:28 PM   #5

I have the exact same 2018 38A. You are the victim of what is called "cold heat", i.e. the front air conditioner (but not the back A/C) has a built-in heat pump capability that goes through the ceiling ducts into BOTH the living room and the bedroom where it blows cold air on you while you're in bed. It is supposed to quit at about 40 degrees where heat pumps become inefficient but it doesn't. The heat pump fan never turns off until the coach reaches the temperature you set for the propane furnaces. It would be nice if you could turn off that heat pump feature or flip the A/C circuit breaker. But, you can't without disabling the whole system. The solution is to remove your PrecisionPlex screen (2 screws and a plug) and mail it along with $50 to have it upgraded to the version 2019 or later. That improves the display but more importantly, it allows you to take it out of the "auto" mode and turn off the A/C and its ceiling blower fan separately. But call PrecisionPlex before you just mail it in. I sent mine UPS on a Monday and PrecisionPlex updated the software and sent it out the same day they got it. I had it back Wednesday! Happy camping!
Old 11-13-2020, 09:37 PM   #6

my 2021berkshire xl 37a has apercision flex controller that I am struggling to figure out the thermostat. When i set the thermostat in the 2 different rooms i only get cold air blowing out of the roof vents and nothing out of the vents near the floor. This is a brand new motohome and i Have tried finding more info regarding the thermostat online but have been unsuccessful so far.
Pool Guy 7665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:47 AM   #7
...far N Georgia!

sounds like you are actually turning on the Air Conditioner fans, NOT the furnace - as the furnace uses a FLOOR system fan, which would certainly not be coming out of the ceiling vents.
Turn your Thermostat 'fan' setting to AUTO, not to either Low or High. This way they don't come on, only the floor furnace vents will then provide heat flow.

The Turners...
'14 Thor Palazzo 33.3 compact diesel 100k+miles since '14... US, Alaska, Canada...
AND a '14 Gulfstream Amerlite
AND a '07 ForestRIver Rockwood : )
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 04:12 AM   #8
2013 Georgetown XL 377

On my rig my A/C systems have heat pumps, although not meant for extreme cold but rather to take the chill off.
Georgetown377 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #9

My 2008 Berk has heat pumps in BOTH the front and rear AC units and they work totally independent of each other....

I very seldom use my furnace because it sucks propane like a race horse....

When the temps drop to a point where the heat pumps are no longer effective, I use electric heat (especially if I’m using CG electricity)

I have an oil-filled heater up front and a ceramic heater in the rear... Both are thermostat controlled and they keep us nice and toasty...
ernest917 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
furnace