Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #1

HDMI to outside compartment?

On a 2011 390RB, has anyone successfully routed HDMI cables to the outside front compartment and/or the bedroom TV?

If so, how much trouble was it??

Boowho??
boowho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 07:25 PM   #2

I will be watching this one. It doesn't look easy.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 08:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil57 View Post
I will be watching this one. It doesn't look easy.
Yeah, and I don't know how much the newer 390RB's have changed so we may not have many "contributors"..... Do you still have your '11; or did you upgrade?

I'll be keeping my '11 until they carry me out of it cold, prone and stiff.

The scuttlebutt I've heard is that the build quality of new coaches (and not just from FR) has declined from what it was just 3-4 years ago.

Supposedly the industry is expecting a blowout year for sales and will be popping them off the line like cheap Chinese Wal-mart junk.

That's what I've read, anyhow.....

Boowho??
Old 06-25-2015, 08:16 PM   #4

I'm with you Boo I just hope I'm not to stiff to fit out the door. The revamped line up is confusing to me at least. It seem like the 400 series is closer to what we have at least after the tire upgrade and air bags. It also seems that a lot of features were dropped. We looked at a new Berkshire but the curved wall around the bath turned us off a bit. I like the layout ok but nothing that I would trade mine for. When we had Brad and Hall redo our furniture and new captain seats it is so comfortable and is our own design.

Phil57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #5

Well it is a pain in the butt. There is a number of ways you can do this. (Option 1) We watch sat TV most of the time so for Mid TV the HDMI come from the Sat rec to the mid TV. Now for the rear (bedroom) the installers ran the Cable (RG6) from the Sat unit on the roof to the edge of the roof above the rear TV and in to the cable duct and out of the wall in back of the TV in to the Sat rec and HDMI out to the TV. The oust side TV is another thing for the time being, was able to get at the back of the TV under the table so when we are parked I just run a 12 ft. cable around the couch and plug it in the back of the TV and the other end in to the standard switch box that connection is (SD). I have been told by my local dealer people have stopped by the factory in Elkhart and the will snake the HDMI Cable thru the harness for no charge. I guess they will do this because there was no cable run from the switch box to the outside TV. Now (Option) is to do the HDMI converter thing and use the existing cable in the coach (RG6) also replace the standard analog switch box out and use a HDMI switch box. That will still leave you with the cable running to the outside TV. I ran the comp 3 connector cable but if you run RG6 and us a HDMI converter. The wife and I have different venues of what we want to watch when we watch TV or watch DVD’s we have two DVD’s one in the bedroom and one at the mid TV and the one at the outside TV. For the sat Rec’s we use RF remotes so we can control the outside TV from the Mid TV sat rec.
Sorry for the long reply but this is the easiest way I have found to do it there are many ways and you kind of wind up with a kluge and you wind up pissing your next door buddy off when you change your channels and his change also.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:06 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by john1345 View Post
Well it is a pain in the butt. There is a number of ways you can do this. (Option 1) We watch sat TV most of the time so for Mid TV the HDMI come from the Sat rec to the mid TV. Now for the rear (bedroom) the installers ran the Cable (RG6) from the Sat unit on the roof to the edge of the roof above the rear TV and in to the cable duct and out of the wall in back of the TV in to the Sat rec and HDMI out to the TV. The oust side TV is another thing for the time being, was able to get at the back of the TV under the table so when we are parked I just run a 12 ft. cable around the couch and plug it in the back of the TV and the other end in to the standard switch box that connection is (SD). I have been told by my local dealer people have stopped by the factory in Elkhart and the will snake the HDMI Cable thru the harness for no charge. I guess they will do this because there was no cable run from the switch box to the outside TV. Now (Option) is to do the HDMI converter thing and use the existing cable in the coach (RG6) also replace the standard analog switch box out and use a HDMI switch box. That will still leave you with the cable running to the outside TV. I ran the comp 3 connector cable but if you run RG6 and us a HDMI converter. The wife and I have different venues of what we want to watch when we watch TV or watch DVD’s we have two DVD’s one in the bedroom and one at the mid TV and the one at the outside TV. For the sat Rec’s we use RF remotes so we can control the outside TV from the Mid TV sat rec.
Sorry for the long reply but this is the easiest way I have found to do it there are many ways and you kind of wind up with a kluge and you wind up pissing your next door buddy off when you change your channels and his change also.
Yeah, it's a bit lengthy, but thanks for your efforts. I will be studying the post in detail.

As far as changing your neighbors TV channels you might look at this website: iRule: The Best Universal Remote Control for iOS and Android

It's an android/Ipad app that turns your tablet into the universal remote of ALL universal remotes.

The programming is not for the feint of heart, but when you have a VERY complex audio/video setup this app is the cats a**. Everything is done via WiFi.

boowho??
Old 06-26-2015, 09:58 AM   #7

Gents,

I've ran HDMI from the middle TV to the front storage compartment and its a piece of cake. You'll have to open the door to the cabinets, then remove the panel on the bottom right of the inside compartment. You can then drill a hole through the bottom into the storage bay underneath. Once underneath you can run the HDMI cable to the front storage compartment. For running it to the back TV, I've tried to figure out a route and can follow the existing cables through the bunk, but loose it coming up the inside wall to the TV. Sure it possible, but it doesn't look like a lot of fun.

The setup I have:

In order to get the satellite on all three TV, I use the 211 from dish receiver. It has red, white and yellow out as well as HDMI. The red, yellow and white feed my back TV. The HDMI feeds an HDMI switch I have. Accepts 4 inputs in and 2 out. That way I can watch satellite inside or out or satellite inside and cable inside. Below is a list of some of the parts I've referenced above:

Dish Network Solo HD Receiver (Vip211k) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001D2XOS4..._6GwJvbPHR1ZB1

BlueRigger High Speed HDMI cable with Ethernet, Supports 3D and Audio Return (25 Feet) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003XM73P2..._gGwJvbEVX62BK

Monoprice 4X2 True Matrix HDMI Switch w/ Remote (Rev. 3.0) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003L17134..._5HwJvbHZDNHFG

-David
trekdave42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:14 AM   #8

John 1345 and TrekDave.....

Do you have the 390RB model???

Cause they're all going to be different, I'd imagine.

On the RB the bedroom TV is in the slide out.

Boowho??
Old 06-26-2015, 10:32 AM   #9

Boowho...

While not a cheap solution, it may be easier to use an HDMI over COAX balun such as the ones shown here. This will allow an HDMI signal to be sent over the existing COAX so no new cables have to be run. Not sure if you've considered this route or not. Obviously running HDMI would be slightly better, but this would be 100x easier.

HDMI IR Over Single 75ohm RG6 U Coax Cable Extender Balun Sender Receiver BNC | eBay

https://www.firefold.com/280567?gcli...Uc8gQodAm4NCQ\

Mike
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 10:40 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by foretm View Post
Boowho...

While not a cheap solution, it may be easier to use an HDMI over COAX balun such as the ones shown here. This will allow an HDMI signal to be sent over the existing COAX so no new cables have to be run. Not sure if you've considered this route or not. Obviously running HDMI would be slightly better, but this would be 100x easier.

HDMI IR Over Single 75ohm RG6 U Coax Cable Extender Balun Sender Receiver BNC | eBay

https://www.firefold.com/280567?gcli...Uc8gQodAm4NCQ\

Mike
Thanks Mike, I was un-aware that such a thing even existed.

Boowho??
Old 06-26-2015, 11:03 AM   #11

john1345 mentioned it earlier in his post when he said "Now (Option) is to do the HDMI converter thing and use the existing cable in the coach (RG6)...", however as they say a picture is worth a thousand words.

These baluns
[bælən n.] are not very mainstream, typically used to extend signals over long distances. A popular one is HDMI over cat5/6 which allows you to extend an HDMI signal to over 300ft. The higher quality ones allow for IR (Infrared) signal extension as well, so that your IR remote can extend its signal over the same line, allowing the source to be located a long way away and still controlling it with the remote.

Assuming the source from your SAT is HDMI, you could also do a Blueray player, iPad, or any other HD source and use an HDMI switcher which will allow you to split the signals and send to any TV. If you get a 4x4 HDMI matrix splitter you can have 4 sources and 4 TVs and choose any source on any TV.

Robot Check
foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:25 PM   #12

BooWho, we have 360ql and the tv is in the slide out. The thing Mike mentioned is what I was talking about they make it in coax output/input and SD cables.But, didn't think they we that much $.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:00 PM   #13

Quote:
BooWho, we have 360ql and the tv is in the slide out. The thing Mike mentioned is what I was talking about they make it in coax output/input and SD cables.But, didn't think they we that much $.
Yes, that is more than I want to spend....... I find it reprehensible that FR opted to use composite (red/white/yellow) cables to the bedroom TV.... Even back in 2010 and earlier HDMI was coming on strong and component (red/green/blue for video and red/white for audio) was VERY common.

Basically, for me without stringing new cables to the BR TV, it's either COAX or the really old red/white/yellow.

Boowho??
Old 06-26-2015, 09:31 PM   #14

BooWho, that is strange out 2013 Berk has coax (RG6) from switch box by the mid TV to the bed room that is how OTA TV signal is routed. Let me check around there has to be cheaper ones.

John L
Old 06-26-2015, 09:36 PM   #15

BooWho this should work, HDMI to RCA Converter : Electronics - Walmart.com

John L
Old 06-26-2015, 09:39 PM   #16

BooWoo for the other end rca to HDMI RCA (Composite or Component) to HDMI Converters - Monoprice.com
Old 06-28-2015, 10:54 AM   #17

I went back and forth on this and eventually settled on wireless HDMI from Actiontec. I bought a kit from Amazon (transmitter and receiver) and 2 more receivers. I use the transmitter with main TV for source (Satellite/Blue Ray) and receivers at the other TVs. Only drawback is you have to watch the same thing on all TVs.

I use the Next Generation remote control extender for remotes. It turns any IR remote in RF by replacing a battery with a transmitter. Very slick
baddmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 12:12 PM   #18
Berkshire club

forget that cable crap i got this and it works on the outside tv with DVD,sat tv or play my own hd videos from my camera love it!
Robot Check
Old 06-28-2015, 12:14 PM   #19
Berkshire club

dont know what the heck robot check is ? but its at Amazon
Old 06-28-2015, 01:40 PM   #20

Quote:
BooWho, that is strange out 2013 Berk has coax (RG6) from switch box by the mid TV to the bed room that is how OTA TV signal is routed. Let me check around there has to be cheaper ones.

John L
Just for general info and in case some don't know the difference; and please, I'm not intending to talk "down" to anyone reading.....

But signal wise....

HDMI : BEST quality hi-def (audio and video thru a single cable)

Component : slightly lesser quality hi-def..... takes 5 wires..... 3 for video and 2 for audio

Composite : the PITS..... everything runs through only 3 wires; if any hi-def, extremely poor quality.

Maybe I mis-stated earlier.... I do have COAX from the mid-ship cabinet back to the BR TV. That is for OTA, AFAIK.

I also have one composite wire (the old red, white and yellow) that used to be for the mid-ship DVD player (which I tossed out the day the coach came home) The wire is still in the wall; unused.

That composite video cable will not (by itself) carry component video; actually it will carry component video, but without the audio.

HTH

Boowho??