RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 10:30 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
captnrick3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Good to know some of them are functioning correctly. Gives me hopes mine will, too, once they get it fixed correctly. They're replacing the flow valve and the ECO right now as the tech says he's had much better luck if he replaces both at the same time. Theory is sound and the mechanical side seems reasonable, just need to have all the parts working.
I just signed on after being out of the country on a cruise. Was wondering if you had your water heater fixed yet and it looks like not quite. Anxious to see if all the current fixes work well. Ours still works OK but I am always looking at updates from Girard. We will be home until mid August then off for a major cross country trip in the Legacy for a couple months at least.
__________________
2015 Legacy 340KP
2012 Wrangler Sport
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 11:05 AM   #62
7 Year Class A RV'er
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 1,066
Not quite yet. There was a mix up in the parts order; they just shipped Friday. Told them I need to pick it up no later than next Wednesday, so we'll see what happens. That will be two weeks they've had it in their shop! Sure hope it fixes it.
__________________
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #63
Senior Member
 
CAT-RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 7,229
Gerard water heater in 2015 Berkshire XL

Well I been trying to find someone around Elkhart willing to put a tank heater in my 2014 Berkshire. No luck yet. Got a couple more companies to check.

One company wants to replace the Girard with a Truma system.

This system is an on demand system made in Germany. It has a build in one gallon bladder tank .
They rate it to be much better than the Girard or the Atwood ?? (they) being the Truma company. I check out the Truma and they are just now setting up dealers in the USA. and it's a very pricy system?!

So I'll not go that way yet. I'll keep looking and check back.

As of today with the new parts Girard sent me. I have hot water again??

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 09:10 AM   #64
7 Year Class A RV'er
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 1,066
CAT-RN: I read very good things on the Truma, too. From what I'm told (I have not verified this, but may if the current fix doesn't work), all of the water heaters, tank type and tankless, are designed to fit into the same hole in order to be interchangeable for folks who want to upgrade. The difference seems to be in the doors and location of the exhaust vent. When you replace it, you have to have it painted to match your RV. If you have an older, solid white RV, then it's most likely not an issue. With the newer ones, it involves the paint shop matching everything up for you.

I spoke with the dealer again last night and the repair parts for mine finally arrived yesterday afternoon. The dealer has had the unit for two weeks yesterday and knew three weeks in advance what was wrong with the heater but wouldn't order the parts until he diagnosed it himself. They then ordered the parts with an email that they didn't bother to follow up on until I stayed on the service rep daily and verified with Girard that the parts order had not come through. After that, their "expeditor" decided to get off her rump and do her job and realized the email never went through. The parts were finally ordered last Thursday evening and shipped from CA on Friday! Girard has been great to work with - the dealer not so much. You mentioned that Girard sent the parts to you; have you figured out how to access the cold water connection on the heater? I can't figure out how to get behind the heater cabinet to reach mine. The Legacy is different, I'm sure, but possibly the access is similar.
__________________
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:32 PM   #65
Senior Member
 
mikeborny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 271
I just camped with my 2014 for the first time, and had me and the two teenagers all shower one after another. Used on board water and had no problems. Kids said they noticed water changing temp occasionally, but i did not notice it.
mikeborny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:51 PM   #66
7 Year Class A RV'er
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Winter Park, FL
Posts: 1,066
Seems like when it works, it works well. I got a call late today from the service tech working on mine and he said after replacing three of the electrical components, it seems to be working great EXCEPT the blower won't shut off! He'll have to go back to Girard on Monday and debug again to see what the issue is. RV has been at the shop for three weeks next Wednesday. If they don't have it fixed by the end of next week, they plan on pulling the Girard out and replacing it with the new Atwood. I just want it to work....without scalding me again! Being burned til you blister is not fun!
__________________
2015 Legacy SR340 360RB
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Toad

Gigi, Poppy and Sadie Lady...On the road, but not full time!
conceptumator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:04 AM   #67
Senior Member
 
CAT-RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 7,229
Gerard water heater in 2015 Berkshire XL

Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
CAT-RN: I read very good things on the Truma, too. From what I'm told (I have not verified this, but may if the current fix doesn't work), all of the water heaters, tank type and tankless, are designed to fit into the same hole in order to be interchangeable for folks who want to upgrade. The difference seems to be in the doors and location of the exhaust vent. When you replace it, you have to have it painted to match your RV. If you have an older, solid white RV, then it's most likely not an issue. With the newer ones, it involves the paint shop matching everything up for you.

I spoke with the dealer again last night and the repair parts for mine finally arrived yesterday afternoon. The dealer has had the unit for two weeks yesterday and knew three weeks in advance what was wrong with the heater but wouldn't order the parts until he diagnosed it himself. They then ordered the parts with an email that they didn't bother to follow up on until I stayed on the service rep daily and verified with Girard that the parts order had not come through. After that, their "expeditor" decided to get off her rump and do her job and realized the email never went through. The parts were finally ordered last Thursday evening and shipped from CA on Friday! Girard has been great to work with - the dealer not so much. You mentioned that Girard sent the parts to you; have you figured out how to access the cold water connection on the heater? I can't figure out how to get behind the heater cabinet to reach mine. The Legacy is different, I'm sure, but possibly the access is similar.

I just got back home with mine--- I haven't installed the new parts yet. So I haven't figured how to get into the back of it yet. The parts are here from Girard.

I have figured that mine will work ok if I just got to back of coach and turn the switch on an use it. After using whatever hot water I want I need to shut the switch off. Sometimes the fan will shut off by itself sometimes it don't?? So I just shut it of manually

Now that shutting off switch after a shower can be a bit embarrassing. Probably should put a robe on or something.

I chose for no robe on day---an older lady caught me out there & came right over and asked if I was married !!
I said yes. She says that I must be very rich!! I say what makes you say that?? She says that she sees no other reason a lady would want to marry me. So I wear a robe now.

Anyway I probably tear into mine first of the week.

Russell.
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:09 AM   #68
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
I just got back home with mine--- I haven't installed the new parts yet. So I haven't figured how to get into the back of it yet. The parts are here from Girard.

I have figured that mine will work ok if I just got to back of coach and turn the switch on an use it. After using whatever hot water I want I need to shut the switch off. Sometimes the fan will shut off by itself sometimes it don't?? So I just shut it of manually

Now that shutting off switch after a shower can be a bit embarrassing. Probably should put a robe on or something.

I chose for no robe on day---an older lady caught me out there & came right over and asked if I was married !!
I said yes. She says that I must be very rich!! I say what makes you say that?? She says that she sees no other reason a lady would want to marry me. So I wear a robe now.

Anyway I probably tear into mine first of the week.

Russell.

Better to be rich and happy trust me.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:12 AM   #69
Senior Member
 
CAT-RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 7,229
Gerard water heater in 2015 Berkshire XL

Ya. At my age rich would work better. Lol Sad thing is I'm not rich !! Where that leave me??

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:31 AM   #70
Senior Member
 
15berkxl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Mishawaka
Posts: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT-RN View Post
Ya. At my age rich would work better. Lol Sad thing is I'm not rich !! Where that leave me??

Russell

With the rest of us lol

Wayne
__________________
Wayne
15berkxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:38 AM   #71
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Ha me neither. I am what I am. Poor dumb and happy.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:43 AM   #72
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 741
Poor dumb and happy ain't all bad. Fewer headaches.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 12:12 PM   #73
Senior Member
 
captnrick3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by conceptumator View Post
Seems like when it works, it works well. I got a call late today from the service tech working on mine and he said after replacing three of the electrical components, it seems to be working great EXCEPT the blower won't shut off! He'll have to go back to Girard on Monday and debug again to see what the issue is. RV has been at the shop for three weeks next Wednesday. If they don't have it fixed by the end of next week, they plan on pulling the Girard out and replacing it with the new Atwood. I just want it to work....without scalding me again! Being burned til you blister is not fun!
Three weeks is crazy and uncalled for. That's why I try my best to keep our rig away from the dealer and do things myself as much as possible. I'm still watching your posts closely to see how this turns out. We leave for 2 1/2 months on the road in a few weeks, heaven for bid any water heater issues during that trip.
__________________
2015 Legacy 340KP
2012 Wrangler Sport
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 03:36 PM   #74
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Shot darn crap and that's the clean version of what I said when my &@$ Garard failed to produce hot water for my shower this morning. I do know what's wrong with it and will call to have a new switch mailed on Monday. In the mean time I can hand trip it so my wife will need to learn how this thing works also. Oh well still happy with it. We full time and sometimes things break.
A wise MH owner with many many miles under his belt said " things are going to break. Don't worry you will get it fixed but always roll with it". Darn good advice.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:33 PM   #75
Senior Member
 
tmmar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Long Island (Nassau County), NY
Posts: 4,325
Phil,
What happened with your water heater? What switch is giving you the problem? Hope you get it resolved quickly. We leave for Disney on Tuesday and hope that I don't have any problems with my water heater. There will be 6 of us in the coach for the week. Could present a problem with showering.
Take care,
Tom
__________________
Tom and Margaret
2014 Berkshire 390bh-60

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 05:54 PM   #76
Senior Member
 
dan-nickie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Dallas TX
Posts: 1,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Shot darn crap and that's the clean version of what I said when my &@$ Garard failed to produce hot water for my shower this morning. I do know what's wrong with it and will call to have a new switch mailed on Monday. In the mean time I can hand trip it so my wife will need to learn how this thing works also. Oh well still happy with it. We full time and sometimes things break.
A wise MH owner with many many miles under his belt said " things are going to break. Don't worry you will get it fixed but always roll with it". Darn good advice.
Of all people to have a failure. You were probably the first one that has the operation figured out and are happiest with it.
__________________
Dan
2014 Berkshire 390RB-60
dan-nickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 07:11 PM   #77
Senior Member
 
captnrick3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Lake Havasu City, AZ
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
Shot darn crap and that's the clean version of what I said when my &@$ Garard failed to produce hot water for my shower this morning. I do know what's wrong with it and will call to have a new switch mailed on Monday. In the mean time I can hand trip it so my wife will need to learn how this thing works also. Oh well still happy with it. We full time and sometimes things break.
A wise MH owner with many many miles under his belt said " things are going to break. Don't worry you will get it fixed but always roll with it". Darn good advice.
What switch failed?
__________________
2015 Legacy 340KP
2012 Wrangler Sport
captnrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 09:58 PM   #78
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
The exhaust switch that has the paddle connected to it. I'll mess with it tomorrow. I'm not sure if it needs a little lube or if it's bad. It's another thing that works a couple of times then hangs up. I think I'll order the switch to have a spare. The switch it's self looks like it can be taken apart so maybe just cleaning the contacts will do it.
We just pulled into our seasonal park but to late to park so we are camping in the parking lot.



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:15 PM   #79
Senior Member
 
CAT-RN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 7,229
That would be called the sail switch I think. If it is the little arrow shaped one in the exhaust. I don't have Girard's # with me. I'm in Wisconsin at the air show. But ask for Ricardo when you call them. They will send part next day. Heater has a 2 year warrantee. They are pacific time.

Russell
CAT-RN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 10:30 PM   #80
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: West Michigan/Fort Myers
Posts: 3,927
Gerard water heater in 2015 Berkshire XL

Thanks Russell. I couldn't remember the name. I have the number. I know there are lots of folks that don't like the heater but the customer service with Girard is outstanding. I have had a switch sent out and received the next day. I got the tracking number before I hung up. With there help the heater is simply to work on.
Has anyone tried to disassemble the sail switch?



Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
berkshire, heater, water, water heater

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Forest River, Inc. or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.