Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #1

Furnace/heat pump

The furnace stopped working and there remains 3/4 tank of LP? After reading the manual I closed the gas line, turned on the thermostat and waited for the blower to kick on - didn't happen. I then turned off the thermostat and opened the gas line then turned the thermostat back on - heard a quick "poof" and then nothing....

Any advice?

Thanks,
Matt
mstevens107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:14 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Are you plugged in? How is your battery? The furnace runs on 12 volts DC. Check fuses. Try lighting the stove to make the gas regulator isn't frozen up.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 03:32 PM   #3

Matt,

I am currently fighting something similar to what you describe. I will spare you my story here, but if you are interested you can do a search under "Suburban Furnace" to find it.

It sounds like your blower is never starting, so gas flow isn't the first thing I would look at. Since I have not figured out my own problem yet, I can only suggest what others on here have had me try. Set your thermostat to the "off" position and disconnect from all power sources. If your furnace has engaged the "lock out" safety, this will allow it to reset. I recommend staying unplugged for 30 minutes. Reconnect to at least 12V power and set your thermostat to "heat" and make sure the setting is above interior temp. If your blower starts but you still don't get any heat, then I would look at the gas flow.

Good luck.

Ray
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
2008 Berkshire Owner

Mine is doing the same thing. A few weeks ago it would cut on, run, cut off and then failed to start. I took the furnace to a local dealer and they said the controller board was bad. I replaced the board ($150) and the unit worked fine for a few days, but now I get nothing.

I will try what Matt suggested. I live in my rig 5 days a week and it's cold here in DC (32 this morning). I have no heat nor water (frozen). I have a rig built by the devil himself. Two years old a plagued with problems. Once I get it fixed, I can work on replacing the microwave and generator (it's making a grinding noise).

Problems problems...
RVNDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:22 PM   #5

Is your microwave or generator making the grinding noise? My microwave did the same in convection mode. Turned out a fan blade on the fan inside the unit (visible through the holes on the left wall of the microwave) was hitting the grill. I got a rod that fit through the holes and bent each fan blade a little. Tried again and the problem was gone.

I also had heater problems a couple days ago. I turned on the furnace which came on and ran for a minute and then quit. I realized I'd not turned the gas on outside. Once I did, the furnace wouldn't come on anymore.

I found an article that described how the lock out works. The furnace will try to start 3 times. If it can't, it locks itself out and will not attempt to start anymore. As described, you have to remove power from the coach (I did it for 1 minute). I turned off all battery disconnects and pulled shore power. Plugged it back in turned on batteries and the furnace fired right up.
RoamingEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #6

Our Amana convection is making this exact noise!! Is yours an Amana?

Only happens in convection mode. Still works fine - just a LOUD racket. I called Amana, but might give this a try if they don't make the repair before the next trip,

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoamingEngineer View Post
Is your microwave or generator making the grinding noise? My microwave did the same in convection mode. Turned out a fan blade on the fan inside the unit (visible through the holes on the left wall of the microwave) was hitting the grill. I got a rod that fit through the holes and bent each fan blade a little. Tried again and the problem was gone.

I also had heater problems a couple days ago. I turned on the furnace which came on and ran for a minute and then quit. I realized I'd not turned the gas on outside. Once I did, the furnace wouldn't come on anymore.

I found an article that described how the lock out works. The furnace will try to start 3 times. If it can't, it locks itself out and will not attempt to start anymore. As described, you have to remove power from the coach (I did it for 1 minute). I turned off all battery disconnects and pulled shore power. Plugged it back in turned on batteries and the furnace fired right up.
amarzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #7

Yep, ours is an Amana and only made the noise in convection mode.

If you look inside the microwave to the left, theres a bunch of holes stamped in the side that form a vent. Behind that is a fan that blows the heat in convection mode.

At first, I thought the fan was hitting the side of the microwave with the holes. It turned out the fan blades were hitting the other side. The blades needed to be bent "up" towards the holes.

I think they must be pushing on the inside walls of the microwave when lifting or installing and it bends the blades down. I used a long t-handle Allen wrench that fit through the holes and allowed me to get under each blade and lift it slightly. I had to do it on every blade of the fan before the sound completely stopped.
RoamingEngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Tips like these, you will find no where else!
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 03:24 PM   #9

Just to close this out - on our last trip - I took a small pick and fixed this issue. As mentioned above - you are pulling the fan blades toward you thru the small holes. Took a few tries to get all the blades aligned correctly.

To celebrate - we baked chocolate chip cookies. If you haven't experienced this issue - it sounds like holy heck when the convection oven is running.

All is quiet now.

Again - thank you!

Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarzano View Post
Our Amana convection is making this exact noise!! Is yours an Amana?

Only happens in convection mode. Still works fine - just a LOUD racket. I called Amana, but might give this a try if they don't make the repair before the next trip,
amarzano is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
berkshire, surveyor