Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2020, 11:57 AM   #1

Generator will not shut off automatically.

I did have my generator remote set so it would start at a certain voltage, run for a certain length of time an then would turn itself off.

Now the generator will not turn off automatically. Did I change the programming somehow, not knowingly? If so what setting did I screw up?

To make matters worse is the manual generator on_off switch in my dash will only turn the generator on! It will not shut the generator off! I have to go outside and push the on_off switch located on the generator.

I thought there was suppose to be a way I should be able to turn off the generator from the remote, but I don't seem to find it.

Or did the switch go bad, thus making the remote unable to turn off the generator automatically? I'm traveling so getting a new switch is not going to be easy.
Thanks, Ernie
Old 01-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #2

sounds like the Generator's remote switch is not working, as you can turn it off at the generator, but not remotely...
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
Dragonship Captain

Suspect the AGS sends the signal to the same place on the generator as the dash switch.... Time to find that place and check plug. Will it START with the dash switch?

Never used the AGS, but I assume the dash switch overrides it? Anyone?
Old 01-07-2020, 11:08 PM   #4

Oscar, Yes I can use the dash switch to start the generator. Just not able to shut generator off. I'm guessing the dash switch has either failed or a bad connection between the harness and the switch. Also agree on guessing the remote goes through the dash switch.
Old 01-07-2020, 11:31 PM   #5

I bet you have a bad switch or connector. Both start and stop involve only intermittently grounding the start or stop control wire. After start or stop they do not continue or hold any connection.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 05:46 PM   #6

If you cant turn it off from either the remote or dash switch. The connection behind the switch is where the remote and switch are tied togethar that runs down to generator. If that connection is good check the 8 pin connector on top of the gen to be sure there is good connection. If all looks good and your getting the ground signal to the gen , then its probably an issue in the gen.
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 07:18 PM   #7

For right now it looks like I'd lost good continuity between the connector and the switch. I pulled the panel out and TRIED to disconnect the switch from the connector. I ended up partially moving the connector and gave up, then pushed it back in place. Started and stopped the Gen a couple of times with the dash switch. I'll check the remote on and OFF later. There are a LOT of wires attached to that switch!!
Thanks for your help
Old 01-08-2020, 10:24 PM   #8

Your welcome!
Maingler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator