Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #1

Furnace Mystery

Last night our furnace stopped heating. The fan runs - but the furnace does NOT kick in.

We do have LPG (more below) and are on shore power. It was working - then the DW pushed the thermostat and it stopped...

We ran the heat pump last night which might be a better option - since we don't use LPG..

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to check?

So on a separate LPG story... I started the fridge the day before this trip to get it and the drinks cold before we headed out. Well the next morning it still wasn't cold. The gauge said we had 2/3 a tank of LPG - but I could not get the stove to light or furnace to heat. As panic set in - the DW suggested I get The LPG filled. Sure enough 20 gallons went into the tank and everything started to work. Moral to the story - always listen to the DW!! :-)

Seems the Berkshire has a 24.5 gallon tank - but I am told 20% is reserved for expansion(?) and so you can't fill it completely. Anyone know if this is right?

Alex
amarzano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 02:09 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

For as long as I've used propane, regardless of the size of the tank, you never fill more than 80% by volume, to allow for expansion. If a propane filling station tells you otherwise..................run!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Villa Estate 392FLFB

that furnace thing happens to me sometimes to. its as simple as turning it off for 5 minutes then letting it go again. not sure why they do that but they do. might have to do with wind direction etc.

as for the propane, they can only be legally filled to 80% capacity. if you filled it all the way, the heat in the day could make it expand so much that the weakest part will let go and you would have propane gas everywhere and its a heavy gas, so then kabooom lol.

Also gauges are not to be trusted lol. also colder the weather the tank is empty sooner the the gauge says.
Old 01-15-2011, 05:39 PM   #4

I found a 15amp fuse that was blown and replaced it. It was labeled furnance / fan. I think that fixed the problem (or it fixed itself.. :-) ).

Note to self - get more 15amp fuses (this was my only spare)..

The Propane guy told me that 20 gal was all that was going into a 24 gal tank. And YES - the gauge was worthless. I took it off after filling the tank an popped it back on. It says FULL again.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:55 PM   #5

Sounds to me like you have a faulty regulator valve on the propane tank itself....have that looked at and I suspect it is not letting propane through...
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 10:05 PM   #6

I thought all of the new valve tanks have a safety valve to let out excess propane if pressure builds up in them. These are the only tanks propane dealers are allowed to fill up around here by law. Not possible to overfill them, IF they are working properly. Randy
Flowmaster "true duals", 380 h.p., Bilstein shocks
08flagvlite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 12:08 PM   #7

A bit off topic, but if you have shore power is it better to heat with the furnace or the heat pumps? Both seem to get
The job done, but I am wondering if one would be more efficient. Of course we pay for propane and not shore power..

Thank you

Alex
Old 01-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #8

Hi Alex. I had a heat pump in my last mh, which was an Itasca.. i found the heat pump to be very noisy and not very efficiant. I think the furnace is still the best and most cost effective way to heat. Heat pumps in my part of the world are pretty much useless because once it gets cold they won't run. Hope this helps.
polkatronron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 10:10 AM   #9
marialee-Berkshire410qs

Get a portable electric heater, use the campsites power. Propane isn't cheep and a electric heater is quieter than the heat pump..
marialee is offline   Reply With Quote