Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2016, 08:47 AM   #21

Saw the aftermath of a scary incident in CO last year. While driving east I noticed blue lights and a large 5th wheel on the side of the in the opposite direction. As I slowed and went past I noticed major damage to the front left of the 5er. A short distance down the road an 18 wheeler flat bed was stopped on my side of the road, and the left rear wheel and tire was missing. Very fortunate that tire/wheel did not hit the tow vehicle, considering the severe damage to the 5er.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums

2021 Jayco Class C model 27U
5er_tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:14 AM   #22

Back in the winter of 1999/2000 I was driving on i95/128 around Boston and a box truck passed me. A huge sheet of snow/ice came flying off the top of the truck and went right through my windshield. Entire windshield collapsed but held. I was unhurt but scared to death. To this day I hate driving in the winter on the highway. Since I live in FL now it's unlikely this will happen again.
MBSNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:42 AM   #23

I am surprised there are not more serious injuries from road debris to be honest. While there are many deaths a year...really...from road debris it is amazing the stats are not higher.

I had the universal joint from a truck come flying at me in my Bounder. I could do nothing...hit it square and blew out my tires. Had it been airborne it would have gone straight threw the windshield. Glad I just needed new tires.

Was behind a guy once who lost an entire 6 foot steel filing cabinet..as typical he was hauling junk in a beat up pickup. Typical redneck looking POS. The cabinet lifted about 7 feet in the air as it left his truck and helicoptered down the fast lane just missing me. Moron had nothing tied down.....he just hammered the gas and sped off even faster to avoid anyone getting his license plate.
shughey00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 04:41 PM   #24

On my first big trip home in the MH I was about 50 mi from done on I43 in WI. It was dark when all of a sudden I noticed no less than 3 washer/dryers strewn across the highway!! Somehow I was able to swerve onto the lane divider at 70mph while towing a trailer. I dont think my hard stopped racing for 2 days.
FOURWHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 07:05 PM   #25

Thank you Berkshire Driver for the slow-mo pics. It looks like it is the rubber piece that runs along under side of the air dam on the car in front of you. (It is the piece that rubs on the cement french fry in a parking lot and makes that terrible scraping noise).
Tom and Miss Margaret: I am glad you are both alright. Thank God it didn't break your windshield and end up in your lap!!
2011 Honda CR-V toad
RKNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote