Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2011, 08:17 AM   #1

Haldex air dryer and air filter on 390bh

Has anyone changed the Haldex air dryer and the air filter on a 390 bh?

Just got the parts and looking for some info on how to go about changing these.

Any helpful hints are appreciated.

Thanks.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Has anyone changed the Haldex air dryer and the air filter on a 390 bh?

Just got the parts and looking for some info on how to go about changing these.

Any helpful hints are appreciated.

Thanks.
I have changed air dryers on trucks.
First of all you need to bleed all of the air out of the system
I believe yours should have a screw on filter correct?
did you get a purge valve kit and a heater kit?
I would recommend changing those as well.
Most kits have install instructions included.
you may need a snap ring pliers
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:07 PM   #3

How often should you change the dryer?
Canadianchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Once a year change filter.
Old 10-09-2011, 11:45 AM   #5

Freightliner says to change the air dryer every 36 months. My coach is just over that time which is why I am changing it now. As for the air filter, I just noticed that the restrictin indicator by the radiator in the rear of the coach has moved towar the red (not really close but closer than it has been) so I will change that as well. It will depend on your driving conditions (very dusty, for example) which will cause you to change it earlier than needed.

Old 10-09-2011, 02:10 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I mean change the the air dryer filter once a year .
Old 10-09-2011, 02:41 PM   #7

As far as I know, there is no seperate air dryer filter only the Haldex air dryer which has a 3 year change cycle.

Old 05-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #8

I'm about to change my air filter and also my Haldex air dryer filter. Can anyone offer advice, pictures etc. The air filter looks kind of straight foreword for me to do but the Haldex air dryer appears complicated. I'm limited on skills but think I can do both. Could use some help here please and thanks. I recall reading on this site step by step with pics but cannot locate it. Thanks...Ron
Old 05-21-2012, 05:50 PM   #9

They are both fairly easy and straight foward. You need ot loosten the straps holding the air filter and get the rubber hoses off the air filter. That will be the hardest part since the rubber gets stuck to the filter. Probably because of the heat. Put the hoses on the new air filter and install tightening up the straps holding it in place.

As for the air dryer, this is very easy. Once you get the replacement cartridge, there are 4 bolts around approximately the middle of the air dryer. After draining the air tanks, remove the 4 bolts and lift off the cover. Once the cover is off, you can remove the old cartridge. You need to press down slightly on the old cartridge and turn it counter clockwise. This will release the cartridge, You can now install the new cartridge by putting in the cover and pressing down and turning it cloclwise to lock in place. Lubricate the new 'O' ring and put it on the air dryer and reinstall the cover with the 4 new bolts. It should take no more than 15 mins to change. I would appreciate it if others could review my procedures to see if I missed anything.

Ron
I remember that had a 200lb relief valve installed because the air dryer was 'puffing' alot. Did that solve your problem?

If you take a look at you filter and air dryer and have any other questions, let me know.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 05-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #10

Thanks Tmmar First off yes I change the 200 psi relief valve last fall on the air dryer and that solved the puffing. All seems good with it.

Your notes seem straight forward (I hope for me) . On the air filter is the steel canister (ie is the filter inside it or do you change the entire still canister ?) I looked under today and see what you mean. So to confirm loosen off the 2 rubber hoses on each end and also loosen the 2 steel strap holders and it should come down (I have not yet purchased the filter.) I look at the air purifier. I do see the 4 bolts up top. This seems more difficult. I'm guessing I need to remove all the dirt etc so it don't fall down. This is not a lot of room but its doable. I'm going to try and tackle these myself. Thanks for the updates. Yes I may ask for more info. ....Ron
Old 05-22-2012, 08:46 AM   #11

Ron,
The air filter is a one piece unit. You replace the entire cleaner. You will see when you get the new one. As I said, the hardest part will probably be trying to get the rubber hoses off the air cleaner. Try to get something that you can use to go around under the rubber between the hose and the air filter. You may also want to put a slight amount of grease around the edges of the new air filter so that the hoses slip on easier when installing the new filter.

As for the air dryer, you should clean it as best as you can. Once the 4 bolts are removed, the top of the air dryer (looks like a top hat) will lift off with the cartridge inside. Turn it over and push down slightly on the cartridge and rotate it about 1/4 turn (there are arrows on the cartridge so that you know which way to rotate it). Reverse the procedure to install the new cartridge and 'O' and bolt back in place. I is easier than it looks.

Have fun and good luck.
Tom

Old 05-23-2012, 05:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
I have changed air dryers on trucks.
First of all you need to bleed all of the air out of the system
I believe yours should have a screw on filter correct?
did you get a purge valve kit and a heater kit?
I would recommend changing those as well.
Most kits have install instructions included.
you may need a snap ring pliers
Thanks. So where are the purge valve and heater kit located and what is the recommended frequency on these for mtce? I'm trying to learn all this stuff.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmmar View Post
Ron,
The air filter is a one piece unit. You replace the entire cleaner. You will see when you get the new one. As I said, the hardest part will probably be trying to get the rubber hoses off the air cleaner. Try to get something that you can use to go around under the rubber between the hose and the air filter. You may also want to put a slight amount of grease around the edges of the new air filter so that the hoses slip on easier when installing the new filter.

As for the air dryer, you should clean it as best as you can. Once the 4 bolts are removed, the top of the air dryer (looks like a top hat) will lift off with the cartridge inside. Turn it over and push down slightly on the cartridge and rotate it about 1/4 turn (there are arrows on the cartridge so that you know which way to rotate it). Reverse the procedure to install the new cartridge and 'O' and bolt back in place. I is easier than it looks.

Have fun and good luck.
Tom
Thanks Tom. Your info is very helpful. I'm thinking I'm going to order parts and give it a try. I'll let you know how I did. ....Ron
Old 05-23-2012, 05:31 PM   #14

Ron,
The purge vavle and heater are at the bottom of the air dryer. You will see a small, almost cone shaped protrusion on the bottom, that is the purge valve. You will see wires coming off the dryer on the side opposite the pressure relief valve that you changed. That is for the heater. As far as I know, they don't need to be changed as part of the regular maintenance and I did not change them when I changed the dryer cartridge. If you look up front behind the front wheels toward the center of the coach on the chassis, you will see 2 cable loops on the passenger side and one cable loop on the drivers side. You can pull these to let the air out of the tanks before you start.
Good luck,
Tom

Old 06-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Wilhelm View Post
Thanks Tmmar First off yes I change the 200 psi relief valve last fall on the air dryer and that solved the puffing. All seems good with it.

Your notes seem straight forward (I hope for me) . On the air filter is the steel canister (ie is the filter inside it or do you change the entire still canister ?) I looked under today and see what you mean. So to confirm loosen off the 2 rubber hoses on each end and also loosen the 2 steel strap holders and it should come down (I have not yet purchased the filter.) I look at the air purifier. I do see the 4 bolts up top. This seems more difficult. I'm guessing I need to remove all the dirt etc so it don't fall down. This is not a lot of room but its doable. I'm going to try and tackle these myself. Thanks for the updates. Yes I may ask for more info. ....Ron
Tmmar.......my air puffing noise is back. It comes and goes which is strange. I had a guy look at it. Thinks it's a air load limitor thing. I'm looking into it more. We'll advise. Thanks...Ron
Old 06-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #16

Ron, could it be the purge valve? I know that the pressure relief valve was replaced but maybe this time it is the purge valve.

Also, did you ever change the filter in the air dryer and the air filter? If so, how did you make out?
Tom

Old 06-25-2012, 08:25 PM   #17

Yes I changed the air dryer filter flawlessly following your instructions and those that came with filter. All went very well so many thanks. So purge valve ? I'm told it might be the unloader valve on compressor or exhaust valve on bottom of air dryer. Is this what you call purge valve ?
Old 06-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #18

I guess it may be called an exhaust valve not a purge valve. If you remember what the bottom of the air dryer looked like, it would be in the sort of cone shaped housing on the bottom.

Old 09-03-2012, 12:41 PM   #19

I just changed the cone type shaped housing on the bottom (per Haldex) and it still pops off air. It's popping about every 12-14 sec. There are sometimes it does not do it then sometimes it does. I have a chap coming to look it over again. ...Ron
Old 09-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #20

Let us know the outcome after it is looked at.
Thanks

Tags
390bh