Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2015, 09:14 AM   #1

Good Sam Roadside assistance

$1026.00 and 3-1/2 hours later Good Sam got me a new tire after picking up a metal rod in our street side outside dually. Thank heavens for the TST 507 tpms alarm for a rapid depressurization. If it hadn't gone off we probably would have had blown out the inside dually.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:25 AM   #2

So what did Good Sam roadside insurance do for you? Maybe I'm nieve that price seems high to me or is that really the going price?
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 09:29 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by accumack View Post
So what did Good Sam roadside insurance do for you? Maybe I'm nieve that price seems high to me or is that really the going price?
That was my immediate thought. Price does seem high. What size tire did you need?

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:31 AM   #4

G 670RV 275/70 22.5 my whole idea posting this was to get some feedback on the issue. We researched the price for the tire and the best we found was $550.00 the worst was $750.00.
I have no idea what Good Sam did other than coordinate the tire replacement.
Paulie Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 10:49 AM   #5

I bought the tire insurance when I first bought my Berk, can't remember how much it was but it pays for the exact thing that happened to you.
Old 06-19-2015, 11:34 AM   #6

I'm not hearing good things about Good Sam roadside assistance. We bought it haven't used it yet. We bought the 5 year one and it doesn't expire until 2017. I don't know who is the best for RV's. We had AAA loved them but they don't do RVs. The only one that we found was Good Sam and it covers all our vehicles. I'm sad we dropped AAA after 20+ years.
accumack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:40 AM   #7

goodsam has worked for us over the years, but never had to buy a tire yet, just had them changed or towed. that seems very high, and it was probably the service guy charging you to buy then pick up and bring tire to you. we have recently heard good things about coach net and may try them.
DAPYES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #8

AAA

AAA does have a rv plus program. contact your local agent. I have had it for years.
jtesta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 11:53 AM   #9

Just switched to coach net (price and reputation). Never had to use Good Sam, so no opinion either way. Also have tire insurance along with extended warranty. I can see having to pay for the tire, but I would think that the call and replacement would be covered.
gasman94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:09 PM   #10

I have had Good Sam Roadside since 2011 and had to use them only once. Did not need to have a tire brought to me, used my spare and got swapped out the next day.
No idea what an emergency tire purchase might cost.
I dropped AAA because their rate in 2011 was about $170 for just the cars and they wanted a significant amount extra for the motor home coverage. Good Sam is still less expensive for the RV and car coverage.
Just my 2 cents.

vasnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:12 PM   #11

Just had a VERY BAD time with Roadside. They sent unqualified people to help with an problem with Jacks and slides. Unable to fix, and in fact made it worse. And then left me stranded. Roadside was not helpful after that. Will not resend on same problem. 14 Days later with help from friends we were able to move 40 miles to Repair facility. $2K out of pocket. We damaged a slide room in transport and extended warrantee won't cover it....seems I broke it. All in all a bad time.
paperbbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:21 PM   #12

They bailed us out twice on blowouts. Great service, including sending a flatbed semi to haul us in when a blown tire took out sewage tank and made it unsafe to even drive in for repair. No charge on that haul! Had bought a new RV from dealer who had swapped tires out on us, using some that were new but been in hot storage barn for 3 yrs. Didn't notice till the big bangs began. I'll stay with the Good Sam road hazard and have also bought the companion insurance for health emergencies.
Maggiewaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:30 PM   #13

I have had Good Sam Roadside for 9 years and have used them twice. The first time the person that came out did not fix the problem but Good Sam made it right. The second time I had excellent service and very quick (30 min.). In reality, most of the service agents are the same whether it is AAA, Good Sam or Coach Net.
ronandpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:40 PM   #14

Send a message via Yahoo to carluv
Used Good Sam several times when I had my TT. I had the worst luck with tires. Big time use was coming back to Florida when an injector on my brand new Diesel truck took a dump. They sent 1 wrecker to pick up the truck and take it to Ford dealer in Lake City about 40 miles, then another wrecker to pick up the 35 ft trailer and bring it to a campground and set it up. Don't know if Ford paid the tow bill or not, never got one anyway.
I have them on my new MH and also the tire/wheel warranty.
carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:53 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtesta1 View Post
AAA does have a rv plus program. contact your local agent. I have had it for years.
Thank you for this info! I learned a few things about AAA today. Apparently it is broken up into different areas. I belonged to South Jersey AAA and they do not offer the RV package. However mid-Atlantic does and they cover where I live also. My AAA+ policy was due for renewal so I joined it thru mid-Atlantic, it was the same cost. mid-Atlantic then canceled my policy with SJ so I won't get double billed. They then offered me the RV+ package for an additional $50.00 which I didn't think was too bad.

You would think all AAA's would offer the same packages but we now know that is not the case. Any one interested call and ask for it, worst that can happen is you find out it is not available in your area.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:06 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasnipe View Post
I have had Good Sam Roadside since 2011 and had to use them only once. Did not need to have a tire brought to me, used my spare and got swapped out the next day.
No idea what an emergency tire purchase might cost.
I dropped AAA because their rate in 2011 was about $170 for just the cars and they wanted a significant amount extra for the motor home coverage. Good Sam is still less expensive for the RV and car coverage.
Just my 2 cents.
I have AAA+ and just added the RV+ for a total of $164.00. This is for the + packages for one year. Wife when she was alive got me the + because I worked 55 miles from home. Was going to drop it when I retired but forgot to. Glad I didn't. Had a starter go bad on me 65 miles from home. They put it on a flatbed and drove me home at no charge. Have now decided to keep it, never know what is going to happen.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #17

I use AAA have for years. never used it on rv but used them to tow cars .no problem .I know what I have don't know with i'll get
wire1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:20 PM   #18

I have Good Sam road assistance and have had very good service from them. I have used them twice in 12 years. The last time was 3 months ago. The sent out a service man who changed a flat on my inside tire. He charge me extra $70 because he had to remove tire from the rim and was an inside tire. Good Sam reimbursed me the $70. It also covers my car, truck, Rv and boat trailer. Although on my new travel trailer, I get Coachnet what seemed to be free, but would only cover my travel trailer and one more vechicle. To cover everything, Coachnet wants to sell me the premium package which is more expensive than Good Sam with the same benefits. I will keep Good Sam and ditch Coachnet. I have heard good things about Coachnet.
txredfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:31 PM   #19

Good Sam

I have had Good Sam roadside service for 6 years and have used it twice. the last time was on our last trip. Blow out on inside rear tire on Rt 95. They sent out a tire service. He changed the tire there roadside. Bill was $750
poppoplou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppoplou View Post
I have had Good Sam roadside service for 6 years and have used it twice. the last time was on our last trip. Blow out on inside rear tire on Rt 95. They sent out a tire service. He changed the tire there roadside. Bill was $750
Why were you billed $750? did GS reimburse you?

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
good sam

« DEF | Maiden Trip »